Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #1

2013 31DS Propane Smell

Hi all,

Happy Spring!
I have noticed a propane smell near my motor home this winter. More pronounced when it was freezing but still evident. The tank was left open as we ran the furnace every month for an hour.
The tank was filled when we winterized and is now empty..
I think we may have a leak....
Thoughts would be appreciated

Much thanks
Safe travels
Kentuckian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:03 PM   #2

Simply put, if you suspect your propane system might have a leak your system should be tested for leaks. This can be easily done with the use of a manometer, a sensitive pressure measuring instrument. A dealer or propane supplier could do this for you. As a side note, I recently thought I had a leak. A test with a manometer proved I did not. I discovered that after a recent propane tank fill-up, enough propane stink had adhered to the outside of one of my tanks that I could smell the odor. The solution was to wash the tank with a mild soap and water solution and immediately there was no more propane odor.

As you know, propane leaks are not to be ignored; the consequences can be tremendous.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:47 PM   #3

Thanks, getting it to RV dealer to check.
Safe travels
Old 03-20-2014, 01:29 PM   #4

Happened to me once, The valve was bad on my tank, the store I brought it too to check wasn't to happy I brought it there lol.
Daytripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:19 PM   #5

We had a similar issue. Turned out to be a bad valve on the propane tank. Dealer fixed it and we haven't had an issue so far.

Still waiting on replacement tires due to the recall. They are at least 3 weeks out.
donellen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #6

Thanks all. I think it's the valve.
Hope the tires get here soon DonEllen30
Old 03-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #7

Thought I had a small leak once. Turned out person who refilled my tank the last time failed to tighten the pressure release screw enough.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:53 PM   #8

Also, a cup of real soppy water and a paint brush, dabbing it on the fittings at the tank and looking for slow bubbles will also posiable save you a service call.
arkhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #9

recently replaced both tanks on my travel trailer for the same reason . bought new tanks at the local gas company full of gas cheaper than having my old tanks repaired.
snapper388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #10

Thought I had a propane leak on 2004 Greyhawk 31ss. I did. It is the fill connector(where the station connects their hose to refill tank). When I unscrew the cover it hisses letting off pressure. Going to try to replace it myself because the nearest Jayco shop is 25 miles away. Any better suggestions would be appreciated. I also own a TT that I keep in Fl and the tanks certification had expired. Took to a propane dealer and they re-certified it for free with a fill up.
Thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote