Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #1

Yellow spots on 2012 x213 cieling..water damage?

Any other JayFeather owner out there seen this? Haven't owned it 30 days. Noticed these spots on our first camping trip this weekend. Looked on top of the roof. Seems to be a 4 inch stretch where there isn't any caulk at the edge of the rubber roof...maybe from the factory? After 100 hours of research, we bought the Jayco brand because dealers and owners said Jayco really stands behind there product. I sure hope so!! This unit is a "new" leftover from 2012. Dropped it off at Rapids RV in Wisconsin Rapids. Can't wait to hear what they and Jayco have to say. The big question is, this unit has been sitting outside on their lot, leaking water into the inside of the roof for a good year, how much damage is really up there???
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	7961
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Caleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #2

The dealer thinks its adhesive someone must have had on their hands during construction. They want to try and clean it off and seal that spot where the caulk is missing. The only problem with that theory is, these spots have grown in size since we noticed them. I'm not looking for a fast easy cover up and 3 years from now, I have a roof falling in on my camper and it's no longer under warranty. It goes without saying I'm just a little more than unhappy about this. Not what I thought I'd get when I bought a new Jayco. Also... haven't had any response from Jayco yet on the issue. Anyone else out there had a issue like this one?? Anyone??
Old 05-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #3

Looks like some sort of water leakage or chemical stain. How many others? Confined to same area?
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #4

The 3 spots that are in the picture are all the spots we noticed. However, when we first noticed them there were only 2 spots and now all the spots have grown in size. I believe it's adhesive for sure.... but I think it's leaking water that's bringing it through the ceiling panel to our side where we can now see it. There is no other reason in my mind why adhesive on the top part of the panel, can show up on the bottom part of the panel. And what's above that panel? Wood...and wood + water = damage/rot/cost/unhappy camper. Sorry, I'm also doing a little venting right now too. It's issues like this that made us buy a NEW camper and not a used one with problems like LEAKING ROOFS! Grrr
Old 05-13-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I've had some moisture damage a few years back, but didn't have a colored stain such as yours on the ceiling. On my ceiling there were numerous protruding "dimples" that formed that indicated that moisture had penetrated the ceiling material from above (moisture reacting with the adhesives & ceiling material).

What your dealer is stating is possible, but your comment that the "spots have grown in size" does bring question to their deduction (could be ceiling adhesive stain coming through)...., but then again a grease smudge can spread a little over time as it's absorbed.

If in fact the lack of caulking in the area you pointed out is allowing moisture to get behind the drip rail, I guess it would be possible for the moisture to find it's way into the inner frame structure (depends on how the drip rail is attached over the roofing material).

Just thinking out loud here..

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #6

Thanks for your thoughts Bob! It is very strange. The only way to really know for sure would be to rip the whole thing apart. But of course, it would suck to do that and find out there really isn't any water leakage. If it were me... I would just hose down that area with the missing caulk to see if those spots inside got any worse. It's a tough problem to figure out. There isn't anything else on the roof near that damage. Everything else on the roof is located further towards the front of the trailer, air conditioner, vents, ect. Rubber roof looks like its in good shape (it should be for being only 1 year old).
Old 05-13-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I would do a thorough inspection of the entire roof...; all seams, vent caulking, stink pipes, etc., just to eliminate any other moisture entry possibilities (check every spring/fall). Also check to insure that your A/C bolts are tightened properly against the roof gasket seal (http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ffected/page11).

If at any point you remain uncomfortable with the end resolution, you can always have a "RV leak pressure test" preformed, many RV dealers can do this (http://rvleaks.com/)...., if you do this be present during the test.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
Old 05-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
A fast and easy check is to go to that same spot outside you photographed with the missing caulk, pull the vinyl cover off, and remove a few of the screws out in that area. If the screw has blackened and or rusted then your likely dealing with long term water intrusion.

The check should only take a few minutes but will be very telling.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #9

I will also state, one thing that bothers me on Jayco is the use of butyl tape only on the roof edges, slide extrusions, and corner trim. Every manufacturer I've owned before used butyl under the trim and finished off the edge with an industrial RV sealer like Geocel or Sikaflex.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #10

That's a great idea! The trailer is 60 miles away right now at the dealer but I will pass along this method and check those screws myself when I get the trailer back.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:10 AM   #11

We had spots like that show up in our old trailer. they were caused by a build of of moisture, but not from a leak, they were from too high humidity, so probably a different source than yours, but same issue... water. I would suggest trying to remove one with some oxi clean and a mr clean magic eraser, just to see how deep the stain goes. This will tell you if it is a surface stain from humidity, or a leakage stain from the roof. But if your not allowed to do that without nullifying your warranty... Then please disregard what I just said!

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #12

Here is a update to the issue. Dealer called and said "We still believe its only glue left behind from construction. We have cleaned the yellow spots, re-caulked the drip rail, and it is waiting for you to pick it up. We don't think there was ever a leak." So I drove the hour one way required to pick it up. They indeed re-caulked the rails but I will need to finish cleaning off the yellow spots because they are about 50% still there as you can see in the picture. I think it'll come all the way clean with some elbow grease. If it wouldn't have cost me another 3 hours of driving I would have left it there for them to finish. I'm still not buying into this 100% but I'll play along for a bit and if there's future damage in that area, at least the dealer and Jayco will know when it really started. For now, I'm just glad to have it home next to our garage, ready to go camping at a moments notice.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	8025
Old 05-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #13

Now go do as I instructed, the vinyl track cover is easy to open up, remove a few screws. If I found rusted or corroded screw threads I'd call Jayco directly. Water in a laminated structure doesn't go away and makes a terrible sleeping dog....
Old 05-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #14

We did remove several screws from the drip rail in that area. They look like new. Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 05-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Loveless View Post
snip...... I'm still not buying into this 100% but I'll play along for a bit and if there's future damage in that area, at least the dealer and Jayco will know when it really started.....snip
I would get a copy of the Warranty Service Claim Request that the dealer should have generated...., that way you know it's in Jayco's system.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS