Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
Lightbulb A more somber note

All, as travelers, we will find ourselves outside of our home area often. If something happens to you or a loved one, then your vacation is basically over, but some of the drama does not stop there... Things which I have blissfully ignored until recently, 1- how will your rig get back home, can your partner drive it? 2- do you have some sort of coverage that will allow for your medical transportation to your home area?

My vacation became radically altered hours after my inlaws met us in Niagara Falls when something happened, while in Canada. Fortunately we were in the city and care was available rapidly. Getting him home is where we got a huge shock as a medical transport from Buffalo to OshKosh was originally quoted at $20k. Through friends that work in the medical transport industry we found a cheaper provider, but still coming up with over $13k is not something most can do readily.

So talk to your partner's get training on how to drive the motorhome, and review your policies to ensure you have some sort of coverage for such an event.

In our case my mother in law did not know nor did she care to know how to drive a truck with a 37' fifthwheel, but luckily we were able to cover that base for them, allowing her to travel with her husband, While I drove their rig and my wife drove our rig.

There are options under Good Sam, FMCA, and a few dedicated providers(MASA & SkyMed), so do your research on the topic and make an informed decision. A little insurance goes a long way to making a stressful situation even more stressful later.

Carl & Dawn
2015 Greyhawk 31FS
2015 Ford Transit Connect (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #2
We had an incident a while back that incapacitated me insofar as hooking up and driving our rig home. Luckily, I was still able to speak, and didn't need a hospital (mild back injury), so DW stepped up to the plate and got us home. Now we know she can do it if we need her to. She still doesn't tow on the regular, but I'm more comfortable knowing she can do it if she's called to.

As far as medical transport, that's not something I had ever thought about. I guess I'll look into this and see what can be done.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:10 PM   #3
I guess you only know how good a policy is if you use it but I am pretty sure my premium Coach net roadside assistance package includes medical transport because I was pleasantly surprised to see that there.
Vaneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 07:28 PM   #4
It is for that exact unforseen reason which my DW does on occasion prep, hook up, and drive our TV and TT both to and from our locations include backing into sites and unhooking and setting up. My 20 year old son does it too. He loves to do it.
In the batters box is my 15 year old daughter (who has had her learners permit here in Alaska since she was 14), learning how to drive a stick and how to hitch and unhitch and back up with a trailer as well (she is learning on the tilt/flatbed trailer we use for the snowmachine).
2015 White Hawk 25BHS Glacier Package
2004 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.7 Hemi, 5Spd Manual
2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Northface tent/Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH
Lance Cabover/Prowler TT/WildernessTT/Tiltin Hiltin Cabover/Starcraft popup
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote