Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2017, 11:50 PM   #1

2017 Greyhawk 31 FS maiden voyage

Well me, the wife, daughter, and the cat just got back from a week in the new rig. Likes and dislikes.

Overcab bunk. So much more spacious than my 96 Eagle. So glad they got rid of that long front window, which was more trouble than it was worth. Really like the electric pivoting T.V. A negative is that bunk ladder. It looks nice but the rungs really hurt your feet without shoes on. The rungs need to be 2-3 times larger.

Fiberglass wrap over roof. Very very nice.

Jay ride. Beautiful ride down the highway. Well done, but the steering is a bit heavy, but the rig is 3000 more pounds than my old Eagle, so is to be expected. The V10 and transmission A+

Navigation system. Hate it. The screen is not responsive enough to touch. I found myself jabbing at it a lot more than I should. Sometimes I would give up and use my phone navigation. Perhaps I just need a little more time with it, but it's no Garmin for sure. Is not nearly as intuitive as Garmin.

Driver and passenger seats. Really like the electric seats. Very comfy. Much improved over the old stock seats.

Electric step and auto-leveling. Love it until it breaks. Will maintain it as much as possible, but it works very well. My wife was inside as it leveled and she got a kick out of it.

Steel wheels. Very difficult to air up with the chrome covers on. I'm going to change out the stems for after market ones.

Power cord. Is that 30 amp plug really suppose to fit through that hole in the floor? The round tab to pull the plug is nice, but getting it through that hole is a lot of work.

Cabinetry. Very nice and super abundant. I think I counted almost 35 or so storage units in all. So many that they warn you in the manual that if you fill them all you could find yourself over GVWR.

Wardrobe. I took the two mirrored doors off, and use the space for a scratching post and litter box. The cat can get to it with the slide in or out.

Slides. Luv em. I go up on the roof before retracting and brush off the debris since there is no topper.

Full size Microwave and twin air conditioners. Great.

Led light and switches. Really like the LED and the much larger switches are very nice.

Frameless windows. Very nice.

Overall I really like this rig. I'm 65 now, and I keep finding myself looking for things where they we're in the old 96. There is a bit of stress learning a new rig, but by the end of summer I hope it will become routine. I'm glad I stuck with Jayco.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:52 AM   #2

Congratulations on the new rig. Enjoy many miles of happiness.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #3

Congratulations on the new rig, hope you have many pleasant trips in the future.

I also hated the Jayco-supplied ladder, so I fabricated one myself. Much easier on the feet and so much sturdier than the O.E. If you need more info on how I did it check this prior thread:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...der-40680.html
Attached Thumbnails
New ladder.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:42 AM   #4

Thank you so much. That ladder is the ticket. I'm gonna do that. One other thing I noticed with the stock ladder is that it also put a small dimple in the linoleum. Your ladder has nice big feet.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #5

I added a few more pictures in the other thread (above link) that may help. And I think the Amazon price is less now than what I paid!
Old 05-08-2017, 04:00 PM   #6

Rob, I just bought it. It was $67 dollars and free shipping. So 1/8 metal does the trick. That paint job you did is nice. Any special prep for that? thanks, Don
Old 05-08-2017, 05:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by t18skyguy View Post
Rob, I just bought it. It was $67 dollars and free shipping. So 1/8 metal does the trick. That paint job you did is nice. Any special prep for that? thanks, Don
I think I paid about $89. You did great!

The new brackets are two pieces of 1" x 1/8" flat stock. The 2 pieces were placed side by side welded together. One piece long enough to lay on the beam where the original rubber bumper was located. I drilled out the rivets and the rubber popped right off. Used those original rivet holes to secure the brackets back on using those holes and new rivets. The second piece of steel is the longer one which becomes the hook end as you can see in the pictures. Configured the way I did it matched up with my bunk brackets perfectly, you'll have to assess that spacing on your rig and adjust as necessary.

To prep the ladder for paint I just carefully wiped it completely down with acetone and allowed it do dry thoroughly. It was very dirty and "greasy" when it arrived.

Good luck!
Old 05-08-2017, 05:09 PM   #8

Keep an eye on the caulking around the seams. I was surprised to see some big gaps after one season with our 2016. Not a big deal to recaulk - just keep an eye on things.

Navigation system. Hate it.

Not sure if we have the same one - mine's in the Jensen JRV215N. If so, yeah, really quirky and no way should it be used while driving. But it works and I like the "find a gas station" feature.

I hate it - a bit less - now after a season.

Power cord. Is that 30 amp plug really suppose to fit through that hole in the floor? The round tab to pull the plug is nice, but getting it through that hole is a lot of work.

Fishing that and the water hose up thru the holes isn't my favorite task either.
I'm going to come up with an extension for the water hose but will probably just continue to ignore the hold for electric.

twin air conditioners. Great.

Very smart getting the twin ACs. If one thing makes us dump this unit, it'll be if we can solve the single AC problem.

Enjoy the rig!!
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post

Very smart getting the twin ACs. If one thing makes us dump this unit, it'll be if we can solve the single AC problem.

Enjoy the rig!!
I got solar blockers for the windows and it helped a great deal w/ the heat last year. I also have Heat Shield branded windshield/side glass deflectors for the front; this year I'm rigging a thermal cab curtain to go across the cab opening. I'm hoping all three combine for a noticeable impact.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I got solar blockers for the windows and it helped a great deal w/ the heat last year. I also have Heat Shield branded windshield/side glass deflectors for the front; this year I'm rigging a thermal cab curtain to go across the cab opening. I'm hoping all three combine for a noticeable impact.
X 2 on Jopopsy's suggestions. Even though I have 2 A/Cs, the cab can add a significant amount of heat to the interior making it hard to keep up in the midday sun. My wife repurposed our original quilted bedspread as a cab drape since we have a RV Superbag on our bed. The drape really helps both in the summer and winter.

The picture is prior to the new ladder as you can see!
Attached Thumbnails
20150905_071028.jpg  
Old 05-09-2017, 06:13 AM   #11

These are the solar shades I got for the windows:

RV Accessory Store - RV TOY STORE - 1-800-334-5533

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post

Keep an eye on the caulking around the seams. I was surprised to see some big gaps after one season with our 2016. Not a big deal to recaulk - just keep an eye on things.

Navigation system. Hate it.

Not sure if we have the same one - mine's in the Jensen JRV215N. If so, yeah, really quirky and no way should it be used while driving. But it works and I like the "find a gas station" feature.

I hate it - a bit less - now after a season.

Fishing that and the water hose up thru the holes isn't my favorite task either.
I'm going to come up with an extension for the water hose but will probably just continue to ignore the hold for electric.

Enjoy the rig!!
PC, do you remember where specifically the joints opened up? I'm about to order a new metal canopy as my old one is too short, but I'm on that roof like white on rice. I already have the caulking that I believe is a match. I try and catch any problem immediately. Thanks, Don
Old 05-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Well me, the wife, daughter, and the cat just got back from a week in the new rig. Likes and dislikes.

Overcab bunk. So much more spacious than my 96 Eagle. So glad they got rid of that long front window, which was more trouble than it was worth. Really like the electric pivoting T.V. A negative is that bunk ladder. It looks nice but the rungs really hurt your feet without shoes on. The rungs need to be 2-3 times larger.

Jay ride. Beautiful ride down the highway. Well done, but the steering is a bit heavy, but the rig is 3000 more pounds than my old Eagle, so is to be expected. The V10 and transmission A+

Navigation system. Hate it. The screen is not responsive enough to touch. I found myself jabbing at it a lot more than I should. Sometimes I would give up and use my phone navigation. Perhaps I just need a little more time with it, but it's no Garmin for sure. Is not nearly as intuitive as Garmin.

Driver and passenger seats. Really like the electric seats. Very comfy. Much improved over the old stock seats.

Electric step and auto-leveling. Love it until it breaks. Will maintain it as much as possible, but it works very well. My wife was inside as it leveled and she got a kick out of it.

Steel wheels. Very difficult to air up with the chrome covers on. I'm going to change out the stems for after market ones.

Cabinetry. Very nice and super abundant. I think I counted almost 35 or so storage units in all. So many that they warn you in the manual that if you fill them all you could find yourself over GVWR.

Wardrobe. I took the two mirrored doors off, and use the space for a scratching post and litter box. The cat can get to it with the slide in or out.

Slides. Luv em. I go up on the roof before retracting and brush off the debris since there is no topper.

Full size Microwave and twin air conditioners. Great.

Led light and switches. Really like the LED and the much larger switches are very nice.

Frameless windows. Very nice.

Overall I really like this rig. I'm 65 now, and I keep finding myself looking for things where they we're in the old 96. There is a bit of stress learning a new rig, but by the end of summer I hope it will become routine. I'm glad I stuck with Jayco.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You are 100% correct on the ladder hurting the Feet................. ask me I know , I am 71 and I tried it just for the heck of it........ now used for storage.

I just installed Vent Covers on the Bedroom Vent and the Bathroom Vent.

Had Camping world put on Toppers on the Slides

2017 Jayco Gray Hawk DS 31
Toad: 2013 Honda CRV
US NAVY & ARMY
GrayHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:30 PM   #14

Quote:
PC, do you remember where specifically the joints opened up? I'm about to order a new metal canopy as my old one is too short, but I'm on that roof like white on rice. I already have the caulking that I believe is a match. I try and catch any problem immediately. Thanks, Don
Don - wish I had the coach here I'd take a picture. But on each side, very close to the cab - and running the entire height (top to bottom) is a seam where the front fiberglass cap attaches to the walls.

That seam is covered by some plastic moulding. Drivers side, near the roof, that moulding had pulled away.

It was really obvious. So as long as I had the caulking gun out, I went over every seam I could see. Found some other gaps also around the front cap (by the roof of the Ford) and then in the very back, upper right corner by ladder where roof is joined to rear wall.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote