Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2016, 06:18 PM   #1

2006 Duramax Oil change W/40k miles

I'm 53 years old and I've never paid for an oil change. I'm old school and I like to do things myself. This is my first Diesel. I have a few concerns. From the searching on here it looks like I should go with:

*Rotella T6 (14qrts)
*Mobil 1 oil filter
Concerns:
Is it OK to switch to Rotella (a full synthetic). Not sure what was used in the last 40K.

Is there anything different other than the volume of oil?
SousaInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:00 PM   #2

Safe to switch
Old 07-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #3

While you're under there, change the spin-on trans filter. I use Napa filters - oil is 7202 and trans is 7701. Trans gets changed every other oil change. If this is your first maintenance and you're unsure what's been done previously, this would be a good time to drain & refill the trans. For this, you'll need 7 quarts of Allisson Transynd fluid. Buy 2 gal and keep 1 quart for future trans filter changes - I fill the new filter before spinning it on to account for the fluid lost in the old. Oh, there's a magnet on the stem that the trans filter mount to. Don't forget to wipe it clean and put it back before installing the new filter.

Oil capacity is 10 quarts but you did say "other than volume"
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray75 View Post
While you're under there, change the spin-on trans filter. I use Napa filters - oil is 7202 and trans is 7701. Trans gets changed every other oil change. If this is your first maintenance and you're unsure what's been done previously, this would be a good time to drain & refill the trans. For this, you'll need 7 quarts of Allisson Transynd fluid. Buy 2 gal and keep 1 quart for future trans filter changes - I fill the new filter before spinning it on to account for the fluid lost in the old. Oh, there's a magnet on the stem that the trans filter mount to. Don't forget to wipe it clean and put it back before installing the new filter.

Both the engine and trans in that Seneca on the 5500 chassis will have far more fluid volume than in a Silverado pickup. The Seneca carries 14 quarts of oil, and the trans holds about 12 quarts as I recall. I also used Rotella T6. I did some homework on the particular habits of the Duramax and its preferences for oil. Seems it likes nearly all premium diesel rated oils, and isn't very picky. I wanted that extra probability of protection, so I used a high quality oil. My trans fluid was changed just before I bought mine, and it is evident. So, I still have some time before that's needed.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SousaInn View Post
I'm 53 years old and I've never paid for an oil change. I'm old school and I like to do things myself. This is my first Diesel. I have a few concerns. From the searching on here it looks like I should go with:

*Rotella T6 (14qrts)
*Mobil 1 oil filter
Concerns:
Is it OK to switch to Rotella (a full synthetic). Not sure what was used in the last 40K.

Is there anything different other than the volume of oil?
I made exactly the same choices, and it's worked out fine.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
Both the engine and trans in that Seneca on the 5500 chassis will have far more fluid volume than in a Silverado pickup.
Duramax in a Seneca . . . I missed that. Carry on
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:11 PM   #7

Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray75 View Post

If you have the Allison transmission buy the Allison spin on filter. The Allison dealer showed me a cutaway of the Allison filter and the aftermarket filters night and day difference! Also repeating what the above post says, Check to make sure the round magnet is on top of the filter. There are quite a few hack mechanics that do not know this and the very first filter change throw the magnet away.

I have an 06 Duramax in my truck that had been serviced at a Chevrolet dealer. When I changed all my fluids last year sure enough the Chevrolet Goodwrench tech had thrown away the filter magnet.

I had to get the TransSyn fluid from an Allison dealer. The guy was real nice and sold me a magnet along with a new filter. He also showed me one of the reasons not to use the aftermarket filters was the magnet actually covers the holes in the top of the filter on the aftermarket filters. The Allison filter is made to work with the magnet. This magnet is there to catch any metal shavings that may make there way into the filter.

This Allison tech told me that was the number one problem with transmissions they serviced after a hack mechanic, the filter magnet was missing!
Doboy Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:47 AM   #8

The magnet looks just like a thick flat washer. Easy to miss if you don' know it is there.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:29 PM   #9

Thanks for all the help folks, but I'm still a little confused.
The Duramax calls for 15w-40.
So if I go the Rotella T6 route it will be 5w-40 ??...
am I missing something?
2007 Jayco Seneca 34SS, Duramax
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4WD Dbl-Cab = Toad
Old 07-12-2016, 08:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SousaInn View Post
Thanks for all the help folks, but I'm still a little confused.
The Duramax calls for 15w-40.
So if I go the Rotella T6 route it will be 5w-40 ??...
am I missing something?
It won't make a difference in the end. It still meets GM specifications, and is better than most. As long as your engine is broken in, synthetic is fine, lasts longer (more miles OR more months), and can extend your oil changes a bit. Difference isn't big, except the 5w-40 will flow better at low temps, if and when you may find yourself operating in those. At normal temps, it's all going to work the same whether it's 5w-40 or 15w-40. If it makes you more comfortable, check this thread:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f126/what...ax-100743.html
Old 07-12-2016, 08:48 AM   #11

The web is full of threads like the one I pasted above. I read a bunch of them before changing the oil in ours, and they all eventually lead to the same conclusion: that your Duramax isn't particular about what brand you use, as long as it's rated for diesels, and as long as it's a quality oil. Not some off-brand thing you found at Family Dollar on sale for two bucks. And that you'll likely get the same result with 5w-40 or 10w-40 as you would with 15w-40.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:11 PM   #12

Thanks DustDevil. This is the most money I have ever spent on anything (except my home), just want to make sure its all good. Looks like you are in similar climate as me. I appreciate the info .
2007 Jayco Seneca 34SS, Duramax
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4WD Dbl-Cab = Toad