Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #1

2014 Redhawk 31XL - Standby/On switch for backup camera?

Title says it all. I want to be able to watch the backup camera while driving to watch the bike rack. The manual says its possible by flipping the cameras switch from <standby> to <on>. Only problem is, I cant find the switch. There are a couple buttons on the rear view mirror. But they don't seem to do anything. Any help would be appreciated.
BitTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #2

Is your backup camera integrated with your radio/nav system? Ours is on our 2011 greyhawk. that's how we turn the bc on.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:12 AM   #3

The monitor is build into the rear view mirror.
BitTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #4

That is probably the verbage for the TV monitor type camera. I would contact JAYCO to see if it can be done.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #5

They told me it can't be done, but I'm sure there's a way.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kave&Lucky View Post
Is your backup camera integrated with your radio/nav system? Ours is on our 2011 greyhawk. that's how we turn the bc on.
Mine is too, and the monitor has 3 different screen views you have to scroll through. It's in the middle screen on the Clarion system (don't know what brand you have). Find a local service tech for that brand and ask them to explain it. That's what was recommended to me by ASA Electronics (Voyager Camera System). The local rep was very helpful.

Edit: On the Clarion system you scroll to different views by dragging your finger horizontally across the screen - drag slow or it goes from screen 1 to 3. Also, there are 3 small (very small) screen icons in the center of the monitor, near the bottom. When you get to the middle view, the rear view camera is one of the menu items.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #7

Unfortunately, the Redhawk is different from the Greyhawk in that the monitor is integrated into the rear view mirror. It's not integrated into the radio.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #8

Have any of you Redhawk owners figured a way around this. Is there a way to re-wire the camera/monitor to work while driving and not just when you switch into reverse? I'm towing a Camry on a tow dolly and I'd like to see what it's doing. I just purchased a wireless license plate camera with 7" monitor. It should me here next week, but I would sure like to use the on board unit too.
Tpratt83687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:41 AM   #9

I would like to know an answer to this also..
dragracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 09:52 AM   #10

[QUOTE=Tpratt83687;168448]Have any of you Redhawk owners figured a way around this. Is there a way to re-wire the camera/monitor to work while driving and not just when you switch into reverse? QUOTE]

I'd like to know too! And, adjustment doesn't seem possible either, so if someone has a fix for that, let's have it, please!
1720v331RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #11

I asked about that issue when I was at the factory. They explained that it can't be done because of the type of camera. It's an "el cheapo" camera designed only for intermittent use... using constantly for long periods of time will burn it out.

Having said that, it CAN be rewired by taking the power from a source other than the power to the back-up lights. However, you then have to turn it on and off manually using the button on the mirror, each time you use it. Remembering not to leave it on too long at any one time... :-(

The solution was to add a wireless camera designed for extended use.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #12

Back-up Camera Rewire

Just figured it out on my 2014 Redhawk 26XS. The camera and monitor in the rearview mirror are powered by the back-up lights. The storage compartment under the corner bed has removable side walls. Removing the long wall will expose the camera wiring. One cable is video, and the other 12v power and is a yellow wire looped and tapped into the yellow bu light wiring in a bundle. I move the tap to the green wire in this bundle, so the camera is on whenever I turn on the running lights. May change this later, but it's a start. Also don't know if the ir lights are on for night vision. But it works.
kal3467 is offline   Reply With Quote