Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-14-2016, 04:16 PM   #1

2017 Greyhawk 29MV

I plan on ordering a 2017 Greyhawk 29MV soon. I would like to hear from anyone that already ordered and received one. Are you happy with your purchase? I am still "on the fence" about the full body paint option. Since I live in AZ and will keep it stored in open storage facility I am concerned about the full paint colors fading since they are primarily dark colors. Wish they offered a full body paint that was primarily white with white roof. Anyone own a newer model Greyhawk 29MV that has the standard fiberglass with decals? Do the decals peel off in the heat? I've heard from some of my "snowbird" neighbors that have motorhomes up in Canada that decals can start to peel under bad weather conditions. Should I order full body paint option even though it is mostly dark colors? I don't need the bunk of cab so I will order the front entertainment system and the 12 cu. ft. refrigerator and the 2nd A/C for the bedroom. Glad Jayco began to offer the 2nd A/C with 2017 model year. This will be my first RV purchase on my own. I plan on primarily using it to get away from the hottest summer months here in AZ and go away for a few months (where to be decided). Winters are nice here so it will be stored mostly in winter and spring months.

The picture on the Jayco website for the 2017 Greyhawk is misleading. I received two photos of actual motorhomes with the full body paint from Jayco, through dealer I will be buying from.
Attached Thumbnails
2017-Jayco-full-body-paint-options.jpg  
crazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #2

Congratulations on the soon to be new purchase and welcome to the forum.

If you haven't considered it already, keep in mind that here in AZ we don't have to go far to get cool. Just go up! We spent the summer monsoon season as camp hosts at ~7,500 ft. not far from Happy Jack; mid 80's for highs and mid 50's at night.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylegs View Post
I plan on ordering a 2017 Greyhawk 29MV soon. I would like to hear from anyone that already ordered and received one. Are you happy with your purchase? I am still "on the fence" about the full body paint option. Since I live in AZ and will keep it stored in open storage facility I am concerned about the full paint colors fading since they are primarily dark colors. Wish they offered a full body paint that was primarily white with white roof. Anyone own a newer model Greyhawk 29MV that has the standard fiberglass with decals? Do the decals peel off in the heat? I've heard from some of my "snowbird" neighbors that have motorhomes up in Canada that decals can start to peel under bad weather conditions. Should I order full body paint option even though it is mostly dark colors? I don't need the bunk of cab so I will order the front entertainment system and the 12 cu. ft. refrigerator and the 2nd A/C for the bedroom. Glad Jayco began to offer the 2nd A/C with 2017 model year. This will be my first RV purchase on my own. I plan on primarily using it to get away from the hottest summer months here in AZ and go away for a few months (where to be decided). Winters are nice here so it will be stored mostly in winter and spring months.

The picture on the Jayco website for the 2017 Greyhawk is misleading. I received two photos of actual motorhomes with the full body paint from Jayco, through dealer I will be buying from.
I just took delivery last month on a 2017 29MV. I choose not to have the fully body paint as didnt see the need in the $8,000 option. If the decals start to peel it wont cost nearly that much to replace them. I also dont think you will get nearly that on resale. I did opt for the front entertainment center that also provides for a lot more cabinet storage space up there as well. Also got the 12cuft fridge. So far I love it. Everything has worked great. Drives well too. Lots of power. I am planning another trip next week for Thanksgiving and probably another for Christmas. I think you will be happy with the 29MV, good choice.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:45 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips. I was hoping to avoid the mountains for getting away in the summer but maybe I will be surprised by how well the motorhome does. I will keep in mind destinations within AZ. I would love to find some place around San Diego so I can get my fill of seeing the ocean. I've lived in San Francisco Bay area and also in small coastal town of Long Beach, WA. I love living in AZ but miss seeing and hearing the ocean, an walking on the beach. I'm getting more excited now about my purchase. Just waiting to hear what the lead time is on ordering a new 2017 Greyhawk 29mv with the options I want. I hope to time it for delivery in late April or early May.
Old 11-15-2016, 05:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I was hoping to avoid the mountains for getting away in the summer but maybe I will be surprised by how well the motorhome does. I will keep in mind destinations within AZ. I would love to find some place around San Diego so I can get my fill of seeing the ocean. I've lived in San Francisco Bay area and also in small coastal town of Long Beach, WA. I love living in AZ but miss seeing and hearing the ocean, an walking on the beach. I'm getting more excited now about my purchase. Just waiting to hear what the lead time is on ordering a new 2017 Greyhawk 29mv with the options I want. I hope to time it for delivery in late April or early May.
As far as lead times go. I hear many different experiences. I think it depends on what time of the year you order. I placed the order for mine in early August of this year. I ordered it because of the two options that are not common stock for the 29MV at dealers across the US (at least the combination of the two options I wanted, over head entertainment center and larger frig).
When I place my order I was told they actually had them "on the line" (meaning in the production line) at the time of my order so I could expect it "off the line" within six weeks. After coming off the line I was told to expect about a week for the manufactures testing and inspection and then another two weeks for delivery to the dealer (mine was in OH, 250 miles from the factory).
It turns out it was right on time arriving at the dealer. So from me from time of order to deliver to the dealer and ready for me to pick up it was about 9 weeks.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:04 AM   #6

2017 greyhawk 29MV

Hello from colorado,
My wife and I bought a 29MV with the 12 CF optional refridge this last summer. It does not have the dark pinstripes and it has the bunk bed above the cab. Kids love this as they can make their own "fort" and watch tv too when we go to bed. The single AC is fully used in hot summer months and might be not enough for your territory. This one has the mach 15 heat pump so you can utilize the electric heat and not drain the LP tank. You will love the new tankless hot water heater as this is a step up from the old style. the single battery is not enough to "boondock" for days without electricity but we have the 4kw 33.3 amp generator that will run all our appliances and charge the battery. The Ford e450 chassis has only needed a brake bleed for us and it will do 45mph up the mountains getting 6-7mpg but 9 on the flats w/o AC running. it has a 55 gal gas tank and you are wise to run 87 Octane . After small fix's we are real impressed our first nice class C RV and she loves the kitchen layout the best. My advise would be "take your time on your PDI no matter what, all things should be working and checked" RV Inspection Checklist

Ted Littleton , Colorado
Tgroves526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:50 AM   #7

Purchased 2017 Greyhawk 29mv in July, we elected the white and coffee to keep away from fading. Love it, only problem we've had is stress cracking on front cap below hawk sticker. Jayco has now approved a cap replacement under warranty. Found cracking when cleaning bugs off.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
dgantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:51 PM   #8

Thanks Ted. I used to live in Lafayette, CO so I've been thinking about CO as another place to get way from summer heat but dreaded the climb up I-70 into the mountains. I know it is much cooler up there. Glad to hear you're happy with your 2017.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:05 PM   #9

Hi Crazylegs,

I have a 2016 31FS with full body paint. Mine is dark too, but they don't paint the roof (at least in 2016), so it is all white including the slides. Good call on the (2) 11K AC's. the extra 7K colling should help compared to my single 15K. I found that using insulating windshield and side window coverings in the cab helps and I can keep reasonably cool when it's 105F. I also made slide roof coverings out of that reflective bubble insulation. It helps a lot but you have to get on the roof to put it in place. The slide roofs aren't insulated as good as the main roof, so they need help. As far as paint vs. decals, the paint is quality with a good clear coat and will last much longer than those decals. One other thing I did that you may want to consider is the wheels. If you like the look of aluminum wheels, save the $1800. The aluminum wheels offered are no name. I added Alcoa wheels later then sold three of the steel wheels and kept one for a spare. I got the wheels and all hardware for $1100 plus $20 bucks a wheel for swap. Once I worked out a few bugs (you will get some!), I ended up being very happy with my rig and I hope you will too!

James
jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks Ted. I used to live in Lafayette, CO .
well, we're here now...

We've got a similar unit, the 2016 31FK. Same chassis and I'll bet about the same length/weight. It powers up the mountains just fine. You won't set any speed records, but you won't get too many One Finger Salutes either!

We were up in Golden Gate Canyon last week. And in the summer, we'd head up to RMNP to cool off often.

I wouldn't worry too much about a lack of power to head up I-70, or 34 or 287 or...
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:41 PM   #11

Fresh Water Tank Overflow?

Hello, Everyone!!

I own a 2017 Greyhawk 29MV. I recently had to drive behind the RV with my car and noticed that when my spouse made a right turn, there was water spewing out of one of the three open hoses connected to the fresh water tank. The tank was just a little over 1/3 full. Not sure if it's supposed to do that and wondering what those three open hoses are for. I was thinking about plugging them up since I think one day, I may encounter a creature venturing up in there. Your replies would be greatly appreciated....Thank you in advance!!

Olga.
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazerandu View Post
Hello, Everyone!!

I own a 2017 Greyhawk 29MV. I recently had to drive behind the RV with my car and noticed that when my spouse made a right turn, there was water spewing out of one of the three open hoses connected to the fresh water tank. The tank was just a little over 1/3 full. Not sure if it's supposed to do that and wondering what those three open hoses are for. I was thinking about plugging them up since I think one day, I may encounter a creature venturing up in there. Your replies would be greatly appreciated....Thank you in advance!!

Olga.
That is a "design engineering" feature of most Jayco RVs. Our 2008 does the same thing and has the same three fresh water tank air-gap drains.

Many owners have installed small shut off valves to prevent water loss but they must be opened each time the tank is filled.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 04:24 PM   #13

A favor to ask...

Hello, Everyone!

I recently had some work done on my unit and was wondering if someone can send me a picture of underneath the bedroom slide for a 2017 Greyhawk 29MV. I think there is a missing rubber seal/gasket underneath that slide where it butts up against the wall of the unit, on the outside of course. Thank you in advance!!!

Olga.
Stargazerandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 06:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazerandu View Post
Hello, Everyone!

I recently had some work done on my unit and was wondering if someone can send me a picture of underneath the bedroom slide for a 2017 Greyhawk 29MV. I think there is a missing rubber seal/gasket underneath that slide where it butts up against the wall of the unit, on the outside of course. Thank you in advance!!!

Olga.
Typically there is not a rubber seal on the underside of a slide out. Check the other slide outs.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:56 PM   #15

Update:
I got my order placed (hopefully to beat the RV show starting this week in Chicago so now it's time to sit back and wait and do the research on where to get RV insurance.

I've also been researching other options in AZ mountains for summer months. Show Low, AZ looks like a possibility and friends tell me the road to Show Low is good.

I have investigated options about where to title/license and decided I will go ahead and register and license here in AZ. Biggest issue now is the fact I will be traveling for a period of time before I get back to AZ so have to figure out how to handle that. I now plan on driving from Chicago suburbs to Long Beach, WA and then head down the coast of Oregon and down California coast to Mendocino and then go inland to I-5 down to Sacramento, CA and then switch over to Rt 99 south making a stop to see my parents' former home in Lodi, CA and then on to Las Vegas, NV and then return home to AZ and take a breather before going off again for cooler climates. I've had fun shopping for items for the RV but I'm sure there will be plenty more things I find I need. I am glad there is a Camping World in Avondale, AZ to make it easy to drive down and pick up things. Sure wish Jayco would publish the specs for the size of the dinette made out into bed and the tri-fold sofa made into a bed. I have no idea what size of sheets to buy. I am guessing they will require full size sheets. Is that correct? Wish I had a Greyhawk 29MV nearby I go go look at and measure for myself.

I really appreciate all the comments I have received here and look forward to enjoying my RV and continuing to learn from experienced RVers.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #16

Quote:
Sure wish Jayco would publish the specs for the size of the dinette made out into bed and the tri-fold sofa made into a bed. I have no idea what size of sheets to buy. I am guessing they will require full size sheets. Is that correct? Wish I had a Greyhawk 29MV nearby I go go look at and measure for myself.

I really appreciate all the comments I have received here and look forward to enjoying my RV and continuing to learn from experienced RVers.
We're in a 31FK so our sofa is different I think but our dinettes will be the same. Yes - full size will fit the dinette but we grabbed queen sized for everything so it's just easier. Nothing to sort out and keep straight.

Bear in mind, your queen bed in back will probably be a Short Queen like ours. A short queen is 75" long instead of the usual 80".

The cab over area is queen sized. Since we've got three kids, having queen sheets for all four sleeping areas just made more sense to us.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #17

I also live in AZ and wondering how you like your 29MV so far? Anything you wished you ordered or didn't? Enough storage space? How was the service department in making repairs? If you don't mind answering, were you happy with the dealer? In the next month or two, I have decided on the 29MV too and would appreciate your feedback. Thank you.
LivingOneDayataTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:47 PM   #18

Found a fully painted unit , Summer Bliss, with 2 a/c and 12 cf frig new in Fla during a camper show sale for less than a standard one. So far everything is good. Some things to check out, there is no spare tire and no where to put on under the chassie. I took someones advise and ordered the Roadmaster tire carrier that goes in the hitch. Expensive but nice to have a spare without using a whole compartment. Also you might want to order slide out covers, not standard. I haven't tried using the two a/c at the same time but told they work as long as you don't run much else. Good luck.
Joet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #19

I have ordered my 29MV but haven't heard yet when the dealer expects delivery. I am getting excited and planning for my first trip. I've been buying a lot of stuff I think I will need (based upon what other RV owners have told me), and looking I am looking at campgrounds where I think I will want to stay on my first trip as well as the next trip. I can't tell you anything about the dealer's service yet but I have expectation of no problems. They have a great reputation.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:09 AM   #20

Be careful w/ the hitch mount tire carrier. From what I've read those things are pretty heavy, and the tire itself is heavy too. That much dead weight on the hitch that far back from the rear axle might unload your front axle a bit. Something to keep in mind ...

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote