Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2015, 05:09 AM   #1

Awning won't deploy, '12-GH31FS

Awning won't deploy on my 2012 31FS. Pulled the switch from the wall and tested across the leads. I am getting 13.3v to the switch, so it is not a fuse. Each leg to the motor also tests good. Could it be as simple as replacing the switch?

Awning is a Care Free of Colorado "Eclipse" with a single switch.

I discovered this early this morning when I went to open the awning after the RV had been in storage for 2 months.

Anyone experience the switch going bad? Or is this a motor issue? There isnt any other controller or anything in this system is there?
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:55 AM   #2
Site Team

You could also remove the motor cover , on one end of the awning and verify that the wire connections are not corroded .
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:55 AM   #3

check power to the motor with the switched closed if power is present then motor is bad if no power with switched closed replace switch or for a test jumper the switch
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:57 AM   #4

Is there some type of limit switch for the motor. Not familiar with the circuits for the electric awnings
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedrck46 View Post
Is there some type of limit switch for the motor. Not familiar with the circuits for the electric awnings
No limit switches on my Dometec. Just release the switch when the motor binds up.

I would also suggest pulling the plug at the motor. Connect your meter to the wire back to the trailer and push the button while watching the meter:
Full voltage when pressing the switch? motor bad.
No volts? Wiring issues.

Good Hunting.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 07:31 AM   #6

Easy way to test the switch, is to pull it, like you did before and jumper the wires to complete the connection. Depending on which wires you jumper it will want to go out or in. If it is a bad switch the awning will move.

I assume your TT came with a funny looking white cable that seemed to have no purpose. When we bought our HTT, I found it in a drawer with the owner’s manuals, remotes and so for. It is a power cable so you can connect one end to your battery and the other end to the awning motor. If you still have it you could try using that, to determine if the issue is the motor or within the wiring system.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:14 PM   #7

The attached photo shows the removed switch and harness. Outside connections to switch are from battery, inside are to/from motor. It was the switch. It is only available from CareFreeOfColorado even though Houston has 8 dealers that are supposed to stock parts.

Grabbed a couple switches from Lowes and some connectors to make the jumper cables and get us back functioning, I just have to turn off the switches and swap the center connections to reverse direction.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3821.jpg  
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #8

Just as a note on this, our awning stopped working all of a sudden about a year ago. The voltage, switch, and motor were all good. What turned out to be the problem was a bad wiring splice behind the wall in a cabinet space where a pillow and blankets had been jammed in the day before. The panel behind the pillow/blankets had pushed the splice enough for the wire to determ. It took quite a while to trace this down and I was using a remote power source to open and close the awning in the interim. Just something to think about.
Sold 1999 Durango
fmichaels is offline   Reply With Quote