Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #1

Adjusted the Rearview Camera

Spent an hour playiing with the rear view camera today. I was having trouble getting the view high enough to see the horizon behind me. For me the camera is more of a driving aid then a parking aid. I use it as a replacement for the rearview mirror and therefore wanted to be able to see the horizon behind me, not the front bumper of my toad.

The problem was the camera was so tight against the rear of the mounting bracket that I could not roatate it to a suitable position. When the center screw was properly positioned the nut on the back of the camera contacted the bracket and prevented pivoting. I was in the process of contemplating grinding an edge of the bolt to give it the room when the brain wave photgraphed below came to me.

The camera no longer pivots... But it still slides within the groove and I was able to achieve the desired camera angle and can now have a clear view of the fool tailgating behind me
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:45 PM   #2

Don't you sometimes even wish a rear-facing light and message would come on when you had the rearview camera selected to let the bumper-riders know "I'm watching you"! Can't speculate on whether it would change their behavior or not, but it would be interesting to see!

I am stunned periodically to see how close some follow (when I don't have my toad back there), obviously not able to see around me whatsoever and therefore oblivious to what is coming on the road!
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:16 AM   #3

So you've set it up that the camera is on when you are not in reverse? Is that a normal option?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:22 AM   #4

No, my camera display defaults to the backup camera whenever I am in reverse. But I can view it any other time I want by choosing that input on my Clarion radio. I can still listen to a CD or Sirius, it just means my screen displays the camera image. Helpful to check on toad (or tailgaters when no toad!).
Old 08-17-2015, 08:30 AM   #5

To better explain, my rearview camera image can be chosen from the radio menu just like the navigation, CD, Sirius, AM/FM, etc. The feed from camera is always there, just not displayed unless I select it, or the MH is in reverse. Whenever it is in reverse, the camera image is the only thing that shows, you cannot view anything else until you shift out of reverse, then it goes back to wherever it was last.

I like the way it works, others may not.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:33 AM   #6

That sounds fantastic, thanks!
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #7

Had the same problem. If you turn the bracket upside down you can aim it the way you want. That's what I did when I mounted mine.

Rick
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
Rjhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:53 PM   #8

Play with your settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
So you've set it up that the camera is on when you are not in reverse? Is that a normal option?
My rig is a 2015 with the Jenssen Radio. I had to make some adjustments in the stereo settings to be able to watch the video on demand. One of the sacrifices was to turn off the cameras audio feature, no big deal to me as my wife screams STOP just as loudly with the camera on as she did without it. But as noted above now anytime I want the video, which is all the time, I hit the menu button and then select camera and it is on.

One negative is you lose the rear feed as soon as you put on a turn indicator, which is generally the exact moment I want to be able to see what is coming up behind me. I am seriously comtemplating disabling the side view cameras... They are really a marketing gimmick, as they provide the exact same view the mirrors do.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:06 PM   #9

My '14 Seneca doesn't have camera audio, don't believe I even miss it!

I share the opinion regarding the side cameras, they are slow to activate and the picture isn't as large or clear as what I can see in the mirrors! I too will probably disconnect them in the near future.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:58 PM   #10

I can't for the life of me figure out why you would turn your head away from your mirrors which when used properly are displaying two different angles giving you a complete view of the side of your rig... To look at a 6 inch video screen which displays only one of those two angles. At least on the passenger side it might simply be part of your "visual sweep" as you move from eyes forward, to the mirrors and back again... But to use the camera on the driver side your are moving your eyes about 90 degrees away from where you should be looking.

The side mirrors to me are one of those Tech cases where just because you can do something doesn't mean you should!!!

The rearview is a different story. Tech here is clearly an advantage. How many times have you been preparing to make a lane change and some twit in a Miata comes screaming up directly behind you and moves at the last second into the lane you were just about to merge with. If your camera is running, you see that twit coming and can hold off on the lane change. Without it you are left with the quick jerk back into your original lane to avoid the colllison he almost caused.

Just sitting here typing has me even more convinced to disconnect the side cameras... Guess I know what the next "Mod" is

On a Tech side note - I discovered today... Even thought the Jessen has a Bluetooth option that connects with my phone and dowloads my contacts... There is not an microphone inside the cabin... I can hear the voice of a person calling but they cannot hear me... So much for hands free calling.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
I can't for the life of me figure out why you would turn your head away from your mirrors which when used properly are displaying two different angles giving you a complete view of the side of your rig... To look at a 6 inch video screen which displays only one of those two angles. At least on the passenger side it might simply be part of your "visual sweep" as you move from eyes forward, to the mirrors and back again... But to use the camera on the driver side your are moving your eyes about 90 degrees away from where you should be looking.

The side mirrors to me are one of those Tech cases where just because you can do something doesn't mean you should!!!

The rearview is a different story. Tech here is clearly an advantage. How many times have you been preparing to make a lane change and some twit in a Miata comes screaming up directly behind you and moves at the last second into the lane you were just about to merge with. If your camera is running, you see that twit coming and can hold off on the lane change. Without it you are left with the quick jerk back into your original lane to avoid the colllison he almost caused.

Just sitting here typing has me even more convinced to disconnect the side cameras... Guess I know what the next "Mod" is

On a Tech side note - I discovered today... Even thought the Jessen has a Bluetooth option that connects with my phone and dowloads my contacts... There is not an microphone inside the cabin... I can hear the voice of a person calling but they cannot hear me... So much for hands free calling.
X2 on the mirror/camera issue. I drove fire trucks for 33 years, HAD to learn to use mirrors effectively!

Regarding the Bluetooth, I wonder if something was missed with your audio install or some setup option is incorrect? Although my rig is a 2014 with the Clarion, it did come with a mic installed in the head unit of the radio. It also came with a remote mic and adapter cord shipped loose in the mountain of literature and other "extras". To use the external mic I would have to install and then change a menu option to disable the standard mic. But my phone Bluetooth works reasonably well with the stock mic, even at highway speeds. I'm going to leave it alone for now.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:43 AM   #12

My 29MV came with the microphone in the "accessories" blue bag. I complained to the dealer and they installed it. Not the first one they had done either!
The only time I use the side cameras is when I am backing the rig up.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:03 AM   #13

Mine is the same way but I believe there is a microphone with the packet that came w the radio
Old 10-26-2015, 08:57 PM   #14

Where are the side cameras mounted?
Toad- 2015 Ford Edge
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:09 PM   #15

The camera lens is through the convex mirrors of the side view mirror setup.
sfergie631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 04:17 AM   #16

Bluetooth Microphone

Quote:

Griswald One, Your dealer is to install your bluetooth microphone for you. I found out as you, after picking up our Greyhawk up, that it was not connected. Found it in the blue Jayco bag in the coach. Some of these units left the factory without the microphone connected.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:34 PM   #17

Quote:
There is not an microphone inside the cabin... I can hear the voice of a person calling but they cannot hear me... So much for hands free calling.
If this is the case then you should return to the dealer because they "forgot" to install it. It most certainly should be there...
mcsenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:11 AM   #18

Griswald, you were SUPPOSED to get a mic with the unit... some dealers installed, and some dealers just left them in the little box that they came in.

Make the dealer install it...
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 01:16 PM   #19

Thanks for the info on the Mic. I will add it to the list of dealer work to be done... It is already at the shop with a nine item list.... I really am hoping to get past this Camp/Repair cycle we have been in!

Old 02-26-2016, 01:07 PM   #20

Anyone know of a way to turn on the rearview camera when not in reverse on a 2015 26XD? Want to be able to check on the toad with it. Thanks.
RogerP is offline   Reply With Quote