Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #1

2015 vs 2016 Greyhawk

Hey Gang,

Okay so I'm looking for some collective wisdom here. Briefly, I was going to buy a 2015 29MV, however when I got close to talking money it sold. In rolled a 2016 - with all the new bells and whistles. In my mind, the highlights were the 6 speed Torqshift on the 2016 E450 chassis and the fiberglass roof.

My test drive of the 2016 revealed a strong vibration around 60mph. Dealer sent the unit to Ford. Ford sent the driveshaft to a place that specializes in such things. Ford got the driveshaft back today - 2 of the three sections were NOT balanced at all. They are now though. So - you would think we're good to go right?

Nope - Ford put it all back together and the vibration is still there at the same mph. Now they are trying to see if its a angle issue or something else. Lots of people working on this unit now. On top of that, the other 2016 29MV on the dealer's lot exhibits the exact same problem at 60 mph.

I wonder what Jayco's chassis extender is doing?

SO - to make it murkier; the buyer for the 2015 bailed. The dealer has graciously allowed me to 'hold' both the 2015 and the 2016 pending whatever Ford finds.

Given all this - would you guys go w/ the 2015 and the TPO roof and 5 speed Torqshift? Also, the 2015 has Bigfoot Levelers, the 2016 has Equalizer. Or wait it out and see how the 2016 fares at Ford? Or would you even care at that point given all the work thats been done on the 2016 already?

FWIW, the DW likes the interior on the 2015 more. Price savings is around ~$1500. Added bonus, the 2015 has ~165 pounds more cargo capacity ringing in at 2089 pounds of OCCC.

Very confused - but I'm almost leaning towards the 2015 now. For all I know the 6 speed transmission in the 2016 changed the undercarriage geometry somehow. Who knows? Not sure about the roof though.

Help ?!

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:23 PM   #2

Here is my 2 cents i dont know much about the trans but 6 speeds would be better for acceleration and fuel economy. But iid this trans new to ford or just motorhomes. If this is a new ford transmission i would give it a few years for them to perfect it.

As for the roof fiberglass is a huge plus if done right. I have lurked over on the forest river forums and they have many issues with new fiberglass roofs cracking and splitting. Whch is a bigger deal then just caulking or parching a rubber roof.

Extra CCC is always good since class c motor homes are useally to the limit anyway.

I have the big foot levelers and they are great i have not read anything bad about them so i dont know why jayco changed them.

The interior im sure that your wife dosent care about the other stuff as rhe old saying goes happy wife happy life.

The 2016 also has the increased towing capicity but i personally wouldnt pull 7500lbs anyway.

But i wouldnt rush into to it see they can fix the new one or give you one hell of a deal on the 2015.

You are actually in a good position right now because they want to sell you one and you have the leverage to walk at any moment.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 04:34 PM   #3

You know Jo, the big question is... R U willing to spend all that money on first Generation modifications ? (6 Speed transmission/Fiberglass roof/increased tow (which could be part of the problem.))

As I mentioned in a previous post, the possibility that the frame mod to increase the towing capacity has something to do with the drive shift issue with balance.

Yes, the 6 speed would be great. Yes, the fiberglass roof is great... the majority of bugs (other then the normal fix) have been remedied up to the 2015 models.

And the main point is.... Your DW likes the 2015 more then the 2016 models (mine was the same way!) It's a tough decision but once again.... spend $$$ only to say later... I should've gotten the 2015 !

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth !

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:16 PM   #4

The 2016's also have a bigger window on the entrance door, different backsplash, the furniture design has been changed, King Control Jack tv antenna which requires no cranking, MCD roller shades and the TV has been upgraded to a Furrion. Also, the hitch has been upgraded to 7500lbs. That is a huge number of changes and upgrades, to me, well worth several thousand dollars when the fiberglass roof is factored in.

I disagree with Greyhawk01 that he would pull 7500lbs with a 2015. The 2015 has a 5000lb hitch, you CANNOT tow more that what the hitch or the vehicle is rated for. Therefore, unless you are willing to upgrade the hitch, the tow capacity on a 2015 maxes out at 5000lbs.
Bird Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:22 PM   #5

What i meant is i wouldnt be pulling 7500 reguardless just seems like too much for a class c

Fixed my original reply im typing on my phone so i make a liot of errors
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:43 PM   #6

I'm not concerned about the hitch weight one way or the other. I don't want to tow anything; that's what Enterprise is for.
Old 07-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #7

I like the idea of the six speed transmission and the Fiberglas roof, but I am always a bit leery of Version 1.0 of anything. And with your wife preferring the 2015 as well as it being less money, I'd be leaning in that direction. YMMV

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 05:57 AM   #8

Well this was a short lived wrap. The frame on both 2016s is crooked, per Ford. The drive shaft doesn't line up straight over the rear differential.

Pretty poor job on the chassis extender's part, and I'm going to have nothing to do w/ frame issues.

Time to look hard at that 2015.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:38 AM   #9

I'm going w/ this one - should be picking her up on 7/25. Very excited, and very much relieved.

#GH10113 - 2015 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV Rear Queen Double Slideout for sale in Williamstown NJ
Old 07-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #10

Congrats!
Make sure to ask the dealer to adjust the rear bedroom TV. If you're laying down, you'll only see the shadow. They need to mount it at a downward angle in order for you to see. (if they don't do it, all you need are washers and longer screws).

Also, don't forget to ask where the "reset" button is on the Tank-less Water heater!

S/
Rick

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHawk51 View Post
Congrats!
Make sure to ask the dealer to adjust the rear bedroom TV. If you're laying down, you'll only see the shadow. They need to mount it at a downward angle in order for you to see. (if they don't do it, all you need are washers and longer screws).

Also, don't forget to ask where the "reset" button is on the Tank-less Water heater!

S/
Rick
Ohhh. Thanks for that !
Old 07-16-2015, 08:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHawk51 View Post
Congrats!

S/
Rick

How exactly did you angle the rear TV? I am having the same shadow issue in my 2013 GH 31FS.
Fishstick8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishstick8 View Post
How exactly did you angle the rear TV? I am having the same shadow issue in my 2013 GH 31FS.
As you know Fish, you can take off the TV and mount them outside. But it's a real hassle. In response to your question.... The screws currently holding the TV in the BR are 1 inch screws. I went to Home Depot and bought some 2 inch (same type) and 3 bags of washers and put 30 on the top 2 screws each and 15 on the bottom. For me, this was enough to lay in the bed and see it perfectly. I used tape to hold the screws in place just to keep them together while sliding them onto the screws.

That's it !

Hope this simple fix helps !

Old 07-17-2015, 02:34 AM   #14

GrayHawk51, Thanks for this post. I have the same problem in my Precept. I think I can do this!!
2015 Equinox, Blue Ox Avanta LX
Bobs A Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:46 AM   #15

Not to derail your thread Jopopsy, but was wondering. Didn't you buy a new Minnie Winnie last year? Why the switch back to Jayco?

2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedown St. View Post
Not to derail your thread Jopopsy, but was wondering. Didn't you buy a new Minnie Winnie last year? Why the switch back to Jayco?
You're right I did. Worst thing I've done in some time. The quality of the coach was very rental grade, it handled awful when loaded, and the long Schwintek side was noisy and temperamental. Every time we camped we complained about its short comings.

Now we're doing it right.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:01 PM   #17

Congratulations on the new coach.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
You're right I did. Worst thing I've done in some time. The quality of the coach was very rental grade, it handled awful when loaded, and the long Schwintek side was noisy and temperamental. Every time we camped we complained about its short comings.

Now we're doing it right.
Ok, was just curious. I just looked at some MW's at a local show and liked what I saw for the most part. Didn't "crawl" around but looked inside and out.

Been happy with our Greyhawk after a solid year and a half of use! Cheers to you for being unhappy, and able to just go get something different lol!!
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 11:58 AM   #19

we are happy with our 15 29mv Greyhawk.....
only one little trip....but have some comments....
we like the dark interior which is the one your wife likes it appears...
But found the couch was hard to lift up with those arm rests mashed into the sides of couch...has anyone else noticed this ?..we removed the armrests...problem solved..they just unbolt.
The 15 has the b'bque grill feature..we loved ours..easy to use an6d 90 degree + days camping cooked on it always...the 16 MV folks say it is deleted....
We don't like the frosted privacy glass on side entry door...may get clear glass installed....with shade or something attached...so little window view already on that side.
You will like the 15 Greyhawk I hope....still making modifications here and there to suit our particular needs...like the two 6v. Golf cart house batteries..and LED lights in places where old style bulbs still used...see my previous posts if you like...
StevWb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevWb View Post
We don't like the frosted privacy glass on side entry door...may get clear glass installed....with shade or something attached...so little window view already on that side.
You will like the 15 Greyhawk I hope....still making modifications here and there to suit our particular needs...like the two 6v. Golf cart house batteries..and LED lights in places where old style bulbs still used...see my previous posts if you like...
Interesting about the frosted glass. The 2016 didn't have anything but tint; and we wished it was frosted !!! I was actually going to buy some of that laminate you can get at Lowes and apply it myself.

And as to the LEDs, the Winnie I'm trading in had none but I pulled all the 921s and put in my own. Now I'm going to pull those bulbs and swap them into the Greyhawk before I leave the dealer's lot.