Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #1

Automatic steps

Newbie owner of a 2011 Greyhawk 31ss. Have a couple questions about the auto steps:
1) if you leave them out and start the engine, aren't they supposed to retract? I was able to drive with them out.
2) other than killing the battery, is there any way to lock the steps in with the door open? I want to park next to a curb and they keep hitting them.

Thanks!
Homefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #2

Not sure about question 1 I never noticed. For question 2 on our 2012 Greyhawk 31DS we have a switch to turn the steps on and off. I haven't tried turning them off while they are retracted. I usually turn them off when they are extended to keep them out while we are camping so they don't retract into the dog barrier I set up.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #3

Would the steps have a fuse?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #4

I have a 2013 Redhawk 26XS which is the less fancy version of the Grayhawk. Most of the mechanicals are the same. My stairs retract in as soon as I start the RV. There is no way to lock the stairs in unless you disconnect them or pull a fuse as others have said. I would be careful doing that. I can imagine someone opening the door to leave and falling because the stairs weren't there. It's like an empty elevator shaft. How many off us actually look before we enter the elevator. I know I have about fallen because the stairs weren't fast enough extending out.
rcase13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #5

Yes, the steps should retract when you start the engine unless the magnetic switch was stuck or a wire came loose. As to keeping the steps from activating get another door magnet and tape it to the existing switch.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:58 AM   #6

I had an experience where the steps were locked in the extended position and I had to pull the cotter pin in the extension arm to retract them. Used a bungy cord to make sure that they did not extend on the trip home. 2012 Melbourne 29D.
cougle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #7

I have a Redhawk. Like mine, you should have a toggle switch by the door on the left that turns steps off, next to the outdoor toggle switch.
Your stairs should retract when starting engine whether that switch is on or off- mine do.
Car-los is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #8

On my 2004 GH there's a switch on the left side of the of the cabinet as your walking into the doorway. You can switch for auto with lights or manual.
Bivwack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #9

We had a Pace Arrow, you could walk down the steps, retract the steops and lock it. With the Redhawk we have now, walk down the steps and lock the door. Now, I have too open the drivers door and turn the ignition on to pull up the steps.

Don, Lake Elsinore California
Jayco 2013 Redhawk 26XS
Ford 2012 E450 V10
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #10

If you have to turn on ignition to retract steps on your Redhawk then there is something wrong. On my Redhawk (2013) they retract each time I close the house door, unless I switch them to off with the switch by the house door.
How do you like the motor home? I like mine- our first motor home. Rides nice when packed. Our shower curtain doesn't work well-that's the only thing that not working like it should.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:25 PM   #11

Yeah I have a Redhawk as well and if the steps only go in when you start the rig than it sounds like the switch that controls the stairs has been turned off.

I have been pleased with ours. The shower current works great. My only complaint is the analog thermostat and thin mattress. I installed a digital thermostat and am losing weight to fix the thin mattress problem!

The extra magnet idea is a good idea. That is a quick easy way to keep the stairs in all the time.

nd
Old 05-13-2013, 11:45 PM   #12

We like our Redhawk and have had it out 5 times, no problems. The shower curtain had a tear in it when we bought it. They replaced it with another type, they said, it works fine. Take yours back to the dealer and get it fixed.

Don, Lake Elsinore California
Jayco 2013 Redhawk 26XS
Ford 2012 E450 V10
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcase13 View Post
Yeah I have a Redhawk as well and if the steps only go in when you start the rig than it sounds like the switch that controls the stairs has been turned off.

I have been pleased with ours. The shower current works great. My only complaint is the analog thermostat and thin air mattress. I installed a digital thermostat and am losing weight to fix the thin mattress problem!

The extra magnet idea is a good idea. That is a quick easy way to keep the stairs in all the time.

nd
oh, really!! extra magnet really work?
JENNIFER7SUSAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #14

Yeah, like my Redhawk. Doesn't look like many of us out there.
I found my mattress to be ok- wife and I are small people so maybe that's why. Yeah, digital thermostat would be a good idea. Was it simple rewire behind the box or involved?
Our nearest Jayco dealer is 50 miles away-will have to stop by there to have them get us a new shower curtain- just checking if other Redhawk owners were having the same prob-mine just seem too short and wont make it to the closed end.
Question: the tv jack in the small compartment outside- is that for hooking up to tv jack at RV parks? or is it just for hooking up another tv if we want to watch outdoors?
Old 05-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-los View Post
Yeah, like my Redhawk. Doesn't look like many of us out there.
I found my mattress to be ok- wife and I are small people so maybe that's why. Yeah, digital thermostat would be a good idea. Was it simple rewire behind the box or involved?
Our nearest Jayco dealer is 50 miles away-will have to stop by there to have them get us a new shower curtain- just checking if other Redhawk owners were having the same prob-mine just seem too short and wont make it to the closed end.
Question: the tv jack in the small compartment outside- is that for hooking up to tv jack at RV parks? or is it just for hooking up another tv if we want to watch outdoors?
I used the direct ColemanMech digital replacement. It's an easy rewire. It's more expensive to go the direct replacement route but it works really well and does not require batteries. Another nice thing about it is once you apply power to the coach it turns on and displays the current temp. The only odd thing I have noticed is there is a very long 1 to 2 minute delay before the air conditioner will turn on. I am not sure if it was like this before or if the new thermostat has this delay built into it.http://www.rvplus.com/coleman-digita...FVES7Aod1GwANg

Speaking of warranty claim my slide wiper seal was torn when I got it. The dealer replaced it without any problems and they did a really good job. The cost to me was free but the invoice to Jayco was over $700.

The TV jack in the compartment outside is used to connect a TV so you can watch TV outside. I installed a TV in the bedroom and can take it outside if I want to. So far I haven't found a need to do that.

I will be interested to hear if the OP gets his stairs to work properly. Since we have the same model it would be good to know what the issue was.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcase13 View Post
The TV jack in the compartment outside is used to connect a TV so you can watch TV outside. I installed a TV in the bedroom and can take it outside if I want to. So far I haven't found a need to do that..
I thought this was the park-cable jack. IE - if the park provides analog cable for campers you can get those channels on your tv? Note, it'll likely work as you've described it - providing antenna signal to the outside jack also, I just never thought about it that way..
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
I thought this was the park-cable jack. IE - if the park provides analog cable for campers you can get those channels on your tv? Note, it'll likely work as you've described it - providing antenna signal to the outside jack also, I just never thought about it that way..
Yeah the cable input jack is behind a small door under the water valve door on the drivers side.