Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #1

Worn Tires

Hello All,

Just got back from our first long trip in the WhiteHawk. Trip was great! From Florida to Charleston to Smoky Mountains, TN, back to Florida. The problem is, once we arrived at the Smokys I noticed that our driver side, inner edge of the rear tire on the WH had nearly worn down the tread to the tire. The other tires were fine. The tires only had about 1000 miles on them. Tire pressure was good and the WhiteHawk was not overloaded or even close. I changed the tire to the spare for the way home. The spare wore a little on the way home. I think there is something wrong with the camber on the rear axle, but I really don't know. I have an appointment to take it in for work on October 5th. My question to the group is, do you think the warranty will not only fix my problem, but also replace the tire?
Equalizer Brand 10,000 lb. WD Hitch
Bamm737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #2

I can only guess but I would think your tire would be replaced.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #3

I think the arguement can be made that the axel caused the excessive tire wear and you are due another 2 tires. The other option would be to go through the manufacturer, but that would be harder. I think Jayco will step up for you.

I've found it faster and easier to take photos, write Jayco directly with the issues, obtain a claim # then go and get the work done. The dealer has nothing to do but file the claim number and the parts are sent in to fix my issues. This speeds up the process and does make it easier for the dealer. I've found the dealers sometimes have to wait as long as us for responses. Obviously you have a little more diagnosis to do in finding the issue, but you might know where you stand with Jayco ahead of the work as it relates to tires.

Good luck.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #4

I think that new tires would not be to much to expect. What has happened is definately not normal.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #5

I agree, that is not normal. Sounds like a bent axle or spindle might be the problem. Maybe before you took delivery someone put a jack under the axle where it won't support the full weight of the unit, and bent it, or maybe the spindle was not welded on straight. Any way you slice it, there is a warranty issue here, IMHO, and it needs to be fixed pronto. Then the two tires should be added under warranty.
Retired at last !

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tinlizzie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #6

After a month at the dealer, I'm getting the whitehawk back. Everything is covered under warranty. The odd thing is, they say they can find no reason the tire wore so quickly. I am concerned that I will take it on another big trip next summer only to have the same issue. I also had the Darco material under the slide out replaced under warranty. It had a tear in it as if a screw were sticking up under the slide and ripping it as it slid in and out. This repair required them to replace the linoleum flooring because the slide had to be hyper extended for the repair.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #7

Bill, we have the same problem with worn tires on our 2010 Jayco Sport 165. I took her to an axle shop here is Phoenix and they believe it is a tire pressure issue. We'll see. Please keep the forum posted on your results as will I.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #8

I really appreciate folks like Bill and Richard & Marilyn posting these types of issues. It's good to read these things before I actually take ownership of my JayFlight because it gives me things to pay extra close attention to. We plan to take a few "shakedown" trips before any long hauls, but still . . . these type of things are good to know. Thank you both!

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #9

The dealer suggested it could have been a tire pressure issue and maybe that was the case. The thing that causes me to wonder is I was very careful to check tire pressure before hauling it any distance. All four tire pressures were correct and equal. I can't explain it. Maybe somewhere along the road, I lost pressure in that tire. I will probably check pressure at fill-ups on my next long road trip. The valuable lesson learned is to do a good walk around (and under) before each trip, long or short. It's also not a bad idea to take a look under the slide out. If I had not decided to take a look, I would have not discovered the protective fabric was ripping from a manufacture defect.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:16 AM   #10

BIll, have you done a search on some of the other RV forums for people who have had similar problems. Try RV.net and some others because I remember reading about this same problem on other forums. I know John from the Sunline forum had the same issue. He went as far as replacing his axels if I remember right but I don't think he confirmed that it fixed the problem.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #11

Tires don't lose pressure on just one side. I have seen a loose hub nut cause this problem.
Durasam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #12

Durasam, that would sure make for a logical explanation. Would the bearing become loose if this happened?
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #13

That is a good idea to research it and I will. My concern is it was supposed to have been diagnosed at the dealer and I have a suspicion that they did nothing more than throw another tire on it. When I replaced the spare I checked out the hub. Everything seemed sound to me, but that was me eyeballing it. I guess when I take it on another long haul next fall it will still be under warranty. If I get the same response, I will have to demand more from the dealer. Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I guess it would be easy enough if you have time to just knock the hub cover off and check that the nut is tight and cotter pin/flange washer is installed correctly?

Best regards,
Doug
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #15

I have a 2011 Jayco 29RLDS and had the exact same problem - excessive inside wear on both tires on the rear axle. Given I had about three months left on my warranty I took it back to the dealer where it was purchased. They asked me if had overloaded the trailer (no) or had I hit or backed into something (no). Their only explanation was the axle had lost its camber which caused the excessive tire wear. They worked with Jayco and thankfully got me a new axle and a new set of tires under warrenty. This will be somthing I keep an eye going forward.
JABMPM is offline   Reply With Quote