Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #1

2013 Jayco Melbourne 28F

Just ordered a new 2013 Melbourne from RV Direct, hope to have it early Fall.
I've been out of camping for a year... sold my Class A a year ago and got bit by the bug again. This will be my 2nd Jayco, had a Designer 5th Wheel in the past and loved it.

I'd appreciate any feedback from Melbourne owners on what I have to look forward to.
I'd specifically appreciate any comments about the driveability of this Class C vs. a Class A.
Also, when I take delivery, anything specific I should look for... any commonly known deficiencies?

Thanks,
Jeff / Knoxville, TN
knoxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:32 AM   #2

Welcome Neighbor. I'm just southwest of you in Mississippi, and also new to the forum. I also just traded my Tiffin Class A for the Jayco Greyhawk. Can't speak to the Melbourne, but if it is as nice as my Greyhawk, you will be very happy with it. Enjoy!
Paula
PUG.MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #3

Have a 2011 29D. Coach is right for the two of us. E450 preforms well.
Have made two long trips (4,000 miles +) with no issues.
Biggest issue I have is with the quality of the inside woodwork. Needs attention to detail.
Make sure you inspect everything on exceptance. Have the dealer run all systems to include the TV, etc.
Our TV was totally wired wrong!
Old 09-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #4

Knoxcamper: Congratulations on your new Melbourne. We bought a new 28F (2012) in July, and took a 4000-mile trip to the Midwest and back to California. We also took a 1000-mile trip to Disneyland and back to Sacramento. Vehicle and coach worked fine, getting 9.1 mpg while towing a small pickup truck. We cruise at 60 to 65 mph (55 mph in California), and would probably get a bit better fuel efficiency by slowing down. The E450 worked like a champ with plenty of power. We love the floor plan and the quality of workmanship of the Jayco, with the exception of the following: 1) The "tankless" water heater is marginal and takes experimenting to get used to; 2) The side cameras are worthless; 3) The navigation system is a waste of money as our Garmin is much superior. We added the following improvements: 1) Maxxair covers for the three vents; 2) 2nd coach battery; 3) Steel valve stems for the wheels (aluminum) and steel extensions for the inner rears wheels. This was the most important addition. One last tip: The electric stairs will get stuck out if the little magnet falls off the screen door. Since it is held on with a tiny bit of sticky tape, it WILL fall off. It took us 45 minutes to figure this out. When I got home, I remounted that magnet with screws and put an extra magnet in my toolbox. In a pinch, it can be held on with a medium sized paper clamp. Have fun with your new rig.
Jungkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #5

On our 2011 we also added a 2nd coach battery. I added Steer-Safe to the front. Sure helped with steering on long runs. Putting MaxAir Fan Mates on right now.
We also lost the little magnet on the screen door. Took me forever to fiqure that one out. Glued and put sealant on to hold (would think Jayco would come up with something a little better).
Agree that the side mirrow cameras are a waste of $$$$. Also did not get the in-dash GPS. Cost more to update than a seperate unit does.
We love our RV. Doing another 2000+ mile run this fall.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #6

Finally picking my Melbourne down at RV Direct's Orlando store Thursday next week. Thanks to all who gave me insight or advice in past.
knoxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #7

Congratulations and happy camping!

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Copeland View Post
On our 2011 we also added a 2nd coach battery. I added Steer-Safe to the front. Sure helped with steering on long runs. Putting MaxAir Fan Mates on right now.
We also lost the little magnet on the screen door. Took me forever to fiqure that one out. Glued and put sealant on to hold (would think Jayco would come up with something a little better).
Agree that the side mirrow cameras are a waste of $$$$. Also did not get the in-dash GPS. Cost more to update than a seperate unit does.
We love our RV. Doing another 2000+ mile run this fall.
Hey Tom, in regards to the 2nd battery you added, where did you install the battery on your coach? We're thinking of adding 1 too.

Thanks,
Kettrell