Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2017, 02:33 PM   #1

auto awning rewind doe Seneca

Have you in a high wind auto-rewind for your seneca? What brand and how difficult is a DIY?

Thanks
Old 04-16-2017, 04:10 PM   #2

I did, and do. Confusing statement, but I'll explain!

As delivered by Jayco I had the Carefree Travel'r power awning as Senecas do. I did install Carefree's Direct Response electronics package on my rig. It involves the installation of new switches (on/off and extend/retract), a new wiring cable, and a motion sensor in the awning head. The hardest part is routing the new wire from the switch area to the top of the awning. On my TS it wasn't bad, the switch compartment has a chase behind the switches to the top of the awning. I dug out the Jayco applied silicone sealing from the top hole and very carefully enlarged the hole so the second cable could come out. Then you route the cable in the awning arms up to the motor head. I snaked a wire from the outside down inside and used it to pull the new cable up and out.

With the DR system installed the awning works as intended. Hit extend momentarily and the awning extends and stops. Hit retract and it comes back in and stows itself. While out if it senses movement over its threshold (wind motion) it will put the awning away. It worked as intended, retracting the awning for us many times as things would get windy while camping.

Now the but....! Last year while camping in northern Illinois a severe front moved through accompanied by straight line winds. We had the awning out but the very first gust was very powerful and broke the front awning arm before the electronics had a chance to act. The fabric was fine, the awning tube was fine, the arm was just twisted and broken. (see pic below)

Upon researching replacing the arm I talked directly to Carefree and they explained the Travel'r is their "budget" electric awning. Their Eclipse model is a more "premium" awning described by Carefree as more heavy-duty, 25% more robust. So replaced my Travel'r with an Eclipse. When I ordered the new arms (reusing my tube and fabric) I also ordered the Direct Response electronics for the Eclipse which is a 3-switch system; on/off, extend/retract, and sensitivity (low/medium/high).

Even with the electronics we are (now) committed to putting the awning away with hint of a storm! But I still wanted to keep the one-touch functionality the DR electronics provide.

Below is a link to the instructions for the DR electronics for the Travel'r: http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/do...t-Response.pdf

If I can help any more let me know!
Attached Thumbnails
Travel'r awning fail.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:55 PM   #3

Very helpful thanks!

At this point we don't use the awning a lot as even a bit of wind moves it up and down pretty violently! Maybe some spring cable tie-downs would help.