Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-03-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
Automatic steps

Newbie owner of a 2011 Greyhawk 31ss. Have a couple questions about the auto steps:
1) if you leave them out and start the engine, aren't they supposed to retract? I was able to drive with them out.
2) other than killing the battery, is there any way to lock the steps in with the door open? I want to park next to a curb and they keep hitting them.

Homefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Not sure about question 1 I never noticed. For question 2 on our 2012 Greyhawk 31DS we have a switch to turn the steps on and off. I haven't tried turning them off while they are retracted. I usually turn them off when they are extended to keep them out while we are camping so they don't retract into the dog barrier I set up.

Troy & Jackie
2012 Greyhawk 31DS
Troy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
Would the steps have a fuse?
'03 Chev Avalanche Z71
'12 Jayco X20e
Brightwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
I have a 2013 Redhawk 26XS which is the less fancy version of the Grayhawk. Most of the mechanicals are the same. My stairs retract in as soon as I start the RV. There is no way to lock the stairs in unless you disconnect them or pull a fuse as others have said. I would be careful doing that. I can imagine someone opening the door to leave and falling because the stairs weren't there. It's like an empty elevator shaft. How many off us actually look before we enter the elevator. I know I have about fallen because the stairs weren't fast enough extending out.
rcase13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
Yes, the steps should retract when you start the engine unless the magnetic switch was stuck or a wire came loose. As to keeping the steps from activating get another door magnet and tape it to the existing switch.
PINNACLE 2015 38FLSA. aka: "Roam Sweet Home"
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:58 AM   #6
I had an experience where the steps were locked in the extended position and I had to pull the cotter pin in the extension arm to retract them. Used a bungy cord to make sure that they did not extend on the trip home. 2012 Melbourne 29D.
cougle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
I have a Redhawk. Like mine, you should have a toggle switch by the door on the left that turns steps off, next to the outdoor toggle switch.
Your stairs should retract when starting engine whether that switch is on or off- mine do.
Car-los is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
On my 2004 GH there's a switch on the left side of the of the cabinet as your walking into the doorway. You can switch for auto with lights or manual.
Bivwack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
We had a Pace Arrow, you could walk down the steps, retract the steops and lock it. With the Redhawk we have now, walk down the steps and lock the door. Now, I have too open the drivers door and turn the ignition on to pull up the steps.

Don, Lake Elsinore California
Jayco 2013 Redhawk 26XS
Ford 2012 E450 V10
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
If you have to turn on ignition to retract steps on your Redhawk then there is something wrong. On my Redhawk (2013) they retract each time I close the house door, unless I switch them to off with the switch by the house door.
How do you like the motor home? I like mine- our first motor home. Rides nice when packed. Our shower curtain doesn't work well-that's the only thing that not working like it should.

Car-los is offline   Reply With Quote