Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2015, 09:24 AM   #1

Basement locking conversion to a remote

Has anyone added central locking to the basement on a late model Seneca?
I am a previous owner of many Class A high line diesel pushers, all had central locking. This is something that should be a easy mod with the right stuff. I do not need every lock, but I would like about four to work with a remote. It seems there should be a kit to make this happen.
2015 Seneca TS
jeep tj
jdshep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:17 PM   #2

If you find a solution please let us know, I have a '14 TS and would be very interested.

Made numerous other mods already, here are some: Linen closet in bathroom, 6-volt golf cart battery conversion, hardwired awning light dimmer, upgraded awning to Carefree Direct Response electronics to allow awning to self-store in high winds, Freightliner fog light addition, added remote control to Freightliner cab door locks, installed electric flush Thetford Aria Deluxe II toilet, changed out bedroom TV and put larger unit outside of door on motion bracket, Sirius radio module and antenna install for Clarion dash radio, replaced stock freshwater pump with Aquajet 5.3 gpm unit, EMS-HW50C hardwired surge protector, and others.

If interested in trying any of these mods I might be able to offer some help including photos.
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:47 PM   #3

Mods

You have been very busy
The bedroom TV a plan on remounting as it is at a angle that has issues for viewing. My ass is too big for the toilet, but I do like its low water usage so i would want the same ability if I changed it. We are not campers, we are travelers so a lot of what you have done may not apply. We have 5500 miles and never used microwave or stove yet or outside tv. The mattress sucks but it is a very special size and height so I will live with it.
This would be interesting Freightliner fog light addition, added remote control to Freightliner cab door locks. Is it a big deal?
I changed the wimpy horn as i was used to real horns on the buses.
I bought a Magellan GPS which I like as the factory unit i did not find user friendly. I use it for audio books. This one is fairly big and very user friendly. It vacuum mounted on the metal plate below the radio so it is in a very good easy to read viewing location. Looks like it belongs there. I was going to use it in the Jeep TJ, but its took big.
What did the Sat radio upgrade cost? Sirius radio module and antenna install for Clarion dash radio. I would like that, but I have not found the time to check it out?
Can you get more than 48 gallons in the fuel tanks? If so how do you do it?
Basement doors should be easy when i find the vendor and do some checking.
I do like the drive and the ride and with the noise mods i made it is fairly quite.
I am the inventor of the TRUCenter steering stabilizer BlueOx sells, but so far a 5500 miles I have no handling issues that would merit that mod.
johnd
jdshep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:16 PM   #4

The bedroom TV a plan on remounting as it is at a angle that has issues for viewing. I agree, I used a full motion bracket that allows TV to shift towards the front of the rig and tilt down for much-improved viewing angle. For storage I mounted nylon straps with quick-release buckles that secure the TV in travel position tight to the outside of the cabinet door. Also added a blu-ray player and and sound bar to the rear system. Sounds great!

My ass is too big for the toilet, but I do like its low water usage so i would want the same ability if I changed it. - The Aria Deluxe II is all china, extended bowl, and available in chair height. I feel with the electric flush it is relatively water-conserving yet has an effective pulsing flush.

This would be interesting Freightliner fog light addition - All Freightliner parts: lights, "Smart" dash switch, and wiring harness. Relatively easy to install but you have to take it to Freightliner to have the lights enabled in the chassis multiplexed system. Have to make a switch cutout in dash but Dremel made it easy.

added remote control to Freightliner cab door locks. Is it a big deal? - Once I figured out the Freightliner lock wiring, not hard. I used an AutoLoc KL550 system. Module placed behind dash near lock switch. Used mating bullet connectors on stock wiring and in just a couple minutes I could return it to stock if needed.

What did the Sat radio upgrade cost? Sirius radio module and antenna install for Clarion dash radio. I would like that, but I have not found the time to check it out? - My Clarion required a Sirius SCC1 module which is discontinued by Sirius but still available new in box on EBay. Got mine for $200. Plugs into rear of Clarion with adapter cord that was included in my giant pack of literature and other accessories when we bought the unit. Power and ground in the cord from radio, so all you need extra is an antenna. I used a mirror-mount "trucker" antenna mounted on my passenger mirror bracket. I drilled the bracket and ran the cable through the tube into the door and into the interior. Works well, I have no more dropouts than my factory Sirius in my Ford toads.

Can you get more than 48 gallons in the fuel tanks? If so how do you do it? - My fuel gauge seems fairly accurate but I try not to run it below 1/2 tank before I am looking for fuel. At 1/2 tank on gauge I need about 35-36 gallons. So I have never added much more than that to top off. Someone else commenting on our rigs suggested fueling passenger tank first, then driver's side. I also installed a ScanGauge D so I can see instantaneous and average mileage and distance to empty. I have heard others have had dealer repair/replace their sending unit to better reflect their actual tank level.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:12 PM   #5

My awning light is very very dim. You said something about a dimmer switch. Did that come factory from Jayco? If so, where is it located? We camped next to a family that had a awning same brand as ours. When they turned their light on at night, the light it produced was amazing.
Mwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:59 PM   #6

My awning light was so bright originally that I could see a "glow" from my unit driving into a campground one night! So I added this controller I obtained from Amazon: Amazon.com: Leegoal LEDwholesalers LED Strip Lights PWM Dimming Controller For LED Lights or Ribbon, 12 Volt 8/10 Amp, 3301: Home Improvement . Presently it is selling for less than $3!

What I did to install it was to separate the potentiometer from the circuitry inside the box, extending the three wires between them. I drilled a hole in the panel directly above the awning light on-off switch and mounted the potentiometer. Behind the panel I mounted the "box" which contains a small circuit board inside and has the connections for incoming power and ground and outgoing connections to the awning light. A word of warning, you must connect the device directly to the wires leading to the light, you cannot use a "common ground". I was able to identify the wires leading directly to the light and easily connect things. So now I turn on the light with the original switch and dial in the desired level of light.

Not sure why your light appears to be dim, mine is practically blinding if on full intensity when dark outside. Maybe Jayco changed something?
Old 09-23-2015, 07:27 PM   #7

Would like to see pictures of linen closet you added in the bathroom. We have a 14 TS also ans bathroom space is quite limited.
Old 09-23-2015, 08:09 PM   #8

Here is closet post with picture.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...7ts-27117.html

The picture is my first rendition, it now has been replaced with a 12" taller version!
Old 03-08-2016, 05:20 AM   #9

Hi Robbyr. Can you post the link to your fog light install. Picture too if you can.

Thanks,
Jxn2083
jxn2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxn2083 View Post
Hi Robbyr. Can you post the link to your fog light install. Picture too if you can.

Thanks,
Jxn2083
I borrowed from another forum member Shultz01 (thanks!), here is that thread:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f5...hts-23094.html

I'm sorry I didn't take any pictures myself, but I do like the way the lights look and are indeed factory Freightliner. When I bought my lights, "smart" switch, and wiring, the part numbers (listed in Shultz01's list) on a couple of the items might have been superseded but the dealer was easily able match old part number to current numbers. Wouldn't be surprised if numbers have changed again!

The hardest part of the entire install was inserting the connections from the wiring harness you get that comes from the fog lights to the wiring connector that is under the cab floor (driver's side) above the chassis batteries. It's not that the actual insertion is difficult, it is seeing and getting to it. You have to remove the battery cover panel (3 screws) to see the batteries and then look up under the floor to access the connector. I had to use a mirror to help me see up and another pair of hands is very helpful to hold the mirror and light while you are doing this. You unplug the connector from the module and then it is easy to put the wires in. But then you have to contort again to plug the connector back into the module.

Be advised if you do go this route you can install all the parts and wiring yourself, but you do have to take it to a Freightliner dealer to have them enable the lights in the onboard control modules. Takes literally 5 minutes and I got a great deal from my local dealer because it was in getting other things addressed and I did buy all the parts from them.

Another thing to be aware of is that since they are "factory" they will only turn on with the low beam headlights on. You cannot turn just the foglights on by themselves, and they go off whenever you select the high beams, even the "flash to pass" feature. This functionality is fine with me, but maybe not for everyone.

I am very pleased how they came out and they work great. And this forum is wonderful because we can exchange information like this easily. Good luck!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Old 03-26-2016, 06:55 AM   #11

Rob,

Thanks for the fog light info. I purchased all the parts. I have a stupid question. How do you remove the air brake knob? Is it a Allen key? (If yes, What size is it if you know.)

Thanks,
Jim
jxn2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxn2083 View Post
Rob,

Thanks for the fog light info. I purchased all the parts. I have a stupid question. How do you remove the air brake knob? Is it a Allen key? (If yes, What size is it if you know.)

Thanks,
Jim
You are welcome!
Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.

As far as the parking brake knob, it is held to the shaft by a small roll pin. You use a small punch and small hammer to gently drive it out. It doesn't matter which way you push it out, but I have found that driving it from the right towards the steering column works best for me. You can twist the knob to orient the shaft if you need to. Tap lightly so the pin doesn't go flying!

When I put it back together I slightly insert the pin into the knob, but not far enough to enter the center bore of the knob. Then I place it back over the shaft and align the pin and hole. Then I gently tap the pin until it is flush. Then just a few light taps with the punch to center the pin in the knob.

Here is a picture of the 1/8" pin punch I use:
Attached Thumbnails
Brake knob pin punch.jpg  
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST

Tags
basement, central, locking, modifications, remote