Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #1

Toilet stopping up

Toilet stopping up. I can run a cloths hanger down it and it will unstop it but then it stops right back up if toilet paper is put down it. I only use Rv toilet paper. Does anyone have any ideas and does anyone know if it just dumps straight in the tank
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:16 PM   #2
Site Team

I depends on the rigs floorplan. If you look down and see water you will know. Some have a 45 deg or even more bend.

I would get a hand closet auger, plumbing tool, and run it down there. Sounds like something is stuck part way down.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:45 PM   #3

It does have a 45 so I might have to give that a try thanks
Old 04-06-2016, 03:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Toilet stopping up. I can run a cloths hanger down it and it will unstop it but then it stops right back up if toilet paper is put down it. I only use Rv toilet paper. Does anyone have any ideas and does anyone know if it just dumps straight in the tank
Had the same problem a few years back. I used a coat hanger, a snake, extra water...nothing worked. Finally bought one of the hose end washers and never again had a problem. There was a wad of paper glued to the inside of the drain pipe going from the bowl to the black tank.
The hose end washer is a 30" wand that hooks to a garden hose, and has a flexible hose about the same length at the end of the rigid wand. At the end of the hose is a brass fitting that spins when you run water thru it. Makes very quick work of cleaning out the drain line. I think I paid less than $20 for it at Wal-Mart. Any camping store should have them. I think it's made by Camco and is called a Swivel Stik Tank Rinser. Just Google "rv toilet auger".
Good luck!
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:21 PM   #5

We sometimes get the same thing in our X213. The toilet flushes straight down into the tank. If you shine a flashlight in there you can see right into the tank. Below the flush valve on the toilet it gets slightly wider and then there is a step where it goes into the pipe into the tank. Wads of paper and other stuff sometimes get caught on the step and cause a block.
After searching around a treeless campsite for something to stick down there to clear the block I now keep a long handle from a dustpan in the bumper just for this.
We use Costco toilet paper as the RV stuff is garbage, but it used to do it with the RV stuff as well.
Simplest solution I can see is flushing less paper at a time, but this seems impossible for my wife and daughter, so I will hang on to my poop unblocking tool.
rodandmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:13 PM   #6

Had a similar problem in the past with the tp mountain. In my case it was a result of not flushing long enough. The ratio of water to solids was allowing a build up. Not realizing, it caused an odour back up. I solved it by using a large volume flush. I filled a pail and dropped it down the hole. It moved the build up and stopped the odour. Now we carry a collapsable pale from the dollar store and occasionally flush with that. Also make sure for a longer flush to increase water in the tank.
Even with the black tank flush it doesn't get all of it. When I winterize I flush the tank with about 5, 5 gal pail flushes until it runs clear. I do the same thing for the sink and shower drains to move the sediment out of the traps and put antifreeze in the traps when running the taps.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:15 PM   #7

I will get one of the wands and try it . Thanks
Old 04-06-2016, 07:23 PM   #8

I have tried pouring the water down it . It hasn't worked so far. Thanks
Old 04-07-2016, 07:15 AM   #9

Did you try HOT water?
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:42 AM   #10

I tried the hot water
Old 04-07-2016, 07:33 PM   #11

Guys just take our word for it that it's hard to dry with "itty bits" of toilet paper and I got tired of trying. This is my compromise. On "number 1", I use all the TP I want and then put it in a small flip top garbage can that is emptied daily. On "#2" I use all the TP I want and flush it so I'm still flushing lots less paper and not filling up my tank nearly as fast when I don't have full hookups. TMI? Just a suggestion.
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #12

I'll be curious to hear how the Swivel Stik works. I've never had another problem since the one time i needed it.

I know a lot of folks say you dont have to use RV toilet paper but believe me it works. Take two squares of RV paper and two of regular paper and put each into a glass of tap water. The RV paper should dissolve quickly, while the regular paper wont (if it does it's ok to use, if not it isn't). That's why you want to use RV paper and could be what's causing your issue.

On the issue of rinsing the black tank, I dump mine every other day when i have full hook ups and let the black tank wash do its job for a couple of minutes each time. I know you're not supposed to let it run with the dump valve closed but 30 seconds of the wash in a closed tank will only introduce a couple of gallons of water...not enough to cause a pressure build up or overflow (if your tank is less than 2/3 full). Always wash until the discharge runs clear. Get one of the clear 45 fittings for your sewer hose...great investment. Flushing the tank won't get paper that's stuck in the pipe between the stool and tank but then again that's why you use RV paper and allow for adequate water to run when you flush the toilet. Dry camping with limited water is another reason for the correct paper....it dissolves quickly even in limited water.

Just my two cents worth......
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:46 PM   #13

We have had some problems in the past and now we use a close to full bowl before we ever flush and it stays clean... no matter how little toilet paper you use if there isn't enough water to wash it down it will continue to build up until there isn't enough opening to flush
Old 04-07-2016, 09:06 PM   #14

Thanks for all the information . I am going to order the swivel stick and I will let you know how it works . I will also make sure we flush more water down when we use it. Thanks
Old 04-07-2016, 09:18 PM   #15

YW and good luck , theres nothing worse than a clogged toilet in the camper
Old 04-08-2016, 06:57 AM   #16

It only takes one clog....and then you learn! I used the swivel stick and that's what finally did the trick but I continued to use another item I purchased and I was always amazed at how much paper stayed in the tank (I didn't have a tank wash then nor do I on this camper). I bought one of the "dual" clear fittings for the sewer hose at Camping World. One side discharges the waste. The other side connects to a hose and with pressure backwashes the tank by turning a small lever. (You use a separate hose than for anything else and there is a fitting that goes on the faucet to keep any contamination away from the faucet.) I let that go with my other camper and wish I had one now.
This is sort of like the one I had:
Hydroflush 90° - $16.49
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:36 AM   #17

I am assuming the 45 degree elbow is on the black tank drain. You do need to get the tank cleaned out and then prevent it from happening.

I hear a lot of discussion, but I have not heard of much regarding the root cause of the issue. To me, it sounds like the tank has been to dry. After dumping make sure to add a number of gallons of water into the tank. The amount really depends on how big your black tank is. For my HTT, I add about 3 gallons of water. For some of the big TTs you may need to add 5+ gallons. When you flush the toilet make sure to use plenty of water. Before dumping, fill the tank at least ¾ full, then dump. If you are at a full hookup site, do not leave your black tank valve open. Fill the tank then dump. All that water will push the crude down the line. Otherwise most of the paper and poop stay in the tank, build up, dries out, and makes a blockage, or a poop pyramid under the toilet.

To clean the tank you might need a wand described above. For the job you might want a full hook up site, as it could take some time and a lot of water. For the next few trips I would recommend adding a bit extra water after dumping, and add liquid fabric softener (~1 cup) or water softener. Both work. I mix the fabric soften with the water in a 5 gallon bucket and pour it down the drain(s). The softener is a surfactant, which decreases the surface tension and makes the water “wetter”, hence it will penetrate into the crude, and help soften it up quicker. Whenever my sensors start acting up a cup of fabric softener is down the drains for a few trips. The sloshing action of driving really helps the process. It even helps with the grey tank sensors. Another trick people like to use is pour a large bag of ice down the toilet right before towing. It bounces around helping break loose the crude.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaneta View Post
Guys just take our word for it that it's hard to dry with "itty bits" of toilet paper and I got tired of trying. This is my compromise. On "number 1", I use all the TP I want and then put it in a small flip top garbage can that is emptied daily. On "#2" I use all the TP I want and flush it so I'm still flushing lots less paper and not filling up my tank nearly as fast when I don't have full hookups. TMI? Just a suggestion.
Scotts RV TP (with adequate water during the flush) will allow you to use as much TP as you want for either number
I use the Sewer Solution and hardly ever see a piece of TP come through the clear fitting during "the dump". It dissolves almost instantly.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:28 PM   #19

In the rv toilet, you aren't guaranteed as much water in the bowl as you would have at home. Plenty of water when you flush is the key. Half fill the bowl before dropping paper in it, and it will wash down easily with little problem. It will also keep the drain pipe from collecting all that stuff and causing a clog nearly as often.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:53 PM   #20

the swivel stik worked great. It cleaned it out good. It washed out all of the toilet paper that was stuck in the pipe going to the tank. I also bought one of the clear drain pieces so I could see when the tank is clean when I am using the tank washer on the camper. Thanks for all the input. It will make the next camping trip better.