Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2017, 05:49 PM   #1

2017 Melbourne 24K---Propane

While installing my TRIK-L-START circuit between House and Starting batteries, beneath the Motorhome's floor, I noticed a "capped" coil of propane hose (I think) adjacent to the electric step.
Are any of you aware of this???
Possibly, a non-mentioned factory "prep" for BBQ?
If so, is it just a matter of removing the Cap, installing an appropriate fitting to which one could attach the BBQ? Properly regulated?

On another note, viewing wire routing/installation at the step, left me unimpressed. Looks like a twist of spaghetti --------- i.e. a host of individual wires of various gauges, non-protected from road hazards, wet, etc. Guess that's another "bring up to standards" job

By the way, the TRIK-L-START appears to be doing it's job. I've observed yellow (for charge) and green (for maintaining) lights operating as, described in their instruction.

Rudy
petersrc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #2

I don't recall seeing that coiled hose under a 2016 model. MB does have a coiled fuel line though on the drivers side. I plug a Trickle charger in under the dinette and into the 12v outlet under the ash tray to keep my starter topped off while in storage. I agree on the wiring mess and have you noticed any un-painted metal that's started to rust underneath? Every time I crawl underneath I find more spots that need to be sprayed. Speaking of wiring mess have you looked under the bed or behind wherever they put the converter/breaker/fuse box in your model?
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:22 PM   #3

Most bbq extensions end up at the back of the unit, either behind the rear wheels or on the rear bumper. Post up a pic of this "coil" of hose.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:32 PM   #4

Thanks PF and JIMP

PF, ---------I didn't see a coil of propane tubing on driver's side. They may have chosen to run it to passenger side, thinking that's where BBQ would likely be used??

And, Yes ------- I was looking to add a reading light onto the bedroom slide's rear wall; opened the area beneath the mattress and quickly decided on an alternate source of the needed 120 VAC. What a mess!
I may study/organize the wiring beneath the bed mattress some time in the future???
I affixed a switchable reading light midpoint on rear slide wall.
To get power to it, I installed a length of adhesive wire track/mold atop the slide (beneath the mattress) to a point where I could plug it into the 120 VAC outlet, protecting the portion that moved with the slide, with a plastic split wire loom. Works well, I think. (Jayco should have run in one or two reading lights at Factory).
I'll try to get a pic or two when next at the Motorhome.

jimp -------- I've not come across any propane "tubing" running rearward.
I'll see whether I can get a pic of "coil" next to step, some time when at the Unit.

Rudy
Old 04-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #5

Funny that's why I was looking under the bed. I was thinking of a 12v light though.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:22 AM   #6

the coil of hose may be a trip extender kit, used to connect a separate propane tank to the main line for the furnace so you don't have to break camp when you run low on propane on an extended stay (snowbirding, etc)
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
the coil of hose may be a trip extender kit, used to connect a separate propane tank to the main line for the furnace so you don't have to break camp when you run low on propane on an extended stay (snowbirding, etc)
Hadn't considered that possibility, jimp.
And if so, why routed to the passenger side of the Coach?
This points again to the lack of Model specific,Factory provided how-to documentation/operator manuals.
More "research" I guess.
Old 04-11-2017, 07:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by petersrc2 View Post
Hadn't considered that possibility, jimp.
And if so, why routed to the passenger side of the Coach?
This points again to the lack of Model specific,Factory provided how-to documentation/operator manuals.
More "research" I guess.
Do you have any pictures yet?
Old 04-11-2017, 08:09 AM   #9

Propane quick connect

Our 2017 Melbourne has a BBQ quick connect mounted under the edge of the MH just aft of the step. It is not a trip extender.
BullDozerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:11 AM   #10

Propane quick connect

Our 2017 Melbourne 24k has a BBQ quick connect mounted under the edge of the MH just aft of the step. It is not a trip extender.
BullDozerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Not yet, Pf --------- won't get there today either. Retirement's too busy!

BullDozerBob probably identified the intended use of that coil -------- another of Jayco's "hurry-up" completions?
Old 04-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Hi PF
Dropped by Melbourne to "dewinterize" and check things; snapped a few pics, of Coil of propane hose, mentioned earlier.
From BullDozerBob's comments, it Looks like Jayco just didn't finish the BBQ QuickConnect at the step//
I also snapped pics of some wire shelving I'd installed to the passenger side storage compartment. And, another pic of a reading light installed to the bedroom slide.
I'm still considering converting the dinette slide (Sometime) with a couple of recliners, similar to that shown last year in LindaInTexas post.

Rudy
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0912.jpg   IMG_0919.jpg   IMG_0917.jpg