Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #1

2017 jayco 29MV Under bed storage?

Hello Jayco Owners,
It has been a pleasure reading all the technical posts. very informative, but i have a possibly a real simple question. My wife and I were real excited to see the rear queen bed lift up but im looking down under in the storage compartments at the water utility center? i see in the front by my feet are the converter / inverter / switch and thats covered but there is a good 2x4 feet open. Can I put trim down low and cut some 1/2 or 5/8 plywood for storage? was the design for heat or maybe a super secret way in the coach? lol thanks Ted Littleton,colorado
Attached Thumbnails
29MV layout.JPG  
Tgroves526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:23 PM   #2

If it's the same as the 2016 29MV, there is a ledge running around the three sides of the compartment (the fourth side is where the cargo door is). I put plywood on the ledge and keep a few items on top of the plywood. Below the plywood I have two plastic containers with hoses and other stuff. No problem using the whole space for storage.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:32 PM   #3

The hinged 3/8 plywood bed base is not strong enough to support the mattress , the mattress will sag with a few nights use . The the 1.25 inch pine support beams will start to drag on the plywood paneling used as a cover for the electrical / inverter area . My bed slide out dragged when moved . My dealer supplied 1.25 wide slick plastic strips to cover the perimeter edge of the support frame . I made a new torsion box to support the mattress . 5/8 plywood top 1/4 plywood on the bottom with hard maple beam inside slightly thicker than the original. I also added 3/4 insulation board to the spaces of the torsion box . ( in cold weather I could feel the cold from the storage area below the bed ) The top of the storage box below was sealed with a 1/4 inch plywood and insulation foam board . Bed comfort was greatly improved . Slide now moves smoothly . Dealer replaced the mattress with Denver mattress that we did not use . We had a custom mattress made with regular corners to 72 inches that does not hit the dressed when closed .
Davidmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #4

Davidmac, I really like the mods you made to the rear bed to strengthen the support base, insulate and make the bedroom slide not have so much drag. Even though you went into great detail in your post it is hard for me to visualize what you actually did and what went where, etc. Is it possible to send me pictures and also a list of what you actually had to buy and use for the project? I am no carpenter but maybe I can get a carpenter friend to do the same modifications to my 2016 GH 29MV. Any additional information would definitely be appreciated. Also, who made your new mattress?
Thanks,
Butch C
Butch C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:20 AM   #5

Torsion Box for Bed Support Jayco 29MV

Butch C Attached are the photos of the torsion box that I made for the bed platform . The top of the torsion box is 5/8 smooth plywood the bottom is 1/4 smooth plywood . The rails and stiles of the actual box are 1.25 inch hard maple . I rounded the bottom corners of the torsion box even though I has the mattress made with regular corners . My dealer supplied the plastic glide strips that cover the rails that the torsion box sit on . ( they are made of the plastic that are used as furniture glides ) I dropped the cover to the electrical component area so that it would be below the rails . I also covered the opening to the storage box area with 1/4 plywood and added 3/4 insulation board as I found it too cold in the cooler weather . I had to add a piece of 5/8 plywood to the pillow side of the slide out to even out the hinge height . The dealer replaced the original mattress with a Denver mattress that we did not use . We had a custom mattress mace at Croydon Mattress factory in Bensalem PA . We had the mattress made to 72" so that it didn't hit the opposite wall . I have since added a piece of 3/4 Foam board under the mattress to raise the pillow to level . We have spent close to 60 days sleeping on the and are quite happy with it
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0080.JPG   IMG_0081.JPG   IMG_0084.JPG   IMG_0089.JPG  
Old 09-21-2016, 12:24 AM   #6

OMG! You MADE that? Fortunately, my son in law is a finish carpenter, but if I had known that I might be asking for this big a favor, I would have been nicer to him.

I have a 2017 MV29 and a 6'4" husband. We took delivery this week and it is now in storage. Do you know the length of the standard "Queen" mattress. If we reinforce the platform something that you did, what's the maximum mattress length that you think we could get on that slide?

Our salesman suggested we just slide the mattress out from the headboard and then insert a piece of foam along the top edge of mattress in order to "extend" it a little. The foot of the mattress is already drooping off the platform so I can only imagine that the extra foam insert would cause my husband to slide off the mattress.

I would appreciate any ideas for solutions.

Thanks.

Kathleen
Livin' and lovin' Life!
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 06:10 AM   #7

The mattress in my Grayhawk 29MV was a RV short Queen it was 74 inches long . Some short RV short Queens are 75 inches long . The built in drawers opposite the foot of the bed are made so the mattress has to slides under the some of drawers about 2 inches . I had my mattress made to 72 inches so that it just cleared the drawers . The mattress company saved the 8 inch cutoff for me . With the slide out opened the mattress can be slid down and the 8 inch extension place under the pillow end . The mattress will now support my 6 foot 3 son in law .
Old 09-21-2016, 08:29 AM   #8

That sounds like a clever solution. Questions:

• Did the mattress company finish all sides of the cutoff piece?
  • With the cutoff piece in place, wasn't the platform too short to support the extra length?
  • My husband sleeps on his back and if his feet slope downward too much, it seems that it could bow his back and lead to painful situation.
  • What was the approximate cost? and which factory did you use?

Thanks for your response.

Kathleen
Livin' and lovin' Life!
Old 09-21-2016, 10:46 AM   #9

I did not have the cut off piece finished . They would have finished the piece if I wanted to pay for it . My factory mattress hung over the original bed support to start with . I made the new bed support as long as I could, the new mattress comes all the way to the end of the new support . A full size Queen mattress is 80 inches long . A extra piece of 3/8 plywood could be slid under the mattress a few feet to extend the support the last 8 inches . The mattress company had many grades of mattress to choose from . We went to their showroom and tried them out , so we knew exactly what we were going to get. We chose a solid foam mattress like we use at home it was a little over $1000.00 . We live about 35 mile from the mattress factory and were happy to be able to try the mattress before hand . The mattress factory is near Philadelphia PA and has custom made mattress for years. the Dad is in his 90 s and still comes in to work . www.croydonmattress.com/ We have used the mattress about 60 days in the last 10 months and are quite happy with it .
Note . I am very sensitive to the level of the bed . When our RV is level the bed slide out is lower at the head area .I solved this by placing a 3/4 inch piece of foam board under the head area of the mattress. It didn't matter to my wife but made a big difference to me .
Old 09-21-2016, 10:57 AM   #10

Thanks so much for all the GREAT info. Love the bit about the 90 year old Dad. We have some research to do as we are in Southern California, but this entire bed thing is on the list.

Again, thanks, for your very gracious assistance.

Kathleen
Livin' and lovin' Life!