Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-09-2016, 05:16 PM   #1

Back to RV'ing after 25 years with no RV

Well, We are trying to remember what (and quality) is needed on a typical weekend outing with our new 29' Greyhawk MV.

I'm turning to you (those who know) so that I purchase right the first time.

Electricity:
Will the issued Electric Cord be long enough to cover any and all situations, or should I consider carrying additional electric cord as well.....??? What connection adapters will I need as we hit the road .....???

Water:
Proper drinking hose ..... Should I purchase a 30' or a 30' and a 15' just in case...??? Or should I have two 25's ...??? What other tools should I consider about drinking water.... ???

Dumping:
Is the issued dump hose of a proper quality, or should I consider a better quality dump hose .....??? What other tools should I consider about efficient dumping....???

Tire Isues:
What kind of Jack do you carry for flat tires....??? or is that an issue. My coach came with a spare.....???

Should I bring some tools:
Ford Triton E450 V-10: SAE or Metric tools ....???

I'm sure I missed many thinks ...... 25 years is a long time for an old memory .... LOL .....!!!!
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
Well, We are trying to remember what (and quality) is needed on a typical weekend outing with our new 29' Greyhawk MV.

Electricity:
Will the issued Electric Cord be long enough to cover any and all situations, or should I consider carrying additional electric cord as well.....??? What connection adapters will I need as we hit the road .....???

Water:
Proper drinking hose ..... Should I purchase a 30' or a 30' and a 15' just in case...??? Or should I have two 25's ...??? What other tools should I consider about drinking water.... ???

Dumping:
Is the issued dump hose of a proper quality, or should I consider a better quality dump hose .....??? What other tools should I consider about efficient dumping....???

Tire Isues:
What kind of Jack do you carry for flat tires....??? or is that an issue. My coach came with a spare.....???

I'm sure I missed many thinks ...... 25 years is a long time for an old memory .... LOL .....!!!!
Electric:
Always carry an extra 25' of cord. You never know when you'll need it. Carry your 15->30amp, 20->30amp, and 50->30amp dogbones. Again, you'll never know when you'll need them. Buy a surge protector/ems for your rig. Helps for storms, etc. I also swear by my Hughes Autoformer; low voltage is more apt to screw up your electronics than a power surge.

Water:
I carry 3 25' hoses. I also use a Watts water pressure regulator and the blue Camco water filters that attach to the outside of the rig.

Dumping:
Rhinoflex is your friend. The included hose is not. Get a siphon valve for the tank sprayer so you can flush the gunk. A 45 degree clear elbow is useful for seeing when your tank is clean. Rhinoflex hose supporters are nice to have, site depending.

Tires:
Can't help you there. In Coachnet I trust. I have no spare, and no interest in fabricating a mount on the back of my rig.

Tips:

Get the rig aligned at the dealer before you take it off the lot. If its new, Jayco will pay. If its not, you will. Either way, get it done.

Pay attention to the weight sticker on the driver's door. Google OCCC. Learn what it means and make sure you understand it.

Google 'GEO Method' for waste tank maintenance. Save money on the chemicals you probably don't need.

Slideout toppers are really nice to have.

Vent covers are too.

Get a awning mat roughly the same size as your awning. Get a step to go under your extending steps to the coach. You'll need it one day if the site isn't particularly level.

Have fun !!!

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #3

Here's a start. I'm sure there will be many others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post

Electricity:
Will the issued Electric Cord be long enough to cover any and all situations (No), or should I consider carrying additional electric cord as well(Yes).....??? What connection adapters will I need as we hit the road .....???

Water:
Proper drinking hose ..... Should I purchase a 30' or a 30' and a 15' just in case...???(Yes. I had two 20'hoses and cut one in half.) Or should I have two 25's ...??? What other tools should I consider about drinking water.... ???(water filter; the common blue Camco or better)

Dumping:
Is the issued dump hose of a proper quality(NO), or should I consider a better quality dump hose .....???(Yes. I have RhinoFLEX) What other tools should I consider about efficient dumping....???(Clear Elbow, I use gloves & hand sanitizer)

Tire Isues:

Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:24 PM   #4

Congratulations!

Electrical; not sure what power your coach is caplabe of 30 or 50 amp. I would for sure get adaptors, for 15 amp to plug in at home, I got a 50 to 30 amp for rare occasions, I have yet to use it. In 4 years I have had 3 occasions that my stock cord was not long enough. I just picked up a 30 amp extension cord. I also carry a 12 gauge cord.

Water; we rarely have full hookups. I carry two 25 foot hoses, and one 10 foot. I use the ten foot the most to fill the gravity tank. I also have a 90 degree elbow to take the stress off the hook up on the plastic connection. I also have a cheap pressure regulator.

Sewer hose, we use the cheap stock hose. Again we rarely have full hookups. I do have a bucket with a bunch of sewer accessories in it.

Tool; personally I just carry a tiny toolbox. A #2 screwdriver and a combo driver, tiny hamber, sm adjustable wrench, needle nose pliers, rwg pliers, multimeter, wires connectors, Electrical tape, and a lot of fuses. The first year we use a fair number of them. That gets me through a campout, anything major I'll fix a home.

Tire changing; most of the MH's do not come with a spare. Personally I would carry a good jack, breaker bar with the right socket, a plug kit and a small 12 volt compressor. Then I'd have a AAA card

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:50 PM   #5

Watch the movie "RV". Keep as a reference manual, especially the black tank dumping scene.

"We are the Millers" is another good one, but probably not with the kids.

You Tube videos on almost everything you need to do or have questions about regarding general maintenance. Specific unit questions can usually get answered here.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #6

Absolutely carry a spare, and no, don't try to change it yourself...

Been there and done that... imagine 11 hours on the side of the road waiting for someone to find the right spare on a Sunday, than showing up with a cheap off-brand tire and wanting 380.00 for it. Nope, we carry a spare.

This is what we use to carry it... it lowers the spare down easily, and still allows you to to or carry a bike rack:

Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

Not cheap, so we got the dealer to throw in as part of the deal.

Oh, and another thought... don't get a cheap water pressure regulator, they usually just limit the flow, rather than actually controlling the pressure. If they're not certified for drinking water, they can have lead solder in them.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #7

That's a neat tire carrier. I wonder how much weight it unloads the front axle after the tire is mounted?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote