Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #1

2018 29 MVP - Delivered!

Yesterday was my delivery day! I had my appointment at 10AM and we walked the coach. All went real smooth and everything appeared to be right with no issues. Every button and switch worked. Did not get to try the heater, was 95* outside but both A/C worked really good!

Drove the unit home, about 30 miles. Real nice drive home but seemed like a little play in the wheel but not too bad. Radio worked listened to some tunes and was very happy. Got to the house and parked it and set the parking brake. Went back out a few minutes later to start getting to know the coach. When I went to turn on the radio to program the Bluetooth, no radio! I have the Garmin RV-BBT600. The RV Hub Remote turns on but it seems that the RV Hub dock has no power now. Not sure if I should tear into it or let service deal with it. I'll try again today before I call the service department on Monday.

Anyway, it's a real nice unit and cannot wait to build memories with this unit like my past TT and 5th wheel.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:18 AM   #2

Congratulations and glad your PDI went smoothly.

RE: "... seemed like a little play in the wheel...". As as start, I suggest you have the tire inflation checked. IMO, dealers have the pressures low to make a 'soft' ride, but that is not the best tire pressure for handling or tire wear.

Hope you get your radio issue fixed quickly.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:59 AM   #3

@oldmanAZ thank you sir! I'll check the tire pressure when I get home tonight, good point! The radio will work before our first camping trip, I promise that!
Old 07-23-2017, 04:25 PM   #4

Opposite can be true

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Congratulations and glad your PDI went smoothly.

RE: "... seemed like a little play in the wheel...". As as start, I suggest you have the tire inflation checked. IMO, dealers have the pressures low to make a 'soft' ride, but that is not the best tire pressure for handling or tire wear.
I actually found the opposite. Someone on the forum referred me to a Michelin site for tire pressure. On my rig the recommended tire pressure for the front tires according to the tire manufacturer was 75lbs. The dealers tend to auto fill the tires to 80lbs. The rears are supposed to be 80. I found decreasing the pressure to Michelin's recommendations improved handling and made for a better driving experience.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
I actually found the opposite. Someone on the forum referred me to a Michelin site for tire pressure. On my rig the recommended tire pressure for the front tires according to the tire manufacturer was 75lbs. The dealers tend to auto fill the tires to 80lbs. The rears are supposed to be 80. I found decreasing the pressure to Michelin's recommendations improved handling and made for a better driving experience.

Do you have the link to the Michelin pressure guide? All I could find was for the larger class a tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
Thanks, 'Griz'. That's the first time I'd heard that and I'll keep that in mind. Usually lowering the fronts takes out some of the harshness. Improving handling a bonus!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:51 AM   #7

Thanks to Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk98 View Post
Do you have the link to the Michelin pressure guide? All I could find was for the larger class a tires.

Hopper sent me here ... Tire and Retread Selector | Michelin Truck

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:37 AM   #8

The garmin unit has a few quirks.
If the unit is in the cradle and you use the power button on the tablet it will look like it is on. You can do all sorts of things to it including going to the radio screen. However it will not play music or amp the tv sound. You have to press the button on the base plate to get the unit to actually play music. I think the base plate is the actual radio and the tablet is just an operator interface. Once both are on you should be able to use the radio. Additionally once you remove the tablet from the dock you will have significantly more buttons to play with.
If you have a back up camera the unit needs to be in the dock. You can turn the camera on but it will revert to the main screen every time you use your blinkers.

Good luck and congrats on your new toy.

RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:09 PM   #9

What ever happened to your Garmin dock and how was it fixed? We just took possession of our unit a couple weeks ago and our Garmin did the same thing one hour into our first trip.
cookmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:16 AM   #10

Congratulations Brady on your new 29 MVP. I to have purchased that same unit. It is bought and paid for but still at the dealer until I sell my fifth wheel and clear space in my shed. Some of the Prestege benefits I liked was the Window over the bunk in front, the 5 year/60'000 mile warranty on the motor and transmission and my wife liked the outside tv for our grandchildren to watch under the deck when it is raining. We have the larger refrigerator in ours as well. I drove ours before purchasing and was impressed with the ride handling. This sure is a good forum for information such as the tips above on air pressure. Hope you enjoy your camper.
Michigan-Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:05 AM   #11

Garmin on/off issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookmeat View Post
What ever happened to your Garmin dock and how was it fixed? We just took possession of our unit a couple weeks ago and our Garmin did the same thing one hour into our first trip.
Boy, do I feel like a dummy..... After looking through the owners manual several times, I found the solution to turning on the docking station for the hub. When you press the on/off button, you actually have to press and hold it down for 5 - 10 seconds for it to power up. The only place the manual says anything about this is in the illustration showing the front of the unit, describing what each button is for. Time to travel and let the music play once again.
cookmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:54 PM   #12

Best of luck with your new rig. Enjoy the open road
soccs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:36 PM   #13

Sometimes I wish the writers of the instructions would just add another sentence or two on certain things to help us users better understand how to operate those items. I’m glad you found your answer. Happy camping.
Old 01-26-2018, 09:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsZX72 View Post
Yesterday was my delivery day! I had my appointment at 10AM and we walked the coach. All went real smooth and everything appeared to be right with no issues. Every button and switch worked. Did not get to try the heater, was 95* outside but both A/C worked really good!

Drove the unit home, about 30 miles. Real nice drive home but seemed like a little play in the wheel but not too bad. Radio worked listened to some tunes and was very happy. Got to the house and parked it and set the parking brake. Went back out a few minutes later to start getting to know the coach. When I went to turn on the radio to program the Bluetooth, no radio! I have the Garmin RV-BBT600. The RV Hub Remote turns on but it seems that the RV Hub dock has no power now. Not sure if I should tear into it or let service deal with it. I'll try again today before I call the service department on Monday.

Anyway, it's a real nice unit and cannot wait to build memories with this unit like my past TT and 5th wheel.
I have the same unit; 2018 Greyhawk 29 MV. First have the unit aligned. They align it at the factory before the the box is installed so it's likely out of alignment for the added weight. The first alignment is paid by Jayco. use the dealer to get it done. I have experimented with the tire pressure, what I found works well for ride smoothness and stability is 70 psi front and 75 psi on the back. Don't over pressurize these tires. Last, have every connection in the breaker panel checked and tightened. I had a complete electric failure due to loose neutrals. It was a mess. it's fixed now and we love the coach. We have enjoyed several trips in it since the failure and e have had no issues. Enjoy you're new coach.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:37 AM   #15

You enjoy your new RV and have many memorable trips with your grandchildren.
soccs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookmeat View Post

Hey Cookmeat, it appears that my units power button is very tricky! I went through all the cables and everything seems fine. I have not had that issue or any other issues with the unit since. The power button on the dock does fight me sometime for powering on but it does work. I had to hold the power button down until the unit fully powered off then I powered it back on. Since then, all is good. Hope this helps you.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:33 PM   #17

Michigan Traveler,

Tell me what you think of the rear backup camera setup. I understand that is in the brake light and it's not movable. What is the viewing area when backing up and would you ever think of replacing it with an adjustable camera?

By the way the same question apply to anyone else it has the greyhawk 29mvp or a similar unit with the same type of backup camera backlight setup.
Jaytalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:46 AM   #18

I will have to get back to you on that. Several weeks back my 29 year old replacement hip loosened up. I have had successful revision surgery but will be a few weeks before I can be doing regular activities. My motorhome is still at the dealer. I am enjoying reading all the post pertaining to it. When I drove it prior to buying it seemed to give an adequate field of vision, but now I have another item to add to my list to check out. This site has been very informative.
Michigan-Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #19

The "play in the steering wheel" is the classic symptom of NOT having enough + caster.

Ford ships these cutaways with about +3 to +4 caster off the assembly line. Those settings are OK for city driving but you want to have +5 to +6 degrees of caster OTHERWISE:

POPULAR MECHANICS MAY 1973:
START QUOTE:
If too little caster exists, the car will wander and weave, thus necessitating constant corrections in steering.
END QUOTE:

There are at least two ways to increase the effective runtime caster (see Self Aligning Torque)
1. Decrease the tire inflation pressure to the required minimum for load (to increase Pneumatic Trail), and or
2. Increase the caster angle during an alignment (to increase caster trail).

So, get an alignment and insist on getting over +5 degrees of caster, The caster specification for the E 350/E450 is +1.5 to +7.0 degrees. So you can see any number is "within spec".
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:55 PM   #20

M-T
Sorry to hear about your surgery. Hope You Mend well and soon. Let me know when you have a chance to take a look at the back of camera.

Does anyone else have any comments regarding the backup camera on the greyhawk 29mvp?
Jaytalk is offline   Reply With Quote