Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-22-2017, 08:21 AM   #1

Why an A-Frame by "Outdoorsy"

Tripped over this cool article on Why A-Frame Trailers are good for families on a bugget. Actually some of this factored in to why I bought one (but I had not seen the article yet)

https://www.outdoorsy.co/blog/4-reas...s-on-a-budget/

2016 Jayco Jay Series Hardwall 12BSB
2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade
BC Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:44 AM   #2

Looks gorgeous, but it would be too small for my frame.
Sailorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:44 AM   #3

Would like to being camping at the campground in the article about A frames
Corgidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:11 AM   #4

This article brings up many good points. But one thing it doesn't mention is that A-frames are much more secure - from thieves and bears!
Old 05-23-2019, 04:19 AM   #5

Yeah, very cool, thanks
Dannymir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:43 AM   #6

We looked very hard at A style camper when looking to replace our pop-up along with small teardrop campers. our requirements were
1. Towablity 2. Bathroom ( as we are getting older the bathroom breaks increase in frequency) 3. Hard walls, to camp in areas that require them i.e. no fabric walled campers. 4. Weight. #3500 was our limit.
Granted this is for the 2 of us we don't have kids.

A few things killed the A style camper for us. First when you start checking off the boxes when you start putting a bath in a A frame your weight starts getting close to a small TT like the Jayco 145rb or 154rb.

Lack of a easy to use awning. Most Teardrop and A style campers don't have a easy to use awning. To me the awning is your front porch to the world of camping, its our main living room unless its raining hard.

Lower counter tops, due to the folding nature of the A style like with a pop-up the counter space is lower which is a pain in the back, the knees, ankles oh dear it's bad getting older. Granted the High Wall folding campers have made it easier.

Lack of useable headroom / wasted interior space While our 145rb isn't a mobile McMansion compared to the old pop-up we can walk back to front. We love the overhead cabinets

No origami dormers to increase interior space or Jenga bathroom panels to install while you're making a "pit stop" oh darn I might as well go behind the tree, from what I understand trees start getting more scarce west of the Mississippi and cactus can ruin your day.

Dust and air leaks. I didn't think about this until I watched Slim PotatoHead on YouTube talk about the gaps in his Aliner. btw great guy to watch.

Easier to stealth camp. If you are stopping for a overnight at a Wallyworld or other parking lot to sleep the TT allows you to get in and relax and be in noticed.

Now on the good notes.

Easier to tow the lower profile allows the TV to break the air with a TT you have way more wind resistance.

Depending on model separate sleeping and dinning areas. This is where we lost space being 2 of us its not that big of a deal but I do miss the dinette sometimes.

The ability to haul bikes or kayaks on the roof of the folding hard side.

Most are slightly lighter. I have seen the A style that were the same if more weight then a small TT Even with the 145 max loaded we are still 500 pounds less then the max tow rating. A new TV is in our future.

So depending on your TV and your family size both have their advantages.
Debdon Journeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:18 AM   #7

Unless I'm missing something it doesn't look like Jayco has A frames anymore. Which is too bad because I think they fill a nice nitch.

Back when we wanted to move from a tent to a pop-up we looked at A frames at the camper show. Pretty neat, but when we asked ourselves if was livable for us the answer was no. If we are stuck inside due to weather it felt claustrophobic, keeping in mind that my wife is really short and I'm average height. Then there was the cost. At that time the two companies making them charged more than double what a big pop-up cost. So for us, way out of budget.

Of course there are designs are larger and better now, but they are still really expensive.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:16 AM   #8

Doc Brown, Cost OMG you can get a lot of TT for the cost of some of these A style campers great point
Debdon Journeys is offline   Reply With Quote