Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2017, 07:22 PM   #1

air conditioner doesn't cool

I have a 2017, 23XM. The air conditioning doesn't get more than slightly cool. I put the thermostat to 55 and fan to auto low. All vents are open and filters are clean. Fan runs continuously; air is never more than cool. Then, when I shut it off, water and ice run down the outsides and sometimes from the ceiling unit inside.

Anyone have this trouble with their air conditioning?
DLee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:57 PM   #2

sounds like to me it is low on Freon, may have a slow leak in the system
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLee3 View Post
snip... when I shut it off, water and ice run down the outsides and sometimes from the ceiling unit inside.
Anyone have this trouble with their air conditioning?
I don't know much about air conditioners, but those symptoms seem to be frozen air conditioner coils.

Have you tried setting the thermostat for something warmer, say 70*F?

It seems the next step would be to get the dealer involved to rule out low freon or venting problems with the unit.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #4

Could very well be low on refrigerant. Try running the fan on high. If the airflow is
too slow it can cause the evaporator to freeze up. All HVAC units run the fan on high speed in cooling. I'm an HVAC tech so if I can help let me know.

2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins
2016 Jayco Jay Flight Elite 27BHS
Sunflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 05:38 AM   #5

x2 on turning fan on high and leave it on high to keep the unit from freezing up. If AC still doesn't get colder, then need some freon.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:17 AM   #6

X-3 Put the fan on high.

In high humidity fan should be on high or coils will freeze.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:19 AM   #7

As others said. Keep the fan on high. Then don't drop the temp below 68. Without looking at it I would say the coils iced over.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:52 AM   #8

Thank you to all who replied. I have, indeed, been in high humidity areas of late. I shall set the temp to 72 and run the fan on high.

I use the air conditioner when I leave my dog for the day. A little sunshine can heat the rig in nothing flat.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:59 AM   #9

Thank you! I have been in high humidity areas, though not particularly hot. I like to leave the air on when I leave my dog for any length of time. I shall try setting the temp at 70-72 and running the fan on high.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:18 AM   #10

It was explained to me that your RV AC won't cool any quicker by setting it to a lower temp like that.

They are designed to cool the existing air by approx. 15-20 degrees and measuring the air temp inside vs. what's coming out the vent will give you a good indication of whether it is working ok or not. I have a digital infrared laser temperature gun that I use for a number of things like checking brake temps and AC performance.

And as others have said, it exceptionally hot/humid weather, leave the fan set on high. In ours, I can barely tell the difference in fan noise between low and high so high is where it stays.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:20 AM   #11

Also if the coils are frozen, you may need to shut it down for a while and give them time to thaw before kicking it back on.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:37 AM   #12

We had a similar problem with our system in the old toy hauler from time to time. During the walkthrough, the dealer tech guy told us to pull off the duct redirectors that diffuse the cold air flow. They slow the air flow down too much, and the slow moving air just allows moisture to condense on the coils and freeze. Eventually, the ice and frost just plug up all air flow, but the system keeps trying to pump refrigerant thru the coils and they stay frozen. I also found that the thermostat that's supposed to eliminate this is clamped to one of the coil tubes, and it gets a bit corroded and makes bad thermal contact between the clamp and the tube. Reaching up there with the system OFF completely, and wiggling that clamp around a bit usually ensures better contact, and it worked for me.

Also, you may be able to lower the temps further by starting with a setting about 10-20 degrees below outside ambient, then gradually lowering the set point as the inside cools. If the system draws inside air to cool it, you may find you'll do way better than the 15-20 degree differential they claim. Also, if you cover the windows with reflective insulation, it really helps reduce the heat load from the sun. Works really well for us at the Colorado River in the summer heat.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:47 PM   #13

A perfectly running ac system will have a 20 degree split across the evaporator. Room is 75 degrees and air coming out of the vents 55 degrees. Usually I won't turn a thermostat lower than 70. If ice does start to built on the evaporator you should shut the cooling off but leave the fan running to help defrost the coil. The switch/temp sensor mentioned earlier is a temp sensor that monitors coil temperature. If the coil gets too cold it shuts the compressor off until the coil warms up.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflake View Post
A perfectly running ac system will have a 20 degree split across the evaporator. Room is 75 degrees and air coming out of the vents 55 degrees. Usually I won't turn a thermostat lower than 70. If ice does start to built on the evaporator you should shut the cooling off but leave the fan running to help defrost the coil. The switch/temp sensor mentioned earlier is a temp sensor that monitors coil temperature. If the coil gets too cold it shuts the compressor off until the coil warms up.
Yep. That sensor was working fine as long as it had good thermal contact with the coils. But over time, condensation would corrode either the tubes or the clamp, or both, and insulate that contact point. Wiggling that clamp around seemed to shave off enough corrosion that it made adequate contact, and the coils wouldn't freeze the condensation. Problem was solved for at least a year or more. As seldom as we ran the AC then, it wasn't a real issue worth worrying about. But I would never stick my hands up there with the AC system running, or even "on". And yes, leaving the fan on without the AC compressor running was a big help in defrosting. Just put a pan on the floor to catch the bulk of the dripping.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:20 PM   #15

Today is the first day I've had to test suggested air conditioning settings. It's around 80 today in Nashville. I have the air set at 75 and fan to high. It's comfortable. Won't know about ice/water until I shut it off this evening. I'll let you know! Thanks!
Old 03-29-2017, 04:20 PM   #16

Yes please let us know!

Old 03-29-2017, 05:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflake View Post
Could very well be low on refrigerant. Try running the fan on high. If the airflow is
too slow it can cause the evaporator to freeze up. All HVAC units run the fan on high speed in cooling. I'm an HVAC tech so if I can help let me know.

What becomes of the "low fan" setting when the A/C is on the "cool" setting?

Is there no such thing?.....low fan/cool?
Old 03-29-2017, 07:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsnapper View Post

Not with high humidity.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:20 PM   #19

Almost a brand new camper. Do you have any other warranty items on your list yet?

I live in a very dry climate now, but spent years in the south. If I'm reading the original post correctly, I would have the dealer check it.

If this was a 3 year old unit, different story.... just me.

It is pretty cool (/no pun intended) that people are already needing AC. That means I'm only a month out from ditching my antifreeze for the 3rd time.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsnapper View Post

I'm not sure I'd have to try it on mine. Generally in a residential setting, cooling is always the highest fan setting and heat is low speed.