Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #1

2007 Seneca w/Duramax Smog? in California

I have a smog question for the California based 2007 Seneca w/Duramax Diesel owners. I bought my Seneca in Oregon. I will be registering it in California. Does anyone know if I need a smog cert for this RV before I go and spend 4 hours at the local DMV. I'm getting mixed answers from different smog shops on the phone. I read at 14,000lbs and above you are exempt. Its not clear at all.
2007 Jayco Seneca 34SS, Duramax
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4WD Dbl-Cab = Toad
SousaInn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:58 PM   #2

Diesels in California do not have to meet any particular requirements. You will on occasion have to go and have a smog test, but it is for advisory purposes only. A fancy name for "we're thinking about implementing new regulations, so we're trying it out as a non-binding version first, so there aren't protests in the streets", LOL! I truly don't know whether they will force you to get a smog test first, or after two years.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:45 AM   #3

Thanks DustDevil, I called The Smog Check Program people which is administered by "Bureau of Automotive Repair " (BAR) . The lady on the
phone couldn't answer my question at first. After putting me on hold she came back and said it has to be smoged. I asked her about it being exempt because of the weight, it's over 14k. She said that only applies to automobiles, not a motorhome. (a 14k car) really?. I spoke to a mechanic at LaMesa RV up north, and several other smog shops and they say it might be exempt. I have an appointment with DMV on Tuesday and we will see what happens.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:50 PM   #4

Here in Maricopa and Pima counties AZ all motorhomes gas or diesel have to be emissions checked every year if registered in these counties.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:43 PM   #5

I bought my 2006 Seneca in March. At first, they said it had to be smog checked. Right at the point we were handling the paperwork, at the very last minute, they called it off saying it was exempt because it was a diesel above 14k GVWR. Literally, the previous owner was just driving it into the Smog Check station when we found out. Someone isn't reading the information correctly. There is no passenger car with a GVWR anywhere near 14k. Although, I wouldn't put it past the State of California to require that, LOL!
Old 08-02-2016, 06:54 PM   #6

!! NO smog required. Went to DMV today and took care of all the paper work for transfer of title from previous Oregon owner to California. Other than the 2 hours of waiting even with an appointment, it went pretty smooth. They did a VIN verification, got my plates and tags and was on my way.