Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2017, 09:17 PM   #1

2012 Seneca FS37 Towing Horse Trailer

I've done some looking and found some good general info, but nothing to quench my thirst 100%. So ill ask a very specific question and hope to get some perspective and opinions of those who own and tow with the Seneca's.

Thoughts on hauling a 26' bumper pull horse trailer that weighs 4100lbs (850+lbs TW), 4 horses that ave 1100lbs and say 500lbs of tack/supplies so 9-9500lbs total. We would be full of water in the RV as well loaded for a weekend Rodeo. A lso wondering is I should consider WD Hitch simply due to TW? Do any of you haul cars or dragsters with your Seneca? Im figuring the wt must be similar with race/drag cars and enclosed trailer.

We switched from our class a F53 in order to avoid taking 2 vehicles (F250 and Horse Trailer and RV empty). We seem to have grown from 2 horses to 3 and maybe more coming.... Just planning ahead.

I love the drive of these, even if a little under powered up hill. Thanks in advance...
Old 04-25-2017, 10:52 PM   #2

I have a 16 37FS and will pull a 20' 10k car hauler loaded with a Polaris Sportsman 800 ATV and a 97 LX450 with some heavy mods. The total weight is pretty darn close to your weight. I am certain I am over 9k but under 10k...I haven't done an actual scale test, but just doing simple math to add it up. I do not use a WDH, just a B&W adjustable drop ball connected directly to the trailer. The weight of the MH I feel offsets the trailer so much that it does not impact it too much. Plus with it having automatically adjusting rear airbags, the coach will level itself back out instead of sagging on the rear. I did my first run with this setup a few weeks ago...minus the ATV. I did not have electric trailer brakes working as I have yet to find the wiring harness I need in order to hook up my controller. (If you know where this is...please please let me know). However, I think it did fine without the brakes granted I was going from OKC to Albuquerque so not too many hills. If I were going over the rockys or anything like that, I would for sure make sure that controller is connected before I attempted it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3097.jpg  
Old 04-26-2017, 06:45 AM   #3

I would think Equalizer bars on the trailer would also help the situation. You are approaching the 10K recommended limit and the equalizer bars should assist with any overload.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:17 PM   #4

We have about 5,600 miles towing our 28' custom built 4X4 Hauler. It is rated @ 10,000 Lbs with two 7k axles and hydraulic surge brakes (it started out as a Boat Trailer in a future life) .

We haul a 2007 FJ Cruiser that is fully loaded with recovery equipment and on the front platform we haul a Yamaha 400 Four Wheeler and a 35 gallon spare water tank.

Our traveling weights: Fully loaded Coach (empty Black, empty Grey, Full Fresh, Full Fuel) for a week trip. The trailer has the FJ (but we did not take the Yamaha) with the water tank empty.
Front Axle 8,900# Rear Axle 15,880# Trailer (both axles) 7,700# Total GCW 32,480# which is under the max rating of 33k.

As Ryan stated... No sag from the tongue weight as the Air Bags compensate the ride height, and good Brakes are needed.

From our experience - I sometimes forget that the trailer is back there on the flat interstates.. We have LOTS of mountain passes we have to travel, many 8% grades and a few 10-12% too with no problems up or down. Yes, we have to drop out of overdrive and usually never drop below 50-mph on the climb, and always disable the OD and use the exhaust brake on the way down. A descent over 8% grade needs more care as the exhaust brake needs the wheel brakes more often to keep our downhill speed controlled. - overall no problem if you drive it like it weighs 33k#
Attached Thumbnails
20170322_110714.jpg   20170322_110758.jpg  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #5

But does a 2012 Seneca have the Airliner rear air bag suspension so it will self-level? When I first started looking at the Freightliner Senecas I thought the early versions (2012 and some 2013's) had traditional leaf springs.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
But does a 2012 Seneca have the Airliner rear air bag suspension so it will self-level? When I first started looking at the Freightliner Senecas I thought the early versions (2012 and some 2013's) had traditional leaf springs.
Good point...
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:45 PM   #7

I tow a race car trailer or a Jeep wrangler. The trailer is a 20' V-nosed ATC that weighs around 3000#. The race car is another 3000# and the gear is around 1000-1500# for a total of 7000-7500#. The Rv is not loaded all that heavy as it's usually just me.

Everything works well at those weights and another 2000# would be fine. If you are heavy in the RV and have a 10,000# trailer I think you will be pushing it. I would suggest looking at the 8.9L cummins with the 3000 transmission in a competing brand.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:38 PM   #8

yes, I am leaf spring. I was excited about the M2, although the 2012 price point was as far as I could go. My original plan was a 2008 Seneca on the Chevy chassis.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap View Post
I've done some looking and found some good general info, but nothing to quench my thirst 100%. So ill ask a very specific question and hope to get some perspective and opinions of those who own and tow with the Seneca's.

Thoughts on hauling a 26' bumper pull horse trailer that weighs 4100lbs (850+lbs TW), 4 horses that ave 1100lbs and say 500lbs of tack/supplies so 9-9500lbs total. We would be full of water in the RV as well loaded for a weekend Rodeo. A lso wondering is I should consider WD Hitch simply due to TW? Do any of you haul cars or dragsters with your Seneca? Im figuring the wt must be similar with race/drag cars and enclosed trailer.

We switched from our class a F53 in order to avoid taking 2 vehicles (F250 and Horse Trailer and RV empty). We seem to have grown from 2 horses to 3 and maybe more coming.... Just planning ahead.

I love the drive of these, even if a little under powered up hill. Thanks in advance...
We tow a 20' enclosed that's 3100# with a 4300# SUV inside. We tend to pack heavy, full provisions etc. -Not quite as much as you are planning to tow, but close. Going flat-out, I don't notice the trailer's behind us, which is more than I can say for my 6.2L Yukon Denali, My fully loaded Seneca bests it by at least 3+MPG AND I can tow as fast as I want, whereas with the Yukon, I'm normally limited to 60mph.

Going up hills is a different story. Plan on getting a good head of steam built up and prepare to watch your speed fall off, quick.

Going down hills, your exhaust brake will be worth your camper's weight in gold! -I absolutely love the confidence I have navigating the hills of Eastern Kentucky and Indiana.

Don't know about the WT Dist Hitch. My enclosed has a 2 5/16" ball and I've got a 10,000# rated ball and receiver. -Never given it another thought.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0417.jpg  
Old 04-27-2017, 07:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap View Post
yes, I am leaf spring. I was excited about the M2, although the 2012 price point was as far as I could go. My original plan was a 2008 Seneca on the Chevy chassis.
If this is the case, then WDH would be wise.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:41 PM   #11

UPDATE: I pulled the horse trailer and 3 horses over the pass near where I live to take my kids to a pee wee rodeo (0-6000' elevation). I have to say, very happy. The power was enough to be satisfied and the engine break was awesome. No rear sag, no issues pulling. I used about 2/3 fuel tank based on gauge for about 380miles. Full propane, water and weekend of food and clothing, plus 3 horses, water and hay in the trailer.
At the scales:
Ft axle: 7700 lbs
Rear axle: 16,700 lbs
Trailer axles: 6300 lbs
I suspect tongue weight of about 850 lbs

I feel better about dumping the class A gasser for sure now!!
Old 10-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #12

Hi
We are wanting to haul two horses in a 3 horse aluminum trailer. Like you, I am not concerned about speed or power, mostly concerned about horse safety.
Just wondering if you've done much haulung with your rig since this post. How is it working for you?
Do you have any idea of what your tongue wt is?
Did you put a weight distribution hitch on or beef up your hitch?
Thanks
Tammy Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:04 PM   #13

Talking

Hi Tammy - yes, we have put about 2500miles on it since we bought in in July 2016, most towing 3 horses in a steel trailer. We are upgrading to an Al 4 horse this year. No sag issues, and stopping is good, especially with engine break. We do have a brake controller as well. The Seneca is heavy enough I still don't really notice the horses much. It tows GREAT. I am very happy with our purchase. I do not have a WD hitch nor believe its needed. I bet the tongue weight must be in the 800-1000lb range. The only draw back is the lower ground clearance of the rear given the lengthy overhang when we get off the pavement. So far so good!
Old 10-12-2017, 08:09 PM   #14

That's fantastic! Thanks for the info.
Tammy Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:05 PM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave_Jan
I tow a 20 ft enclosed with Honda Pilot and HD Ultra. Use a trailer toad. Transfers tw to toad. RV just tows no weight on RV hitch.
97 Jeep Wrangler
Dave_Jan is offline   Reply With Quote