Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-23-2016, 05:43 PM   #1

31 DS 2016 Gray Hawk Drawer Problem

This is an FYI for my configuration only.

We returned home on a final leg of 250 miles of moderate bumpy roads. as we started to unpack the rear bedroom slide would only go out a few inches and cock and jam. we tried to open it several times and decided that the motor sounded like it wasn't getting enough power. we plugged in and finished unloading. an hour later it still would not retract.

I pulled the manuals and read up on it. then I crawled in on the mattress to the other side on the slide and looked in the small opening near the rear of the slide. On that side of the slide I have a cabinet and two small drawers, one of those drawers had opened and jammed the slide on that side. we could not see the problem from the switch side and it required crawling over the bedding to get to the problem.

I was not able to get the drawer to return until I used a couple pry bars and a piece of wood to keep from marking the drawer front. The drawer is built like a brick and did not suffer any damage at all. the steel slides on the other hand were bent in U-turns. My dealer said that I caused the damage so I had no claim under warranty. This however was not the end of the world, because instead of the dealer spending a week or more fixing it, I was forced to stop at a friendly Home center where I purchased a set of 12" drawer slides for $4.58 and installed them myself in less than an hour.

I was sweating bullets when I thought the slide system was broken, I ended up almost laughing that I escaped the grim reaper. Phew!
Hailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:14 PM   #2

Drawer problem

Hurray for you! We have the same unit & have only taken it out once. But what you experienced is something we will put on our checklist to watch for before putting out that slide. Thank goodness it was an inexpensive fix -
Bill
3fivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:32 AM   #3

We also had the problem once putting out the closet slide on our 31DS the first or second time we used it. It did not really affect the drawers, but pried the molding away from around the closet. I had to put it back and brad-nail it on.

We have checked those drawers every time since then!

If I had anything better to do I would be doing it :)
snowbird47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:04 AM   #4

Same thing happened to us on our third trip with our 2015 31DS. It bent the bottom drawer slider a little bit. and now we check to maked sure both drawers are in befor opening the closet slide. It's nice to know it's not just my rig with this issue. Cheers.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:29 PM   #5

Had the exact same thing happen in my 2017 Gray Hawk DS31, last weekend, no damage at least and l tried 4 times to open the slide..... did the same thing crawled over the bed and looked... drawer came open.....
GrayHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:17 AM   #6
TLC

Good to know!
Taking mine on maiden voyage next week.
Will make it a check-list item

Tim
Old 05-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #7

Great info to know. Thanks for the heads up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Larry Mac is offline   Reply With Quote