Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2015, 07:37 AM   #21
Lost in the Woods

Thanks for the info. I plan to schedule a test ride in a few weeks, if they are still available at the dealership.

Compared to a new class A gas Tiffin or Newmar, I don't think the interior is as good as a Newmar, but since I'm apt to go for long trips with numerous short stays and a few longer stays, rather than short vacations for three days or a couple of weeks, the ride is a factor at age 65 and the interior quality is good enough something like half way between entry level and full time.

Also, I think it may be a better option than a Tiffin Breeze, with better power than the Breeze and good enough ride comparably, but I'm still guessing, until I take more drives.

Whether it is a better option than something like a used 34 with comfort drive Newmar Ventana at around $100k is harder to say, but I do like the upfront engine and at idle in the lot the noise factor was not really an issue, but obviously noiser than a dp.

Good thing I'm not in a hurry and have expanded by diy skills getting my registered service tech designation and doing extended warranty inspections for part-time work during my retirement.

Also looks big enough to take my Boxer when she gets bigger.

Seems like the Seneca has matured quite a bit as a platform compared to the last couple of years of mfg.
RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:02 PM   #22

RodgerS, you will be less fatigued driving a Super C than a class A. I'm 75 and 400+ mile days are no problem in the Seneca. I felt more tired in the Tiffin. We usually take 4 week trips, not all of that time driving as we want to experience the places we go to. Longest 4 week trip was around 3,000 miles.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:10 PM   #23
Lost in the Woods

Walt, what kind of class A are you comparing? Gas or diesel Tiffin?
Good to hear that the ride is working for you as about 400 miles a day is max for me as well and my usage would probably be similar to your.

Secondly, someone told me this is a niche MH, so I'm wondering how owner's see themselves as why they chose this MH over something else? I mean, I wonder what Jayco feels what part of the market they are aiming at?

I feel a bit like a pest, but I'm trying to work this through mentally and the 2016 Seneca visit got me rethinking this.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:13 PM   #24

I did 1700 miles in 3 days on the out bound side and 1700 miles in 4 days on the way back. I had rotator cuff surgery 2/11 and 4/1 and the l/r shoulder and I was hurting after the 3 days up. Part of it was the high winds in New Brunswick CA but it thought it was a good bit of effort to drive. Maybe with more miles I will learn to relax a bit more as I am sure that was the issue in the shoulders.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:24 PM   #25

We visited MotorHomes2Go on Grand Rapids, Michigan in August of this year. Spent an afternoon analyzing the Senecas and Dynamaxs. Evan Shephard, the salesman, showed us around and then let us alone. He was available for any questions, but no pushing. Next day we did a great test drive. Truck stop, parking lot, two lane roads and interstate driving. Fantastic!!

Working through the purchase, now! They are working with us, to our schedule. So cool! This really a great experience. I keep waiting for the bubble to pop.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:33 PM   #26

In August, of this year, we visited MotorHomes2Go in Grand Rapids, Michigan. They had 4 models of Senecas and some Dynmaxs. Evan Shephard, the sales rep, showed us around, answered questions and said he was available if we had questions. Spent 3 hours looking around, without being interrupted. Next morning, we drove a Seneca from a truck stop, to a back road, to an Interstate. Handled nice. Couldn't ask for a better check out.

They are now working with us through the purchase at our schedule. I keep waiting to get pinched. So far, fantastic!!!
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 05:04 PM   #27

RodgerS, my Tiffin was a diesel pusher. IMO here are the differences

Drivability: in the A's, gas or pusher, you are sitting off center from the steering wheel a bit making it more difficult to position in a lane. In the A you're always checking the mirrors to make sure you're not too far to the right.

Side push: way less in the Seneca. Why I don't know as the Seneca is overall a bit taller. Gasser A is way worse. Tag axel pushers are pretty stable.

Noise: a bit more in the Seneca but not bad IMO. Exception is when the cooling fan kicks into high speed. Don't hear that in the A pusher.

Cab heating and cooling. Terrible in the A's. Was very comfortable in the Seneca at 100 ambient temp.

Lean: Even with new Bilsteins in my DP I had to take curves about 5 mph lower than the posted speed for curve. Don't get that top heavy feeling and sway in the Seneca when driven within reason.

Re niche: IMO the Seneca is more for the off grid user in how they manage power, components chosen vs staying at an RV resort. It may also be price point. Seneca also feels like its an upgrade for a gas class C vs as a class A competitor. I think most former class A owners will be disappointed with the Seneca - basement storage, living space, appointments, components, etc.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:41 PM   #28

A big part of the reason I bought the Seneca is the towing capacity. I tow a 7500# trailer and the Seneca does a good job here. Other than the length and the rear swing it is not much different than flat towing the Jeep.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:00 PM   #29
Lost in the Woods

Thanks Walt and Mike. Very helpful information. Very detailed Walt, in particular the niche comment is thought provoking.

I'm beginning to take the idea of buying a new Seneca very seriously now for my particular needs.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:20 AM   #30

I have 13,000 miles on our Seneca approx 4000 miles towing a trailer or flat towing the jeep. We love it, very stable and comfortable driving. Heading out in a week on a 3800 mile trip towing the jeep, looking forward to it.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 10:58 AM   #31
Lost in the Woods

What do you think of the slides they use on the Seneca?
Do you know who makes them?
I have read reports of floor gouging, but not about the fix for that or the why of it.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:05 PM   #32

If you are still experiencing inverter issues I would suggest calling Jayco motorized customer service. The inverter on our 2017 Seneca RB malfunctioned. After several tries at solving the problem with various reset procedures with no success, Jayco customer service had a new inverter shipped to my home. Had to have Camping World install the inverter which was easy to do since it was a warranty issue. With the right t tools (special 12 point driver) and ability to awkwardly lift the inverter into position you to do the install yourself if it's not in warranty. The inverter replacement solved the problem.
rismith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:54 PM   #33

inverter

An easy check is to remove the interior display and run a phone extension cord from the inverter to the display at the storage area where the inverter is mounted. You can do this with any of those ubiquitous 6 footers that used to come with everything. This will narrow it to an inverter or display issue. The plug end needs to be switched per the attached diagram supplied by the manufacturer, so a tool like this is needed: https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Crim...j11+tool&psc=1
I have a fully functioning display with voltage, percentage, draw, the works with a patch cord and only on/off capability and display when using the coach wiring.
Attached Images

2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote