Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2017, 10:32 AM   #1

2017 Greyhawk 29ME

Okay, so I'm going to go to my local dealer and see if I can work a deal on a 2017 Greyhawk 29ME. I'll be moving up from a truck/trailer combo so not new to the RV life.

I was torn between the 29ME and the 29MV. While they both have their good and bad points, the opposing slides and big storage area in the back of the 29ME will suit my needs better although the kitchen counter space in the 29MV is nice. The model I'm looking at has the front entertainment center which I prefer. It also has the day and night MCD-like shades which I really want.

I've read just about everything there is on the tankless water heater so I know the issues going in. I will see if I can get it replaced with a traditional 6gal WH in the deal but won't hold my breath. I don't do a lot of dry camping so not worried about how much water it takes to get the hot water flowing.

I've also read about handling issues but I've test-driven other Class C's and 2 Class A's and they have the same issues so no surprises there either.

I've also read about problems with the Schwintek slides and I think I have that figured out.

Is there anything else I should look for? Any others out there with the 29ME? It will just be me with my small older dog and a young cat.

I really like all the extras the Greyhawk line has like the auto-levelers, the window shades, the additional suspension parts, fiberglass roof, and overall quality of the unit I looked at. I know all new RV's have issues that come up at first so am prepared for that. I've dealt with this dealer for years with the various RV's I've had and they have always treated me right. They have never pushed me to the end of the service line just because I didn't buy whatever RV I've had at the time from them.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

Laura
GoCougs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:25 PM   #2

We have the exact model you are getting. Very few problems-all of which I took care of without going to dealer. Tankless hot water tank needs adequate water pressure and adequate propane flow. I purchased adjustable water pressure valve and try to keep it at least 50lbs or pressure and no more than 60. I have not had issue with propane-but I read where the supply hose can get kinked. We love our 29ME--have not boondocked yet but have used at several different RV sites with little or no issues.
harleydawg57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #3

Welcome to the Club!

GoCougs - Welcome to the ME Club.

We are in a 2015 and love our rig. If I have one significant complaint it is the ability to maintain the temperature in cold/hot weather camping. If a second AC unit is an option for you I strongly recommend it. I would also have them add slide toppers.

We have had no problems with the propane. Slideouts were a challenge at first, but the dealer was able to shim them into proper alignment and we have now been two years problem free.

Good luck with the purchase!

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:28 PM   #4

Thank you for the replies. I drove the 29ME and was pleased with how it handles. It is empty of course so might be different when loaded although I'm not a heavy packer. There was a little play in the steering wheel but nothing like the Class A I drove where I was completely worn out after 15 minutes of driving! I drove this one on a combination of city streets, 2-lane roads and freeway. It handled great and I did not come away with any serious red flags. I didn't even get blown around by the giant 5er that passed me at about 70mph which was refreshing.

I have a tentative date of 7/11 to pick it up so still have time to empty most everything out of my trailer. I've done the "transfer" before and it always takes longer than I think it will so am going to plan ahead and only have the tubs for sewer, electrical, and water gear as well as the hitch stuff in the trailer when I take it in.

We have a tentative deal but my credit union is closed today so probably won't hear until next week. I am trading both the truck and trailer in on the Jayco but luckily, this dealer also has a Ford dealership so they didn't even blink when I said what I wanted to do.

I have a 2013 Chevy Sonic (because my truck didn't fit in my parking spot at work) that I plan to tow. I found a used Blue Ox base plate for it on another forum for $100 a few months ago and an RV repair shop in Southern Oregon that will install it for $170! I plan to get the Ready Brute Elite tow bar since it has the braking system integrated in their design and have heard great things about it. At about $1000, it is like buy one, get one free for the price of a tow bar and supplemental braking system.

I'm very excited about not having to drag a trailer around anymore as well as not having all the set up and tear down work involved. I'm all about pushing buttons

Thank you again for the replies!

Laura
GoCougs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #5

Sonic

You will love the Sonic as a toad. I pull a 2015 Sonic behind my ME and it works great. The only concern I had was that it is so small that the mirrors do not give you any view of it. I overcame that by playing with the camera settings. I run the rear view camera full time but turned off its audio so the radio still works.

I did learn the hard way that pulling the DLIS fuse is not really an option if you don't want the miles to add up on your Sonic's odometer. The fuse is kinda of a PIA to pull in and out so I took the advice of some of the other members and put in a Fuse By-Pass Switch, works like a charm.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #6

GoCougs,

FYI, I have the ready brute elite tow bar. Used it a few times and I really like it alot. Its a beefy tow bar , easy to hitch up and the brake system works very well. I also looked at 29ME vs 29MV , ended up with 29MV. Really don't think you can go wrong with either one. Good Luck!!!!
Old 07-01-2017, 08:09 PM   #7

We have a 29 ME that we love! Small handling issues in strong winds, have most of that handled. Th rear storage was a big plus for us no slide out problems, the water heater also has been a non issue. You will be very happy with your choice.
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #8

Where is the Fuse box for the house? I cant find mine and have the same model
Doug W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug W View Post
Where is the Fuse box for the house? I cant find mine and have the same model
On the 2015 it is at the foot of the bed. Has a grey or black cover.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:27 AM   #10

Congrats on your new motor home,you will love it.WE have the 2017 MV ,liked both models but chose the MV ,liked the inside storage a little more,got the front entertainment center,even more storage up there.Thought the outside storage might be an issue,but not problem at all.The engine and drive train pulls my Jeep wrangler just fine,plenty of power !Handles just fine on the highway with out any modifications at all.
The only thing I wish we had would be an electric and gas hot water heater,the on demand works fine but we usually are in campgrounds with full hook up.
Enjoy your new ride.!
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote