Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #1

An adventure

Something a bit unplanned for us, next week is Spring Break and because of some family circumstances we're heading for Southern Wisconsin area (around Lake Geneva) in our RV.

Every campground is closed, so we're trying to see if we can put our 31FK in front of a relative's home. But it would be nice to have a Plan B.

Anyone up 'dere in the Great White North have a suggestion?

I'm a bit worried about electric (think we can get by with 20A) and where to get the propane refilled.

Looks like had we be able to wait a week or two, a few campgrounds would have been open. But we can't.

thanks!
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:24 PM   #2

I'm not from Wisconsin, but looking on Google Maps, there are several Tractor Supply companies in the region, which most often fill propane tanks, there are also a few Pilot/Flying J travel centers in the region, most again will fill propane.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
snip...
and where to get the propane refilled....snip
I usually go to a gas station near me because it's convenient. As plan B's, there is a livestock/feed & grain store and a Tractor Supply further away and both of them fill propane tanks.

I used Flying J once as Flyrotor said, but most are so busy with fuel and snacks, getting my propane tank filled there was a hassle. Ther're now my plan 'C'.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:50 PM   #4

Many U-Haul rental & storage places sell propane as do many of the Menards. You will be fine with 20 amp as long as you watch what appliances are being used. Keep the wate heater on propane. Went to many rallies that only had 20 amp service.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:04 PM   #5

20 amp - not good!

You may (but probably not) be able to get along with a 20 amp circuit at your in-laws place, but the in-laws may be hitting you with a BIG bill when you blow something (appliance, lights, circuit) in their 20 amp connection. It's my understanding (from Jayco) that plugging into their small (UNDEDICATED) circuit can result in overloading that circuit and if their breakers don't immediately shut down that circuit, it can result in damage (or worse, fire) in the circuit or something attached in the house/garage/whatever. As I understand it, that's a primary reason people who keep RV's on their property have dedicated 30 (at least) or 50 amp circuits. Even my little 154BH's Owner's Manual cautioned against just plugging in to any UNDEDICATED home plug. Check it out Please!
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF1963 View Post
Even my little 154BH's Owner's Manual cautioned against just plugging in to any UNDEDICATED home plug. Check it out Please!
That's a CYA for JAYCO written by their attorney.

In my 44 years of RV'ing I have plugged into dozen's of standard household circuits while staying with friends, absolutely no problems and I know many others who have as well.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:48 PM   #7

Yes no worries on a 20A circuit, but it goes without saying you really won't be able to run any electric heaters to supplement the furnace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:23 PM   #8

The good news is the natural AC this time of year in this neck of the woods means you won't need the man made type of AC on the roof of your camper. that is where most of your power draw is from. You will be fine on a 20A for running the furnace but don't run your electric water heater if you have one. Keep on propane.

Assuming your camper has 20lbs tanks you can do swaps at almost anywhere that is a hardware store or gas station anytime of year. Some gas stations and rental places have the big tanks that can refill on the spot.

You are right that most camp grounds are still closed. There are a couple opening up mid April around us or the 1st of May. But even then they are not promising water until mid May in some of them.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:50 PM   #9

Have you checked out Devils Lake State Park? It's about a 35 minute drive from Lake George. Website states it has open sites all year.

Propane us easy to get. There is even a propane supply between the SP and West Baraboo.

I used the Allstay app and found all kinds of places, but only looked at a few.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote