Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #1

Advice on older and larger Jayco

Hey all-

First: My brother is contemplating the purchase of a 1999 Jayco Designer 3230K 32-foot class C with 67k miles.

I seem to remember reading...years ago....that class C's which were too long - like more than 28 feet, as I remember - could be problematic. Because their chassis weren't strong enough to handle all that weight. Or, something like that.

Anyway, I'd like some feedback from those of you with more class C knowledge and experience that I have. What would you think of a coach like this? Would you have concerns about it? Not in terms of how well it's been maintained, but whether it has proven itself to be a less-than-reliable *design*, primarily because of its length.

Second, this coach's floorplan has a bewildering trait: seemingly ZERO countertop space for making meals! The sink is on the left corner, the stove is on the right, and there appears to be NO space between them for working! Take a look at the floorplan I've attached. Am I reading this right? What were the designers thinking? Have some of you with similar coaches found a solution?

Thanks much!

dave
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2014-04-09 at 3.49.55 PM.jpg  
dshinnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #2

Advice on older and larger Jayco

I have a 1999 283G (28'). No issues about weight. As for counter top space, you have to utilize the dinette table top if you don't get a cover to set over the kitchen sink.

Jeff and Deidra
2015 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate
2014 Heartland Cyclone 3110 Toyhauler
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
jeffdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #3

We had an 01 and had no issues over a 7 year period and 40,000+ miles. As to the counter as Jeffdee said you need a sink cover or use an electric fry-pan, crock-pot and single elec burner which is what we did. Never used the stove top or the oven.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #4

Guessing it is a Ford chassis. Check the skid brackets under the rear frame rails for distortion if the prior owner did not add skid wheels.

The V-10 6.8 is a good engine. If I had it i would consider Firestone Ride Rite supplemental air bags on the rear.

Just my 2 cents worth.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #5

We have a 1999 31 foot Designer...no issues with chassis. As for counterspace, we put a cutting board on the stove cover and chop away. Do most of our cooking outside...
Chula Vista, CA
onebud1 is offline   Reply With Quote