Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #1

About to take the plunge on a Greyhawk FS31 - Few Questions

We are looking at the FS31 Greyhawk. We've been camping in a 5ver for the past 5 years were thinking of upgrading to another 5ver but now thinking the Class C would be more convenient. Just about ready to make the deal. Trying to decide if I should order with options I think I would like or take the one we've been looking at so I have a few questions about options to see what others think.

The unit does not have the 400w inverter. Is this something that I should want / need?

The unit does not have the in motion satellite but is Satelite prep for wall / roof. I'm planning to let the dealer install a wineguard minimax in motion. Since it is already prepped will they have to run any cables or just mount the unit to the roof? We currently have DirectTv - any advice / recommendations on this choice of Satelite? Is this an install that I could do myself?

The unit does not have the on demand water heater. The on demand sounds nice but not sure that it need it. Our 5ver has 6 gallon water heater that has worked well for us but curious about how well others are liking the on demand.

This unit does not have the bunk dvd players. We think that we would like to have this option. I'm thinking it would be cheaper to buy some and install myself. Has anyone added them to their unit themselves?

This unit does not have the leveling system. I see that it can be ordered with them or they can be added. I've not seen may Class C's with them, It is an expensive option so I'm curious if it is worth it.

I appreciate any advice or suggestions that you may have. Please feel to mention any other items that I should look for.

Thanks.....
kpmdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmdavis View Post
We are looking at the FS31 Greyhawk. We've been camping in a 5ver for the past 5 years were thinking of upgrading to another 5ver but now thinking the Class C would be more convenient. Just about ready to make the deal. Trying to decide if I should order with options I think I would like or take the one we've been looking at so I have a few questions about options to see what others think.

The unit does not have the 400w inverter. Is this something that I should want / need?

Thanks.....
Are you sure its a 400w or is it a miss print. A 400w inverter is small and would not run very much.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #3

Smile

They are 400 watt and wired to provide 110V to only the front TV.
001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #4

Check your PM's for two responses.
001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #5

the 400 watt inverter is what i have and it only runs the outlet at the fwd TV. the problem with this is that there is an automatic shut-off that cuts power to it with ignition on. I dont plan on watching TV while driving but it is handy for using other things. Luckily, you can bypass it with some wire cutters and caps. i suppose if you are boondocking you would want a bigger inverter, but for my usage, 400watts is plenty.
I have the 6gal water heater and have not had any issues even in the shower.
i dont have satellite but i would assume "sat prepped" means wiring is installed but you best verify that.
i have the DVD players already installed and they make a big difference with the grandkids, i'm sure you could install them yourself, but it would be a pain if the wiring is not there (i'm naturally lazy).
i just had the HWH levelers installed aftermarket for $4500. From what i understand this system is better than the factory offered system
check the bedroom TV cabinet hinge and latches, mine was droopy and would constantly open while driving until i installed a latch.
I had an electrical issue caused by a main bundle being crushed between the coach and chassis but i believe this was an isolated incident but it was very difficult to troubleshoot and find. it would cause multiple problems that would change as different wires chafed together while driving.

John
2011 31FS
johnd1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:10 AM   #6

As for the levelers, we have camped at more then 30 different campgrounds or NASCAR events and have not had problems being level. We do carry those orange plastic levelers and have only had to use two at most to get level. So I would wait on installing the levelers and see if you need them depending on where you camp.
We had our dealers add 3 Maxx Air Vents. If the slides do not have awnings, I would recommend have them added too.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #7

Thanks for the great comments as well as the private messages with information regarding my questions. Visited the dealer yesterday, ended up paying a deposit on the unit they had in stock instead of ordering. Will pick it up next Friday. I felt they made me a deal worth passing on a few of the options I was considering/questioning. After searching on the internet I found some flip down DVD players that operate on 12v for around $129.00 each, will just need to figure how to get the 12v power to them but don't think that will be too difficult. I'm having the dealer install the Wineguard MiniMax in-motion satellite, which seems to be the same as what the factory uses. I figured that I could install an inverter for the TV if needed but in the beginning I was thinking of just running the generator to power the TV / Satelite while traveling, being a newbie the only disadvantage that I see would be extra fuel consumption, if there is anything else that I should be concerned with running the generator while traveling please feel free to bring it to my attention. Also got some good comments on the leveling system, I think the leveling system would be nice but at this point I will try a few trips to see how it goes then decide if I want to add that later, if so sounds like a good trip to visit one of the leveling manufactures and let them do the install.

Thanks again for all the help and willingness to share, this is a great forum.....
kpmdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #8

Inspection of your new unit

Congratulation you new Greyhawk!!!!!! One thing to point out is how far are you from the dealer? If you have to travel far then look the unit over closely, make sure everything works. You might even want to stay in it over night at the dealer if they will let you, running everything and making a list of questions for the dealer.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #9

the vent covers are a great idea. i installed then on both vents right away.
johnd1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #10

With Directv satellite, you cannot get in motion Hi def signal. I was told it was a problem with their receivers. I don't find it a problem on the small TVs.
09Jayco29D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:38 AM   #11

I am one month into my Greyhawk 31FS. I love it. I do have the auto level system, but as a woman traveling by myself most of the time I felt I needed that. No way was I going to crawl around trying to level it. My only issue is the GPS isn't updated and she gets me going in circles sometimes. Have a call into the dealer. I did spend a week near my dealer to make sure there are no kinks. Best of luck to you!
LeilaKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:24 AM   #12

Mine is out of date too. I had to replace the unit which is located behind the right kick panel in front of the passenger seat. It is double stick taped to the side wall up under the dash. It has a USB connection on it and I am assuming you have to download an update to a memory stick or something to that effect to do an update. I have not gotten into it that much yet..
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote