Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #1

2013 Seneca 37FS Suspension Question?

Wondering if anyone had any ideas or thoughts on "softening" the feel of the ride in my 2013 Seneca 37fs. I love everything about my coach, but its a really stiff ride in the back and its nearly unbearable at times for family riding in the back. I know the 37fs has the auto adjusting rear air bags.....but i didnt know if there was a way to manual adjust, and if I should even do that.

Someone else had mentioned installing a Blue Ox TigerTrax, but from what i understand that helps to limit rear sway and casting of the coach which should make it drive better...but I dont really have a problem with that... (though maybe every little bit helps)

For me its more an issue of the up and down at the back of the coach, porpoising i guess its called....but its REALLY stiff..like riding in the back of a pickup truck...if that makes any sense.

Thoughts?? Thanks for the help!
scpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #2

Miles on the unit? What tire pressure are you running? Possible rear shocks are bad?
How is the coach loaded? Do you travel with a full tank of water?
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:46 AM   #3

22k miles, 110 PSI .....there's not much loaded in the coach..i use it for business travel...so for the most part its me and a suitcase........yea i do often travel with full tank simply because i spend probably 80% of my time boondocking

Thanks
Old 10-09-2014, 06:07 AM   #4

I would weigh the coach and adjust the tire pressure according to the actual weight on each axle. We had the same issue with our 2008 and after I weighed it I was able to lower the front tires by 10psi and the rears by 5 and it really helped. Not sure what tires that Freightliner put on the chassis but most pressure charts are pretty close. Here is the one from Michelin. You can select the proper rim size at the top of the chart. If you are running basically empty and are using the recommended pressure you are probably over inflated.

Also they aren't cheap you may consider KONI shocks, they are known for their dampening ability. I did that as well.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/miche...ion-tables.jsp
Old 10-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scpenn View Post
22k miles, 110 PSI .....there's not much loaded in the coach..i use it for business travel...so for the most part its me and a suitcase........yea i do often travel with full tank simply because i spend probably 80% of my time boondocking

Thanks
Has the ride slowly gotten worse or did it happen instantly? Unless the suspension is binding or frozen (unlikely at 22k) you have shocks, air bags and tire pressure. With the rear ride height sensor keeping the height consistent, the more weight in the rear the more air pressure in the bags.
My Seneca rides noticeably stiffer with a car trailer hooked to it due to the extra pressure in the bags to keep the ride height the same. Your sensor could be out of calibration doing the same thing with no trailer.

Your rear shocks could be bad already. Just had a truck with 46k miles in my shop with a siezed shock. It would jar your teeth out.

You have too much air in the tires for your load. I would take Grumpy's advice. Tire pressure is the easiest thing to adjust for ride.

Don't we have a 5yr 100k mile warranty on our chassis excluding wear items like brakes, tires?
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #6

Thanks for all the great info! I'm gonna get it weighed and go from there. I just read where someone had to reduce their PSI by 20lbs per tire to get it recommended pressures for the "actual" weight of the coach and it improved the ride significanty