Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #1

Lightbulb A more somber note

All, as travelers, we will find ourselves outside of our home area often. If something happens to you or a loved one, then your vacation is basically over, but some of the drama does not stop there... Things which I have blissfully ignored until recently, 1- how will your rig get back home, can your partner drive it? 2- do you have some sort of coverage that will allow for your medical transportation to your home area?

My vacation became radically altered hours after my inlaws met us in Niagara Falls when something happened, while in Canada. Fortunately we were in the city and care was available rapidly. Getting him home is where we got a huge shock as a medical transport from Buffalo to OshKosh was originally quoted at $20k. Through friends that work in the medical transport industry we found a cheaper provider, but still coming up with over $13k is not something most can do readily.

So talk to your partner's get training on how to drive the motorhome, and review your policies to ensure you have some sort of coverage for such an event.

In our case my mother in law did not know nor did she care to know how to drive a truck with a 37' fifthwheel, but luckily we were able to cover that base for them, allowing her to travel with her husband, While I drove their rig and my wife drove our rig.

There are options under Good Sam, FMCA, and a few dedicated providers(MASA & SkyMed), so do your research on the topic and make an informed decision. A little insurance goes a long way to making a stressful situation even more stressful later.
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #2

We had an incident a while back that incapacitated me insofar as hooking up and driving our rig home. Luckily, I was still able to speak, and didn't need a hospital (mild back injury), so DW stepped up to the plate and got us home. Now we know she can do it if we need her to. She still doesn't tow on the regular, but I'm more comfortable knowing she can do it if she's called to.

As far as medical transport, that's not something I had ever thought about. I guess I'll look into this and see what can be done.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:10 PM   #3

I guess you only know how good a policy is if you use it but I am pretty sure my premium Coach net roadside assistance package includes medical transport because I was pleasantly surprised to see that there.
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:28 PM   #4

It is for that exact unforseen reason which my DW does on occasion prep, hook up, and drive our TV and TT both to and from our locations include backing into sites and unhooking and setting up. My 20 year old son does it too. He loves to do it.
In the batters box is my 15 year old daughter (who has had her learners permit here in Alaska since she was 14), learning how to drive a stick and how to hitch and unhitch and back up with a trailer as well (she is learning on the tilt/flatbed trailer we use for the snowmachine).
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 01:14 PM   #5

Speaking to the women who like the passenger seat (being one myself) - know that you CAN drive these RV's... ANY of them! If you have a driver's license, and know how to drive a car, you can drive the RV. There is no physical reason why men can drive something women can't. If it's a mental block, in an emergency, you just need to forget it and get the job done.

At home, I drive our F350 more than my husband (when not towing). When towing our 34ft fifth wheel, I enjoy being the passenger, but make sure I drive at least once a year, just so I remember how it's done (a good reminder on why I don't nag the driver about the little things, too!

I find switching up duties is a good lesson on how to help the other person doing "your" job, too... knowing how to back up a trailer makes you better at being the guide - and trying to guide in a driver once and a while can remind you to be nicer on your guide when you take the wheel, too!

We're moving into a big Seneca here, soon... and I was the one that drove it during the test drive - because my comfort behind the wheel was one of the reasons for the change.

Just because some women don't WANT to drive, doesn't mean we shouldn't know HOW... and again, there's no reason why we CAN'T... as long as we can reach the pedals.

Good for you NVGun40! I have one of the few manual transmission cars in our circle of friends, now. I've offered to teach all my friends' daughters how to drive a stick... in case they find themselves with a boyfriend who drinks too much and refuses to leave his fancy sports car behind (as ONE example... there are many more reasons to learn).
crumgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #6

As far as driving goes, yes my DW can drive my truck with our trailer combo, and does short stints with it a few times each year, mostly to pick me up at work so we can hit the road directly. BTW - nothing really sexist here; she owns the little turbocharged sports car with the stick and lets me drive that if a beg and whine (wine) enough. She doesn't really like driving anything as big and slow as my truck.

She also knows how to do the hitching if need be, but I should probably suggest more practice. So far she has refused backing - maybe that's a discussion for this year.

As for Health Insurance, I have an annual family travel health policy that covers multiple trips of under 21 days each per year. Travel health coverage is something that most Canadians are aware of, because every year we hear of people having to declare bankruptcy after becoming sick in the US without coverage. US healthcare is seriously expensive.
The only time I've actually used travel health insurance was in Mexico, but probably didn't need it there. A 3 night hospital stay (nice, private hospital) was less expensive per night than our hotel accommodations.
I'll need different coverage when we start snowbirding for longer periods, but I will be sure to have insurance!
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVGun40 View Post
It is for that exact unforseen reason which my DW does on occasion prep, hook up, and drive our TV and TT both to and from our locations include backing into sites and unhooking and setting up. My 20 year old son does it too. He loves to do it.
In the batters box is my 15 year old daughter (who has had her learners permit here in Alaska since she was 14), learning how to drive a stick and how to hitch and unhitch and back up with a trailer as well (she is learning on the tilt/flatbed trailer we use for the snowmachine).
That's Awesome NVGun.......

I taught both my daughter's how to drive stick when they learned to drive.
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:10 PM   #8
Site Team

We have Good Sam "Travel Assist" insurance. They will return your RV back to where you keep it, they trans port the other members of the trip back home...

We have had this plan for a few years now. Have not had to use it yet, but to me it is well worth the $$

Don
Attached Thumbnails
MISC - GoodSam - Travel Assist Plan.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:14 PM   #9
Site Team

We camp with a great group of friends and we look out for each other. We had an incident a few years back when one of our friends had a stroke. My wife drove our truck and camper home and I drove the friends truck and travel trailer.

Another time another friend had a heart attack and me and another couple came back to the campground in NC and I drove his truck and fifth wheel home for him. He recovered in a hospital and is back doing his own driving again.

My wife is not much on backing but she alternates driving when we travel and knows how to hook/ unhook and do most of the routine things to do with breaking camp.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote