Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #1

White Hawk 28DSBH-First Night Problems

We have just arrived at the camp ground and ran into our first issue. One of the neighbors pointed out that the roof seal that runs across the back where it meets the wall was half way falling off. Upon further inspection it appears that the seal might clip in from the bottom and is then sealed in pace where the roof material is stretched over the roof.

Has anyone else has that problem? Or a similar issue with the roof seal across the back? I have it black taped in position so it doesn't fall off more or leak in the wall should it rain tonight. Looks great on a brand new trailer, or not.

There is an RV dealer about 20 minutes away although they don't sell Jayco. Going to make a trip and see if they have any sealant that is safe for the roof and the seal both. Hopefully they have something that is compatible.

Any thoughts? Not having a fun first night...

Thanks
DavidNPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:50 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

if there is a chance of rain I would either go and find some dicor self leveling sealant or make sure you tarp it.
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #3

Yeah it is odd because it's right where the roof rolls over on the wall. I believe it is back in place about as good as it can be it actually stuck back to itself but I ran tape along so there was no gap at the edge.

No place to get sealant until tomorrow though. Not even sure what I need since it's not like a roof flat area. Maybe the nonleveling sealant?
Old 09-05-2014, 10:07 PM   #4

If its a brand new trailer and your intention is to take back to dealership I dont think I would do anything but put a temporary fix to it.I would think once you put the dicor up there you might hear some flack or put yourself in a position for them to not take full responsibility...I would call your dealership,explain the issue and then see what instructions they tell you...
Old 09-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #5

Just wanted to update this issue, as the problem still remains.

Took the trailer to the dealer today and they said they would take care of it. There version of doing so was to not even clip the bottom of the seal in place and then use clean silicone on the top of it.

So apparently I am going to have to tackle this myself. The problem is I am not sure how to remove the silicone from where it touches the rubber roof. I will have to pull the seal down, clip back into place, then reapply the sealant.

I have been to two Jayco dealers in the past two weeks. Definitely leaving a bad impression about the quality of the support network.

Any ideas on how to remove the silicone from the rubber or the vinyl type seal to put back into place and reseal?

Thanks