Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #1

Where can I wash my trailer?

I will pick up my new 267bhsw (yay)! Previously I had a pop up and would store it in my driveway and take care of all the maintenance, winterizing, etc. there. I will have to keep the new trailer at a storage facility and I do not know how I will take care of dewinterizing, winterizing, washing and waxing as the storage facility does not have any water access. Are there "self serve" places to take care of routine care items or am I going to have to pay someone to do it for me? I am in Cincinnati Ohio and internet searches only show maintenance garages.
Riwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:24 PM   #2

Truck washes and perhaps then use their parking lot to finish up.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:33 PM   #3

The storage lot I use is in Atlanta is independently owned and doesn't seem to mind people working on their rigs on the lot. In fact one guy is rebuilding an old motorhome on the storage lot and had the motor out of it on a hoist the last time I was over there. But I know that's not true of most people and water might be a problem. On another tread there is a discussion of portable water tanks and bladders.

We also have a self service car wash near us that has one bay that's about 15 feet tall for washing RV's and motorhomes. They have an area in back where people vacuum out their cars, etc. This is an unattended site so nobody would stop us from winterizing the rig there. But I haven't seen many self service car washes with this type bay.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:41 PM   #4

I chose not to keep my trailer at home & my storage facility also doesn't have water or a place to wash/wax. I just bring it home park it on the street infront of my house for a day or two in order to take care of those items. Also I park backwards so that the slide opens over my sidewalk parkway and not out into the street. It's certainly not legal for me to leave it there beyond 72 hours, but typically its 24-36 hours and I can take care of everything.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
I chose not to keep my trailer at home & my storage facility also doesn't have water or a place to wash/wax. I just bring it home park it on the street infront of my house for a day or two in order to take care of those items. Also I park backwards so that the slide opens over my sidewalk parkway and not out into the street. It's certainly not legal for me to leave it there beyond 72 hours, but typically its 24-36 hours and I can take care of everything.
This. If you could park your pop up in your driveway, why couldn't you put the new trailer there when needed?

At my place, smaller trailers are ok in my driveway but RVs aren't allowed for long term parking. Not to mention it basically fills up my driveway. However I can easily back it in and do everything needed. Worse case scenerio, I can easily leave it in my driveway for a week or so easy before the Township would say anything and even then I have another two weeks to gain compliance. Point is, at least I don't have to deal with parking laws on a road and I have plenty of time to do what's needed before it turns into an issue. I've actually left it sit there for a few weeks on a few occasions and never had an issue. As long as it doesn't take up permanent residence there the zoning board doesn't care.
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riwey View Post
I will pick up my new 267bhsw (yay)! Previously I had a pop up and would store it in my driveway and take care of all the maintenance, winterizing, etc. there. I will have to keep the new trailer at a storage facility and I do not know how I will take care of dewinterizing, winterizing, washing and waxing as the storage facility does not have any water access. Are there "self serve" places to take care of routine care items or am I going to have to pay someone to do it for me? I am in Cincinnati Ohio and internet searches only show maintenance garages.
Congratulations on your new trailer and welcome to the JOF.

Like wags said, washing can be done at some 'self serve' places. You'll have to check those ahead of time, however, even if they are high enough for your trailer. A self serve place near me just installed vacuums on the exit side. That means not enough room any more for my TV with my TT in the wash bay.

There are big rig wash companies like 'Blue Beacon' near truck stops that will wash your TT (and TV too if you want it) and charge by the foot.

Winterizing your TT with 'air' for the lines etc. and RV antifreeze for the P-traps should not be a problem in the storage lot. You'd need a source for air pressure etc. Maybe you already have an inverter and a compressor?

De-winterizing usually includes sanitizing your FW (fresh water) system and that usually means a period of time with bleach in your FW & then draining and refilling your FW. If I needed to do that, there are a couple of campgrounds nearby that I could spend a day or so and do that... and maybe if I washed my TT on the way there, could spend some time waxing.

Yup. It's doable.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:17 PM   #7

I would be allowed to keep it in my driveway, however I could not make the turn in or out. I live on a narrow street that allows parking on one side. Quite often two cars cannot pass going opposite directions without one pulling to the side and waiting. In addition, I have a small retaining wall on one side and wrought iron fence on the other. The pop up was sometimes a challenge to back in and out depending on where cars were parked on the street.
Riwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riwey View Post
I would be allowed to keep it in my driveway, however I could not make the turn in or out. I live on a narrow street that allows parking on one side. Quite often two cars cannot pass going opposite directions without one pulling to the side and waiting. In addition, I have a small retaining wall on one side and wrought iron fence on the other. The pop up was sometimes a challenge to back in and out depending on where cars were parked on the street.
Sounds like my driveway.

I met a couple whose first and last campout each year is at a full hookup site, where the winterize, dewinterize and sanitize.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:56 AM   #9

Me Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I met a couple whose first and last campout each year is at a full hookup site, where the winterize, dewinterize and sanitize.
x2 ... Only I am that guy... Our first TT could fit in the Drive for all my maintenance needs. The new Greyhawk is both too long and too heavy, I left divots in the asphalt the last time I parked in the drive.

We just stayed at a local KOA for the first trip of the year, I purposely left home an hour earlier then normal to ensure I had daylight while I dewinterized and inspected the rig. Last fall I ended up winterizing at a different KOA... Although that was not by choice, plummeting temps on the last night meant I had to do some unscheduled maintenance

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:33 AM   #10

I'm fortunate enough to wash it at my house. But I do have to move it back and forth from the storage lot. Labor of love I always say!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote