Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #1

Winterizing

We just picked up our 2016 Gold Point 311RKTS and unfortunately will be doing nothing more with it than winterizing. I have had limited success getting assistance from the dealer where I purchased the unit and even less from the documentation provided. Therefore I must throw myself upon the mercy and expertise of the forum.

This unit came equipped with a residential refrigerator, a Frigidaire 23 cu. ft. side by side. There is a filter cartridge installed and it does not appear that the refrigerator can be used with out it. I spoke with the dealership about winterizing the refrigerator, he said it would be necessary to run antifreeze through it. He said that if I was unable to bypass the filter, I would have to replace it since the antifreeze would make it unusable. I'm not sure what to do. A replacement filter is $40.00 plus shipping, so that seems like a waste. How is the best way to deal with this. One suggestion is to blow the system out with air then close off the water supply to the refrigerator prior to running antifreeze in. Is this a good idea?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
mtdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:27 PM   #2

Not familiar with a Frigidaire specifically, but with the filter-equipped residential refrigerators I have had over the past years all came with a filter bypass device. It allowed you to still pass water without the actual charcoal element in place. If you had that, you could remove the filter and more effectively blow out the unit and/or run antifreeze through it without ruining an expensive filter.

Perhaps you could email Frigidaire's customer service with your unit's model number and they could tell you whether or not there is a bypass adapter available. Since the refrigerator was installed at the factory they may not have included all accessories that came with your unit.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 08:36 PM   #3

Google the make and model, maybe even youtube. It is very surprising what you will find. I had to do it for my drier ( steam drier) as I had to store it while remodeling. The manual was useless for the task, but found all the info online.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #4

I like the bypass idea, but really have no clue on a residential model fridge. Maybe blow out the system and then remove the filter and store it somewhere it wont freeze.
Maybe find a new dealer and pay to have the unit winterized. First time my dad ever winterized an RV he didn't know he had to drain the water heater, well, that was a $700 mistake. Not trying to be a jerk, but I have never figured out how someone can pay as much as a small home for an RV (check your local listings), but then complain about a small maintenance repair if it were needed.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Plowtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowtoy View Post
I like the bypass idea, but really have no clue on a residential model fridge. Maybe blow out the system and then remove the filter and store it somewhere it wont freeze.
Maybe find a new dealer and pay to have the unit winterized. First time my dad ever winterized an RV he didn't know he had to drain the water heater, well, that was a $700 mistake. Not trying to be a jerk, but I have never figured out how someone can pay as much as a small home for an RV (check your local listings), but then complain about a small maintenance repair if it were needed.
I agree that if something is too complex to be undertaken by the end user, it's foolish to not invest the money to let an expert do it. That said, winterizing a trailer is something which is designed to be performed by the owner. I've done it many times and have never had a problem. I just think that the information provided by Jayco in their owner's manual is incomplete as was the orientation process. I believe I have solved the problem, for this year.

Jim
mtdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #6

I know this is a bit of an older post, but I see an answer was never posted.

I have the 375BHFS and had the same question. My dealer did run anti freeze through my Samsung fridge filter. Samsung does in fact sell a bypass filter. It's basically made for residential homes that already have whole house water filtration therefore it doesn't need to be filtered again. The system in the fridge will not run if it doesn't have a filter or bypass installed.