Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2016, 08:35 AM   #61
Originally Posted by ready2retire&drive View Post
I have run 2 trips with these no problems and it adds about 40 litres to a fill up
Where did you get the extensions?

jdshep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:41 AM   #62
I had them made am looking at distributing them once we have the process in place

ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:04 AM   #63
I would be a little concerned about filling the tank completely full. If you were on the road and knew that you were going to be burning fuel quickly it should be OK but, if for some reason you had to stop and the fuel was able to heat up, it might get messy. It might also be illegal but not sure how you would ever get caught.

US DOT Regulation 393.67 Subpart E.

12) Overfill restriction. A liquid fuel tank manufactured on or after January 1, 1973, must be designed and constructed so that—

(i) The tank cannot be filled, in a normal filling operation, with a quantity of fuel that exceeds 95 percent of the tank's liquid capacity; and
(ii) When the tank is filled, normal expansion of the fuel will not cause fuel spillage.

THERMAL EXPANSION Like all liquids, diesel fuel expands slightly in volume as its temperature increases. The coefficient of thermal expansion measures the rate of the expansion. A typical value of the coefficient of thermal expansion for diesel fuel is 0.00083 per degree Celsius (0.00046 per degree Fahrenheit). Using this value, 1.000 gallon of diesel fuel at - 7 C (2 0F) will expand to 1.037 gallons at 3 8C (100F). 50 gallons could expand to almost 52 gallons.
2014 Seneca 37FS
AaronM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 10:08 AM   #64
I found that when I filled my my tanks up without the extensions and parked on my pad at home (which has an angle to it) the low side tank leaked ( quite messy and smells) the stock cap vents and will leak when fuel gets warm and expands. Since I have put the extensions on no problems but I will test different fill levels and angles of parking and temeratures to get a good assesment of these. I realize for the fill and go guy's this will give them more range but will do more testing so the fill and park guy's can have confidence in these
ready2retire&drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:51 PM   #65
Put us down for a set when you have them ready for sell.

David, Deb & Lucy, the Yellow Lab
2016 Jayco Seneca 37HJ
Cdrip is offline   Reply With Quote