Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-04-2017, 12:58 PM   #1

29MV Jackknife sofa

Went to the spring RV show and discovered that the 2017 29MV had a different and much better sofa in it. The 2017 MV sofa is a tri-fold sofa as compared to the jackknife in the 2015 MV. The tri-fold is actually usable. Cozy for two people, but the jackknife isn't even usable by a single person unless they're 5' tall or less.

With this in mind, went on a quest to get one for our MH. Just ordered it yesterday. $779 for the sofa and $300 for shipping. I'm going to have it installed as the inner two bolts of the jackknife are out of sight under the slide even though it's deployed. That'll probably be another $100 or so. Worth it as far as I'm concerned because it gives us space for our grown kids to sleep and their kids can sleep in the over cab bunk.
Old 03-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #2

On our 25BH the Jackknife sofa is the standard one and the Tri-fold was an optional upgrade. The one they had on the floor at the RV show had the Tri-fold option and we found sitting in it as a sofa it was more comfortable than a Jackknife that we sat in that was in a WhiteHawk 24MBH that was sitting across from the JF 25BH. The only complaint is we couldn't figure out how to convert it to a bed but the factory rep showed us how and said it is kind of confusing the first time. I totally agree that it is the only way to go of you think you ever need it as a bed but we found it more comfortable as a sofa as well. Being we have a bunk house I don't see us using it as a bed unless the kids get tired of crawling to the top bunk. Right now they are fighting over who gets to sleep up top.

The only think that sucked was the only model they had in stock and available with the Tri-fold was the one at the show so we ended up buying the trailer that 1000s of people had been through. The saleslady said they spend and extra day reconditioning each show model to make sure everything is right. Also I guess with everyone opening and closing the cabinets it is worth 10 years of abuse so if failed they will get replaced under warranty. When we brought our trade in to the dealer and did the paperwork we did go through it again and I really didn't see anything wrong but will take a much closer look at the PDI.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:11 PM   #3

Don, Did you order the sofa from Jayco directly? Please let us know how the installation went when it's finished. Thanks

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:49 PM   #4

I probably could have ordered directly from Mastercraft as I had been in comms with a saleswoman there. Dealing with her things got a bit ambiguous, so I held off ordering. I ended up at a local Jayco dealer and ordered from them. I had a screen shot of the sofa tag so they took the Jayco number directly off of that and made the order. So the order will go to Jayco, Mastercraft, Jayco, and then finally to my dealer. The order will take 4 to 6 weeks and probably a couple of weeks after that to get the install done. I'll post back here when it's done.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:37 AM   #5

Please keep us posted. I'd like to get rid of the jack knife and get a sofa sleeper.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHawk51 View Post
Please keep us posted. I'd like to get rid of the jack knife and get a sofa sleeper.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trifold estimate piece.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	29458

I've attached a copy of the order form if you'd care to get started before mine is complete. That number is a Jayco number.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #7

I have a 2016 29MV with the JackKnife Sofa/Bed but it is too short. Called Jayco and they gave me the part number for a 2017 29MV, Tri-Fold Sofa, Cappuccino color; 0278049. They said it is the same 61" width for both parts. Have not spoken yet with my local Jayco dealer to see if they can order and install it.
bbenavitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:21 PM   #8

The Jayco part # I quoted above was for a color called Chestnut. Good luck figuring out the difference.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #9

This is amazing. Somebody is doing a mod, advising on a product, spending money on something and I DON'T need/want !!!

This is a new feeling for me, I've never experienced it on this forum.

*we're not tall people in my family*

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
This is amazing. Somebody is doing a mod, advising on a product, spending money on something and I DON'T need/want !!!

This is a new feeling for me, I've never experienced it on this forum.

*we're not tall people in my family*
I should be so lucky. You've going to get me sucked into a five star tune before I know what hit me!
Old 05-18-2017, 10:08 AM   #11

Don,

I too are looking to replace my jack knife sofa with a tri-fold for my 2016 Greyhawk 29MV. It's been a couple of months since you ordered yours. Any luck that it has arrived? I am dying to find out how everything went and how you like it.

Butch C
Butch C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:40 PM   #12

Same here. Very uncomfortable.

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:21 PM   #13

Sofa has been installed. Sofa was $1173 and install was $262. Glad I hired out the install as it wasn't exactly easy-peasy. They had to modify the sofa to get it installed because, of course, the fastening locations were entirely different. It actually took them a couple of hours and some heavy metal work to get it in. At least now I have an extra sleeping area for the gkids whereas the original sofa is unusable as a bed (unless you're 4' tall).
Old 05-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #14

Don, Thanks for the follow up. Now I know what I am up against. I have already spoken to two dealers in my area and it is like I am talking a difference lanquage. They don't seem interested. Anyway I will get someone to do it. Thanks again,
Butch C
Butch C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:25 PM   #15

The RV joint I went to was a Jayco (and others) dealer (towables only). If you're where I think you are, you might have to end up in Salt Lake City to get it done. I'm thinking that's a big enough area to have a competent RV shop.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #16

How do you like the Greyhawk 29MV??? We are thinking about buying one and would love some feedback. Thanks
alexiandbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:25 PM   #17

I PMed you so this thread doesn't wander off track.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiandbeth View Post
How do you like the Greyhawk 29MV??? We are thinking about buying one and would love some feedback. Thanks
I love mine. Got it in Oct. 2017 and have not had any issues. We have used it now for 8 trips. Have about 4500 miles on it. Only thing I am having thoughts about is the Girrard tank less water heater while we are boon docking. Due to the amount of water you have to waste to get to the hot water. Otherwise it works great when on full hookups. All other aspects of the 29MV we love. It's just the right size to get into smaller campsites and just enough size for two. It also pulls our tow vehicle (Nissan Versa) like its not even there. Has plenty of power and drives and rides nice.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote