Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #1

Anyone install larger fresh water tank in Greyhawk?

Hello!!!
I am looking into a 2011 Greyhawk 31FK, it has a 40 gallon fresh water tank but I need at LEAST 60 gallons. Has anyone upgraded their tank? or installed a second unit? I asked about making this a requirement before purchase but I was told the dealer would not do it.

Any thoughts are appriciated.

Eddie
edmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:42 PM   #2

Hi Edmond and welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum! We have a few Greyhawk owners here. Hopefully one will be able to help ya out. While waiting, maybe you could contact Jayco directly and inquire about it. If it can be done, it may take going to another dealer.... If/when ya get it, be sure to post some pics
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 12:07 AM   #3

Thanks.
I have already contacted Jayco several times regarding other questions (they have been very helpful)..don't know why I didn't ask about the tank....lol

The ohter RV brands (forest River, Winnebago,Itasca) that I was looking at all said they would do it... But I really want the Jayco
Old 11-10-2010, 06:15 AM   #4

Dont forget that water capacity includes the hot water I have a 2008 greyhawk and dry camp at race tracks The shower head was a 2.5 gallon I found a 5.7 Litre head and works great for showering.I carry four 5 gallon jugs of water You can get army looking cans that store great .
moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:26 AM   #5

Hi Eddie, we just picked up our Grayhawk 31FK 2 weeks ago but haven't even thought about upgrading anything yet. We haven't even gone out camping in it yet. Will do so in another 2 weeks. This is our first motorhome. Always had a Jayco travel trailer.

Bob
hubbscaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmond View Post
Thanks.
The ohter RV brands (forest River, Winnebago,Itasca) that I was looking at all said they would do it... But I really want the Jayco
Ya can't go wrong with Jayco. They are pretty reliable (I had a hard time finding negative reviews on them when researching last year) and when/if something does happen, the two year warranty covers it!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #7

Sorry. Don't know about installing "larger" size fresh water tank. Don't know if it will change the weight balance of your TT (remember the golden rule to keep 13% - 15% of loaded trailer's weight on its tonque), if its frame will hold the extra weight, or even what size of tank straps one will need.s Lots of engineering questions to answer - before implementing a large size tank.

As a temp solution, perhaps one might want to buy a fresh water dispensor. And, take along 2-3 water tanks. For example: http://www.electrotemp.com/Product-C...agma-DeepClean

With above portable unit, simply transport the system and its bottles in your TT's front and rear storage compartments (to keep trailer's weight balance). When you get to your CG site, simply "set it up" - like your awning and other items. Being a skinny shape device, one could set it up inside your TT or outside. And with this system, one can have refridgerated cold, hot or normal temp water - if plugged into 110/120 AC outlet. Great for CG camping sites - that have electrical service.

Hope this "low cost" temp solution helps - until your long term solution is installed.

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:31 PM   #8

Just got off the phone with Jayco, they say there is no place to add a larger tank....hmm...
Old 11-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #9

Does the water tank have a fill cap or is it filled by water pressure or the pump? I don't have a larger fill cap like some units it's a female hose fitting much like your city water connection that fills the tank. The reason for this is that my 5th wheel has a country fill which actualy sucks water out of tanks to fill while dry camping. They use this for winterizing and sanitizing as well. If you have this type setup you could mount a spare tank in a storage space possibly like under the bed to keep it central for weight distr. The other option is putting in a tee to allow you to switch between tanks and use your existing lines and pump when your main runs out. Being a motor home space is a premium and utilized to the max unlike traliers which usually have more cavities to play with. Just some ideas. I do a lot of dry camping as well and understand the value of capacities you're talking about.
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:48 PM   #10

Send a message via ICQ to WPnorton
Right on the money! I carry 4 5 gal jugs with me when dry camping. The MH will suck water out of the jugs when the main tank goes dry. I've looked for a place to install a second tank and there's no place under the coach. There's a large space under the bed in my 31SS, but I'm hesitant to add that much weight to the rear of the coach. Sucking it out of the jugs works fine for me. It's Even though there might not be a water "hook-up" where your dry camping, there's usually a place to fetch potable water nearby. I prefer to fill jugs at my destination rather than carry extra water for an extended drive.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #11

My dad installed a 40 gal tank under his dinette bench. It worked great.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:30 PM   #12

I dont think thats a great idea in a 31ss .that would not work great with the slide .
moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #13

I have a 2002 GraniteRidge 3100SS which is pretty much the same body style. I usually keep a 7gal water dispenser from Wal-mart and a 3 gal jug in the rv that I use for washing dishes and such. I also haul a 55gal drum with fresh water that I use to refill the tanks while boondocking. I picked up a small water pump from JC Whitney that fits inside the drum and modified some tubing and brass fittings from home depot that I use to fill. Works out great and gives me a few more days of dry camping.
aipaohana is offline   Reply With Quote