Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2017, 04:52 AM   #1

3400 Miles to Home.

Being in the army presents great opportunities to travel. Well we are moving from Augusta GA to Tacoma WA driving from Augusta to Hoover Dam and then north. Should be an interesting drive!! Leaving Augusta 27th of Jan. Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2017, 07:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo1083 View Post
Being in the army presents great opportunities to travel. Well we are moving from Augusta GA to Tacoma WA driving from Augusta to Hoover Dam and then north. Should be an interesting drive!! Leaving Augusta 27th of Jan. Any tips?

Yes! enjoy every bit of your trip! and thank you for serving.
{C 4 41FA 69-71}
Old 01-04-2017, 07:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinforthefinish View Post
and thank you for serving.

{C 4 41FA 69-71}

You are very welcome. It's my pleasure. Although I think serving is the easy part of this adventure!!!

Old 01-04-2017, 07:53 AM   #4

I served at Ft Gordon twice; my original plans were to retire there one day (that didn't work).

Late 73- mid 75
late 78- early 80.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:01 AM   #5

USA 69/70 Radio Com school before shipping out to Nato Base in Europe. Enjoy the trip. Could be some fun driving thru the mountains. Watch the weather and safe travels.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:06 AM   #6

Thanks for your service. How long do you have to get there? To avoid potential bad traveling weather a southern route would be best.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Thanks for your service. How long do you have to get there? To avoid potential bad traveling weather a southern route would be best.

Agreed 100%. They wanted me to go through Dakotas. I was willing to do that hence our route. We get 8 days but we are taking 10 or so to enjoy Grand Canyon and Hoover / Lake.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Agreed 100%. They wanted me to go through Dakotas. I was willing to do that hence our route. We get 8 days but we are taking 10 or so to enjoy Grand Canyon and Hoover / Lake.
I don't know who 'they' are and I'm glad you resisted! There is a serious potential for weather problems that far north. At the very least, one storm could easily hold you up for a day or two. They can, and do, shut down sections of the expressways at times. And your plans (not to mention people and your vehicle) could really suffer if you slide off the road!

It would be best to take I-10 as far as Phoenix, AZ. Then head north. That way you'll avoid the potential for winter weather hazards for most of your trip and avoid crossing the Northern Rocky Mountains in the winter. Also, many heavy snow storms (not all) come down on the east side of the Rocky Mountains and travel west to east. IMO, you'll be in a better position to avoid bad winter weather by traveling west to Phoenix and then north as opposed to heading north early and then traveling west.

Also, the Grand Canyon elevation is roughly 7,000ft. You may encounter snowy weather at those elevations even with just cloudy weather at lower elevations. Check the weather reports for the Grand Canyon Village. ("Caution: South Rim roads are snow-packed and icy in places from recent storms." is the current report.)

Also, be prepared for the 'cold' portion of your trip. You will encounter miles of cold, lonely roads. And you CAN'T rely on a cell phone connection to get you out of trouble.

Don't get me wrong; it's a great trip, it's just that winter is a lousy time of the year to drive it.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I don't know who 'they' are and I'm glad you resisted! There is a serious potential for weather problems that far north. At the very least, one storm could easily hold you up for a day or two. They can, and do, shut down sections of the expressways at times. And your plans (not to mention people and your vehicle) could really suffer if you slide off the road!

It would be best to take I-10 as far as Phoenix, AZ. Then head north. That way you'll avoid the potential for winter weather hazards for most of your trip and avoid crossing the Northern Rocky Mountains in the winter. Also, many heavy snow storms (not all) come down on the east side of the Rocky Mountains and travel west to east. IMO, you'll be in a better position to avoid bad winter weather by traveling west to Phoenix and then north as opposed to heading north early and then traveling west.

Also, the Grand Canyon elevation is roughly 7,000ft. You may encounter snowy weather at those elevations even with just cloudy weather at lower elevations. Check the weather reports for the Grand Canyon Village. ("Caution: South Rim roads are snow-packed and icy in places from recent storms." is the current report.)

Also, be prepared for the 'cold' portion of your trip. You will encounter miles of cold, lonely roads. And you CAN'T rely on a cell phone connection to get you out of trouble.

Don't get me wrong; it's a great trip, it's just that winter is a lousy time of the year to drive it.
X2 ^^^ Also don't forget to winterize your RV before heading to Grand Canyon or other colder areas. It sounds like a fun trip! Thanks for your service and happy camping.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #10

https://roadtrippers.com/map?a2=t!15...91057913528677

That is the route I was going to take. If you're saying take I10, at which point should I head that way? I was going to take this trip de-winterized so we could stay in it along the way. I do have the option for hotels, but it seems silly to use the hotels when I have this behemoth.

Please advise?
timbo1083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:53 AM   #11

It could be freezing in the high desert north of Las Vegas. To avoid colder climates (besides the Grand Canyon), get on the I-15 south from Las Vegas and go up to Barstow where you can catch Highway 58 west to Interstate 5 (thus avoiding LA). You may hit cold weather in the high desert and at the Oregon/California border and points north. I've done the drive up the I-5 from LA in December and there was cold weather and snow storms in all the mountains from Lake Shasta and north.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23MB Elite
Previous RV's, 1988 33-foot Barth Class A and 1994 Flagstaff Pop-Up
Desert RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:02 AM   #12

I-40 through Amarillo will have a good chance of freezing temps too.
If you decide on I-20, let me know. I'll hook ya up with a boondocking spot 1/2 day west of Dallas.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:08 AM   #13

Okay adjusting my trip now. Will give you guys another link soon. I really appreciate all this. Its going to be a long drive, and I do wish for it in the summer, but life is exciting sometimes
Old 01-04-2017, 10:31 AM   #14

https://roadtrippers.com/map?a2=p!1,...40950334408761

Okay what about this one. Grand Canyon has to happen. I took your advice and went for I5 straight up though. Please advise. *trying to not winterize* is it possible without damage?
Old 01-04-2017, 10:36 AM   #15

Quote:
https://roadtrippers.com/map?a2=t!15...91057913528677
That is the route I was going to take. If you're saying take I10, at which point should I head that way? I was going to take this trip de-winterized so we could stay in it along the way. I do have the option for hotels, but it seems silly to use the hotels when I have this behemoth.
Please advise?
If I was making that trip with my family and a trailer, I'd head to I-10 from Atlanta and plan to stay in the trailer all the way to Phoenix. I'd plan on winterizing the trailer in Phoenix and staying in motels the rest of the way. But after arriving in Phoenix, I'd check the 10 day forecast for cities along my route north of Phoenix and maybe things would be warm enough to not winterize the trailer and use it for the remainder of the trip.

(Note: I see new posts and that you are altering your route so I'll post this now.)
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
Old 01-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #16

Our last PCS in the RV was the best. Two pieces of advice: Start each day early (07 or 0800'ish) so you can stop driving by 1400'ish. This will allow you to really enjoy the locations you visit. By the way, there are tons of base (USA, USAF, USN) campgrounds along your route. Second plan to take additional leave so you have the flexibility to take extra time at the places that spark interest. We unexpectedly extended at three locations that we originally only planned for an overnight. We always joke that a PCS is a government sponsored vacation; we HAVE to move so you my as well enjoy the trip. Safe travels!

Full timers but still active duty AF, anxiously awaiting retirement travels where I have been told everyday is a Saturday
Old 01-04-2017, 11:00 AM   #17

Fully agree on traveling early in the day.
Wintertime, central time zone.
The sun is going to be right in your eyes from 5:00pm till it sets, around 6:15.
Revised route looks good.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:30 PM   #18

You are getting great advice. I looked at your revised itinerary - looks good except for I'd stay as far south as long as I could ! and go to Phoenix and then head north to the GC. You did good to stay out of Vegas too so I hope you don't succumb to it's lure. I-15 through Vegas is being reconfigured and can be a nightmare (depending on weather, time of day, etc.).

Also, I'd do as so many have suggested and spend time before the trip on Google Earth scoping out stops. You know how far you can go on a tank of gas and so can estimate where you will need to fill up. California doesn't have those nice little signs on the side of the freeway (the ones that say there is xx restaurant or xx gas or xx hotel at the next exit) and so you don't see the big signs until you are whizzing by (well, I don't anyway - you will have a co-pilot who can be checking things out so maybe not a concern).
Max & Mocha May - Chesapeake Bay Retrievers
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:14 PM   #19

Another factoid or two:
You can no longer drive on top of Hoover Dam. There is now a bridge (Mike O'Callaghan-Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge). I am not sure if there are views of the dam from the bridge... I was too busy driving when we crossed it! There are parking areas for viewing areas to see the dam, but you'll have to check to see if they accommodate trailers.

MzLiz mentioned the lack of signage in CA. A book called 'The Next Exit' can help solve that.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:46 PM   #20

I agree stay off of I 40 as long as possible, it's often closed east of Flagstaff in the winter. Take I 10 to Phoenix, than I 17 north to the grand canyon, but check weather. That road had a ton of snow a few days ago and chains were required. If you bypass the grand canyon, you can take route 60 from Phoenix to Kingman and than north on 93 to Hoover Damn and Vegas.

Weather is always going to be an issue at the higher elevations. Phoenix is about 1300 feet while Flagstaff is 6000 and grand canyon higher. Because your gaining elevation from Phoenix north you need to keep an eye on weather forecasts, they can change rapidly. I would not head north in New Mexico because you will driving in higher elevations and more potential for ice and snow.

Good Luck and as others said, cell phone service will be spotty out west, keep your fuel tank full, you don't want to get caught with low fuel in a cold situation and no cell service.

From Vegas you can head northwest to Reno (watch weather forecasts) and then cross over the mountains and north to Washington.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote