Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2017, 03:17 PM   #1

2016 Seneca Roof cleaning

I am in search of wisdom. I purchased a 2016 Seneca last year and I absolutely love it. I am wondering however, what should I use to treat/maintain/clean the roof..? Does anyone know what kind of roof is on the 2016 seneca? I see different types of cleaning solutions at camping world and on amazon but not sure which to use..

Thanks...
dnomyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:36 PM   #2

Should be fiberglass, just scrub it, doesn't need any treatment.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:46 PM   #3

Why do you want to treat/maintain/clean the roof? The only requirement is to inspect your roof 3-4 times a year (assuming rubber roof. Motorhome might have a different style of roofing). That inspection is mainly to ensure that the caulked seams at the sidewalls are still intact and that there aren't any holes in the roof. There is no need to "treat" the roof with anything.

Cleaning your roof is a personal preference. I don't look at my roof (except when I inspect it), so I could really not care less if its clean or dirty. Rain will clean off the majority of the dirt. Unless you clean your roof and camper every single week, you are going to get black streaks regardless.

I've been camping in trailers since I was about 5. Never once cleaned or treated the roof on any camper we've ever had. No negative effects. In fact, up until about 10 years ago, there weren't really any "treatment" products available for rubber roofing. Enough people started to search out a product to apply... so companies started to make a product to sell. I haven't seen any evidence that a treated roof lasts longer or inhibits water better than a non-treated roof. I truly believe that all these products are simply an opportunity for chemical companies to make money, rather than an opportunity to improve the quality or lifespan of your roof.

Once you find the type of roof you have, contact the manufacturer and ask what they recommend. I had an EPDM on my old trailer, there was no recommendation to do anything except for occasionally clean with a mild cleanser. My current trailer is Alpha-Ply TPO. Same thing... occasionally clean with mild cleanser. No UV treatment, no sealer, nothing else recommended by the manufacturer...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Should be fiberglass, just scrub it, doesn't need any treatment.
Follow Grumpy's advice. Late model Senecas have fiberglass roofs, NOT rubber.
I'd wash it like a car with dish washing soap. However, for your safety, I wouldn't wax it. If you do, please have video recording, this could be a great one on youtube.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:17 PM   #5

I bought a used scissor man lift for only $2,000 and it is worth it's weight in gold for cleaning our 36FK. Concerning the roof I simply lift level with the roof and pressure wash it off. I myself I simply step off onto the roof and pressure wash it off. Nothing else is needed except maybe look at the seals to make sure no cracks etc. We keep our unit in a three sided car port which really helps when not in use. J Byrd
byrdbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrdbody View Post
I bought a used scissor man lift for only $2,000 and it is worth it's weight in gold for cleaning our 36FK. Concerning the roof I simply lift level with the roof and pressure wash it off. I myself I simply step off onto the roof and pressure wash it off. Nothing else is needed except maybe look at the seals to make sure no cracks etc. We keep our unit in a three sided car port which really helps when not in use. J Byrd
Oh... to have one of those...
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote