Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #1

Any one use the grill attachment?

Hi Everyone,
We just bought a used 2009 Jayco Melbourne 29C and we are so excited to have a forum to share and learn from since we are new to the RV life. Thank you for your patience and sharing in advance.

With only 3000 miles on it when it was delivered most everything is in excellent or "never-been-used" state and that includes the grill attachment. We are wondering if any of you have that feature and have tried grilling? Our concern is that the heat from the grill would damage the side panel paint.

What do you think?

Happy_Clam_Family
Kate, Lynn and James
Happy Clam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:21 AM   #2

Use mine all the time. It's far enough away from the side of the camper and the heat vents out the sides of the grill instead of the back. We've had no issues.
3Pillons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:41 AM   #3

I use mine all the time. No problems here.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #4

Us it all the time no problems but you should get a piece of plasic and put it on the panel behind the grill to keep the grease from making a mess and is hard to get off. I attach it with using velcro.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #5

Like others, I use ours every trip and have never had a problem in 10 years.
2010 Jayco EXP 21M Hybrid

“This isn’t rocket science; it’s more like quantum physics.”
Topflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #6

I use our all the time also. No problems. I just make sure I close the bedroom window right above the grill when I am grilling. It is one of those small crank out windows. Our RV is a Class C 31SS model. I also clean it real good and then store it in a large hefty plastic trash bag.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #7

We use ours almost everyday when camping. The grill is just below the LR window so I make sure the window is closed. The only problem is the grill is mounted so high that I need a step stool to reach the grill, specially when having to add blocks on the grill side to level the 5th wheel.
Schooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 09:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner View Post
The only problem is the grill is mounted so high that I need a step stool to reach the grill, specially when having to add blocks on the grill side to level the 5th wheel.
This last weekend the hamburgers I was cooking were at eye level.

It's obvious that the people who design the placement of the grills don't use them.

I just modified my grill mount so it could be mounted upside down. That lowers it about 8 or 9 inches. Still too high but much better.
2010 Jayco EXP 21M Hybrid

“This isn’t rocket science; it’s more like quantum physics.”
Topflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #9

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum Kate, Lynn, and Jake! Do a search here on "grills"; quite a few threads on it over the last two years. Be prepared, lotsa reading and great input from other members. COngrats on the new MH
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:40 AM   #10

Happy Clam I've been using our RVQII grill attached to our tt, the bracket keeps it off the tt about a foot, no heat on the tt, no problem
Old 06-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #11

Tried it today on our 29D. No problems!
Tom Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #12

We would've really liked to use ours, but the bracket on the motorhome is placed just exactly in the right spot to interfere with the storage door catch; consequently, the grill will not mount, and I don't intend to move either the bracket or door catch and leave holes in the coach body. Instead, we purchased an independent grill. Fortunately, this was only one of a few design errors in the 29D.
Flytyer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #13

The grill stand folds to set on a seperate table off the coach. I'm just going to get a longer hose and still use the grill. Agree about the door. Bad design!

Wonder if there's a way to make suggestions to Jayco on design improvements?
Old 06-17-2011, 09:26 PM   #14

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies and good ideas. We have a small separate grill as a back up if the attached grill on the Melbourne 29C doesn't work out.

We have learned a lot in the last couple of weeks just camping out in our driveway! The grill will have to be one of those checkboxes for the real trip next week... (oh and did I say sewer hook up maiden voyage? Watching You Tube training video for that!)

Your support is much appreciated. Thank you all!
Happy Clam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #15

Got mine out the box yesterday to have a test run and to stow. Seems to work ok. Stowing is an issue if you try and put in the compartment next to the hanger. Have not desided where to put it.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #16

I,m surprised that no one else has mentioned the placement of the mounting bracket. New 2013 31ds, one bracket stop hits storage door frame, leaving the other stop 1/2 inch from touching anything. Jayco could have taken another ten minutes and raised or lowered the mounting barcket.
cinandtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #17

Have 29D. We use the grill all the time. I've heard others say they are afraid of cooking the paint on the side of the RV. Have not had a heat issue (yet).
Grill does not fit in the compartment it is advetised to fit in, at least not on the 29D. I have it stored in the rear right side compartment.
We were at a camp ground this past weekend and saw a rig with the grill setting on a table. The people had a long hose hooked up. I asked where he got the hose. He had it make at a hose shop. Will do that when I can find a shop to do the work.
Would like to do that also.