Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2017, 08:33 PM   #1

2016 Melbourne 24K Shaky Door

Well - it's good to see more & more Melbourne owners posting up. It would be nice however if the majority of the posts weren't issue related... Oh well, I assume there will always be some hiccups with any new models. I am going to have the local Camping World (eventually) see what they can do on most of my small issues (glad they are small so far). I purchased from a "warranty forever" "non-local" dealer but you know how that could go..

Anyway, now to my issue. Has anyone had the same shaking with the entry door at 55+ speeds? It doesn't happen all the time, just when the wind is blowing on that side or something like that. A few times it got so bad last trip, the wife made me bungee the handle for extra piece of mind.

More issues with attachments so here are a few.
Hopefully one will work

MP4 1280x720
Shaky_Door.mp4
MP4 854x480
Shaky-854.mp4
WMV 854x480
Shaky-WMV.wmv

That didn't work - maybe a Hyperlink will...
http://www.kerryspix.com/family/vids/ShakyDoor.mp4

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #2

Our door rattled in the wind from a certain angle. We added weather stripping to the top of the door, and it's been reduced by 75%. The wind is the enemy of any rv, in my opinion - it causes all kinds of problems, and it can't be turned off. I don't think wind issues are exclusive to the Melbourne. At the recommendation of one of the forum members, we've just purchased a Hellwig Sway Bar, which we hope will help significantly with control in higher winds (we know there's no miracle beyond 35 mph).

With a two-year warranty, there's plenty of time to iron out all the bugs. We've had a few minor issues; and so far, we've been able to take care of all of them. We've owned ours for a year now, and we're at 13,000 miles. By the way...love the paint job. They started painting them right after we purchased ours, but we got a good deal so can't complain.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:07 PM   #3

Shaky doors is a problem in general with a lot of rigs. I had the same thing with my 96 eagle. I believe it's possible to adjust the strike plates so the door latch so the door gets pulled further in, maybe someone who's done it can chime in
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 12:49 PM   #4

Mine may rattle and I just don't notice with all the other rattles and creaks. I may be exaggerating some but not too much.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KST-184BH View Post
Well - it's good to see more & more Melbourne owners posting up. It would be nice however if the majority of the posts weren't issue related... Oh well, I assume there will always be some hiccups with any new models. I am going to have the local Camping World (eventually) see what they can do on most of my small issues (glad they are small so far). I purchased from a "warranty forever" "non-local" dealer but you know how that could go..

Anyway, now to my issue. Has anyone had the same shaking with the entry door at 55+ speeds? It doesn't happen all the time, just when the wind is blowing on that side or something like that. A few times it got so bad last trip, the wife made me bungee the handle for extra piece of mind.

More issues with attachments so here are a few.

Hopefully one will work

MP4 1280x720

Attachment 32354

MP4 854x480

Attachment 32355

WMV 854x480

Attachment 32356

That didn't work - maybe a Hyperlink will...

http://www.kerryspix.com/family/vids/ShakyDoor.mp4

Based on my experience as a carpenter installing doors, I'd bet the latch strike needs to be adjusted. It's not holding your door closed tight to the jamb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko View Post
Our door rattled in the wind from a certain angle. We added weather stripping to the top of the door, and it's been reduced by 75%. The wind is the enemy of any rv, in my opinion - it causes all kinds of problems, and it can't be turned off. I don't think wind issues are exclusive to the Melbourne. At the recommendation of one of the forum members, we've just purchased a Hellwig Sway Bar, which we hope will help significantly with control in higher winds (we know there's no miracle beyond 35 mph).

With a two-year warranty, there's plenty of time to iron out all the bugs. We've had a few minor issues; and so far, we've been able to take care of all of them. We've owned ours for a year now, and we're at 13,000 miles. By the way...love the paint job. They started painting them right after we purchased ours, but we got a good deal so can't complain.
Looks like you are showing a 2017 on your signature so not sure on the paint comment. Of course at 13K miles something tells me that could be wrong. As for the paint job, I may want to trade you. Starting to get a taste of this TX heat and the dark colors are soaking up the sun

I added the Hellwig 7254 rear sway bar you are talking about and it did seem to help with wind, trucks, etc. However I installed it after only 300-400 miles of ownership so I can't really say for sure how much of a difference it makes. Here are some notes from my install:
The sway bar is definitely more heavy duty than the stock version. The U-plate however has a different design and gave me a slight concern. The head of the bolt seems to barely overlap the opening slot but there is no mention of adding washers. However after 3K miles no busted bolt or plate at the recommended torque so only time will tell.
I have read people mentioning adding additional washers on the end links. I installed only what was provided in the kit and sure enough there was a popping sound during certain turns, driveways, etc. I added an 1/8" thick washer on each side and haven't heard any popping noise sense.
Click image for larger version

Name:	sway-bar.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	32379

2016 Melbourne 24K

PHOTO ALBUMS:
Old 06-14-2017, 08:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Mine may rattle and I just don't notice with all the other rattles and creaks. I may be exaggerating some but not too much.
That is funny right there. Yeah, one of my dinette windows was squeaking as well. Had to put some clear type on the outside for a temporary fix, of course that was 3 months ago. Now getting the tape glue off will be another challenge.

I will play with the latch and add some stripping next time I get to bring her home for the week-end. The door already seems so tight and pushed in with no play (when parked). Hopefully I will have a positive update in the future.
Thanks

2016 Melbourne 24K

PHOTO ALBUMS:
Old 11-06-2022, 02:14 PM   #8

Angry 2017 Melbourne - Door shakes terribly at the top / Will open if not deadbolted

The doors on the Sprinter Melbourne models are terrible. They are so flexible that they really need a 3 latch system on them to hold the door from the top, center, and bottom. Our door shakes so much at the top that you can see daylight coming through it. It shakes so much that if we forget to dead bolt the door, it will actually swing open when we are driving which is so dangerous and scary!!

I'm honestly shocked that Jayco has not recalled these doors. I'm so annoyed with it and have tried everything including a bolt latch. I'm still searching for a solution because our last trip was so bad it made the drive extremely nerve racking.

I recently saw the new Winnebago View and it has an "airplane" style door that has a 3 hinge system that closes extremely secure and has great insulation to keep it from sounding like the door is wide open at high speeds.

Has anyone found a locking system that I could add to the door to secure it at the top and bottom?

Thanks
bparkhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:53 AM   #9

I'd like to know the answer to your question about the latch system. Our Melbourne is now 6 1/2 years old, we have 66,000 miles on it, and we still love it. The only time our door rattles is in extreme wind and from a certain direction. We have had no problems whatsoever with our unit since we purchased it and ironed out some minor issues. By far, we feel the Jayco Melbourne is the best little Class C out there. We stopped going to RV shows years ago, because we know this is it for life. Ours is in such good shape, you'd never know it from a brand new one. We put lots of perks on ours such as slide toppers (which at the time of purchase weren't offered standard), hydraulic levelers (best purchase we ever made although pricey). For some reason, ours came with a solar panel, which has been great although it's tiny. Our next upgrade - we haven't made any in years now - will be a ceramic toilet. We've been all over the country several times in our unit, still pull our old 2003 Jeep, and love everything about this camper. And yes, maybe the View has a cool latch door, but check the comparison of price, tiny refrigerator, poor storage, and I think you'll agree that the Melbourne is the best bang for your buck.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 12:26 PM   #10
TLF

I've had to keep an eye on the hinge screws in our 2017 Melbourne. They tend to loosen up and tightening them down once a year keeps the door sealed up properly.
Latch alignment is something I should probably adjust but the door has only popped open once while driving and it was a combination of human errors. I now always use the dead bolt when driving, and recommend the same even if latch alignment is perfect.

Does anybody's door close easily, latching perfectly with no gaps? Mine takes a bit of a push (or pull if inside) to close completely, with a distinct click of the latch. If I adjust it so it closes easily, there is a bit of a gap for wind to make it's way in. I blame the fact it isn't aerospace engineering, it's an RV made to hit a certain price point.
TLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 11:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Ditto
Main purpose of Jayco is for camping at racetracks.
I am a volunteer corner worker for Sports Car Club of America.
SmokeyBear is offline   Reply With Quote