Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to jloving
2011 Greyhawk 31FK - AC Question

I live in the Northeast and have had this RV for 2 summers. Only used in the summer so far but plan to retire and hit the road next summer. We have had a few occasions where the AC seems to fail but only for a few hours at a time. We would wake up early morning 4-6am and it would be getting hot. The AC would be not sending out cold air and the fan would not be working very well. In all cases, after a few hours it would just all of sudden start working as if nothing had been wrong. Very weird. I was thinking that maybe the condenser was freezing or something. I did read online that one guy reported issues because his unit was low on Freon. Any ideas?

When we do take our trip across country, I was wondering if I should consider upgrading the AC unit. When I get to Texas, Arizona, etc.. I don't want any issues when it's really hot. Has anyone done this?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 09-04-2012, 03:46 PM   #2

Sounds like your a/c is on delayed start... Check is your settings and display is where I would start
hayaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #3

If you were running the fan on low it may be freezing up which happens in high humidity conditions. We never use low fan always high fan. There is a sensor that detects ice and stops the compressor from running until the coil thaws out.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #4

Send a message via MSN to jloving
Grumpy, I tend to agree with your analysis. It's normally in the middle of the night when this happens and it starts to work when the sun comes up and heats things up again. My AC controls have AC or FAN. The fan control has HIGH, LOW, AUTO, and OFF. I think we normally leave it on AUTO so it kicks in when the condenser turns on. I don't know whether it comes on HIGH or LOW. I think HIGH. If I were to leave the FAN setting on HIGH, it would stay on all the time. Is that what you are saying you do?

Thanks,

Jim