Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2016, 08:35 PM   #1

2016 Greyhawk Tank Heater Switch

Hey all, another possibly dumb question on our new 29MV. Ours is equipped with the inline hot water heater, which has an on/off switch outside. In the bathroom, there is another switch that says "tank heater". Again this was not really explained during our demo. Does this have something to do with the inline water heater, or does this actually heat one of the water tanks?

Thanks in advance!

Dave
dpchristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:18 PM   #2

Hi Dave,

The tank heater switch turns on pad heaters on your holding tanks to keep them from freezing in cold weather. My 2016 Greyhawk 31FS has a switch outside in the shower compartment but it turns on the water pump not any water heater. The Girard water heater control panel (or knob) in the bathroom is the only way to turn on your water heater.

- James
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:11 AM   #3

Roggo on the tank heater switch in the bathroom. However, my '16 does not have a control knob in the bathroom. The 3rd gen Girard only has the on/off button on the heater panel outside and the digital panel near the AC/Heater control.
Colorado Springs, CO
JDSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:44 AM   #4

I always wondered what good the tank heaters do if its freezing outside. The lines going from the tanks are not heated or protected. Nor is the fresh water lines coming in from a city connection. So, what's the point? What am I missing?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I always wondered what good the tank heaters do if its freezing outside. The lines going from the tanks are not heated or protected. Nor is the fresh water lines coming in from a city connection. So, what's the point? What am I missing?
You are not missing anything. It puzzles all of us with the tank heaters.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgerhard View Post
Hi Dave,

The tank heater switch turns on pad heaters on your holding tanks to keep them from freezing in cold weather. My 2016 Greyhawk 31FS has a switch outside in the shower compartment but it turns on the water pump not any water heater. The Girard water heater control panel (or knob) in the bathroom is the only way to turn on your water heater.

- James
We have simply bought the wrap heat tape and had great luck up in Yellowstone at night with that solution
ChrisMic is offline   Reply With Quote