Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2017, 09:50 PM   #1

31FS: Do I need a 2nd AC unit

Well we are 2 weeks out from making a decision on a 25BH TT or 31FS. My question is, living in the deep south will I need a 2nd AC unit for the 31FS once we hit the dog days of late July and August? Since the 31FS has a 30amp plug does that mean that the AC units would alternate but not be able to function at the same time on shore power or the generator? Or is the standard unit plenty to keep the MH cool?
Thanks-
warjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:14 PM   #2

I looked at this one and it shows an option for 11K AC units Dual. I don't see what it has for the base AC unit. I would assume probably a 15K.

Keep in mind that an AC unit has a big power spike when the compressor starts up as the AC kicks on. Then power consumption drops quite a bit. If only 30A as you said, then they likely have them linked together so they don't kick in at the same time. They may run at the same time, just not start. For what it is worth, most of the dual AC units on big 5th wheels that have 50A service is the same where they are linked and don't cycle together. Not always but I have seen it. Sure dual 11Ks should be better than a single 15K. It is almost a $1,700 option. Probably won't change payments much so I would go for it. Never stayed in this unit so I can't comment on how well the single unit works also as I mentioned I don't even know how big it is.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:53 PM   #3

I live in south Texas and I am so glad I went with the 2nd AC option. The 15K AC in the main area was barely keeping the living area cool. The bedroom AC (13K) helped the main AC. Without the 2nd AC it would have been hot in the TT until after dark.

I would highly recommend the 2nd AC.
Drolaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:45 PM   #4

Get as many as they offer. Cheaper now than later. Even if you find you don't need it, you'll have a spare.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:23 AM   #5

31FS: Do I need a 2nd AC unit

I also would agree with previous post and get the second AC. I believe when you order the second AC it also ups the camper from 30amp service to 50amp service. That's how it worked with my current camper but could be different with motor homes.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by warjayco View Post
Well we are 2 weeks out from making a decision on a 25BH TT or 31FS. My question is, living in the deep south will I need a 2nd AC unit for the 31FS once we hit the dog days of late July and August? Since the 31FS has a 30amp plug does that mean that the AC units would alternate but not be able to function at the same time on shore power or the generator? Or is the standard unit plenty to keep the MH cool?
Thanks-
You will definitely want the 2nd AC on the 31FS. Instead of one 15k AC they install two 11k AC units. There is a recent thread where a guy has this setup and it is working well. He can power both ACs, fridge, microwave, etc. at the same time. There is a lot of bad info on here regarding two ACs in the new Grehawks and 30 amp service. Most don't understand that the ACs are sized differently than typical trailers.
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
I also would agree with previous post and get the second AC. I believe when you order the second AC it also ups the camper from 30amp service to 50amp service. That's how it worked with my current camper but could be different with motor homes.
Not on the Jayco Greyhawk. Jayco utilizes some power management feature where it will 'intelligently' shut down other items in the coach if the draw is too big for the 2nd AC. For instance your fridge will switch to propane if the ACs need the amps.

From what i understand this was a system Winnebago had for years but lost the rights to it recently.

No 50 amp in the Greyhawk.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:39 AM   #8

Better to have it and not need it than not have it and melt! Also, redundancy is your friend and if one unit fails on you, you still have a backup.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:30 AM   #9

Always go for the second A/C. It will be a 50 amp trailer now. In Louisiana it takes both units to cool my 32 BHDS in the heat of the day.
bigcuzauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #10

This is a great question. I just bought a 2017 31FS Greyhawk with the single A/C unit. While the single A/C unit works, I'd prefer 2. In the heat of the day in direct sunlight the single unit struggles a bit to keep the coach cool. Its cooler than being out side but it could be better.

Is it possible to upgrade to 2 units at a later date?
Spanks79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:21 AM   #11

We are going through a bad heat wave here in Western MT and my single A/C in my 2017 29MV is barely holding its own. This is with the bath, bedroom, and cockpit zoned off with drapes and curtains. It got up to 102 yesterday and my dining interior held at 72. Humidity is not an issue here so I can get away with it. The temp drops so dramatically in the evening I can turn it off. Any place with humidity, get the 2nd unit, if nothing else for the dog.
leeinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #12

We have 32ft Eagle and struggled to decide on a 2nd A/C unit too. I am in South Ga and the heat and humidity are ridiculous. Anyway we have held off from the 2nd unit, but did some things in the TT that have really helped. Someone suggested that silver bubble insulation and I put it in all of the non-opening windows as well as the windows that are in direct sunlight. We also cover the sky-light during the day and filled the two air vents with the square foam covers. On a 95 degree day 105 heat index we maintain around 79 inside. Without it was around 85.
tee-bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:14 PM   #13

Yes yes and yes. You'll need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hivoltage98 is offline   Reply With Quote