Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2016, 04:59 PM   #1

4 prong flat connector

My 2015 Seneca is in the shop. I have a new toad I want to wire for lights. Does anyone know the color code, and where each color goes for each connection? Ground is white, then the 3 connections for left - right - tail/brakes. Thanks, I'd like to get my toad wired before I pick up my Seneca.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #2

If its a 4 flat, the one I have is

White: Ground
Brown: Tail/markers
Yellow: Left
Green: Right
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 05:53 PM   #3

Mwade, if you're going to wire for lights why not use one of the wiring kits that plugs into the existing taillight wiring. Or, perhaps I misunderstand.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwade View Post
My 2015 Seneca is in the shop. I have a new toad I want to wire for lights. Does anyone know the color code, and where each color goes for each connection? Ground is white, then the 3 connections for left - right - tail/brakes. Thanks, I'd like to get my toad wired before I pick up my Seneca.
Have you considered adding a charge line to your toad to keep the battery up while towing? Depending on your toad, you may or may not have some kind of continuous draw on the vehicle even while towing. Plus if you use some type to toad brake most of them also consume power from the toad battery.

You have battery power at the Seneca plug, you just need more than a 4-pole connection to the toad to use it. I use a 6-pole round connector at the vehicle end to feed my toads.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:04 PM   #5

I don't like using the toad wireing for tail lights. I run everything separate. If something breaks, it's east to fix,mans I still have my toad lights.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:28 PM   #6

I have two toads, my Focus has completely separate tail/brake lights installed in the Ford rear lights, so there is no direct connection between the MH and Focus factory lighting system. But on my Explorer I do have Roadmaster diodes to operate the Ford lights, it has been 100% reliable. Have had 2 prior toads with diodes and never had a single issue with either one. Installed everything myself so I know it was done securely and correctly.

My Explorer has to be towed with the keyless ignition in the "Accessory" mode which means there is continuous power consumption. Add in the Roadmaster EvenBrake supplemental brake system power draw, and a charge line becomes mandatory. While the Focus is towed with all power off, hilly country tends to use the EvenBrake quite a bit, so again a charge line means never having to worry about it starting at the end of the driving day or the EvenBrake shutting down en route due to low voltage.

Just wanted to point out that a charge line can give you peace of mind that your toad battery will be charged at the conclusion of your driving day.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote