Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-12-2017, 07:41 PM   #1

Battery

Does anyone have an issue with sliding out the battery to check fluid level? Mine will only come out about half way. I talked to the dealer and as usual they were useless. I talked with Jayco and their answer was it was an engineering problem but they had no answer. I have to use a mirror to check cell levels and a syringe to add water. A royal pain in the butt.
jdgmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:05 PM   #2

Sounds like the same tray in a Melbourne. If so one of the rivet heads hits the second stage of the drawer slide. I ended up drilling the rivet out and put in a flat head bolt. To check the water level I still need to disconnect one terminal.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:22 PM   #3

I have a35 un same battery problem. I went to a watering system that you don't have to see levels just pump it in it shuts off when full
street rod 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #4

I replaced my battery last year and after looking at all that spagetti stuffed in there i closed the door as fast as i could and haven't looked back since��
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:52 PM   #5

My battery tray pulls all the way out, but "they" didn't make the cables long enough to do so......

2015 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS
Shakedown St. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:57 PM   #6

Same on my 09 Greyhawk I added a bigger door and modified the battery tray housing, made it bigger to hold a two battery slide out tray I now have two batteries and can get to them a little easier, next thing I am going to extend the cables so I do not to feel like I am ripping the wiring harness out of the frame dumbest design I ever saw
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:20 PM   #7

Thanks folks. I appreciate all the quick replies. I've been think about adding a 2nd battery. Sounds like a good solution.
On a side note, if anyone has issues with wondering or fighting cross winds, I found an easy solution for about $200. I picked up a roadmaster steering stabilizer. Simple install and terrific results. The rig drives straight down the road and doesn't budge when the semi's go by. I had a couple of questions and the tech support people were great. Unbolt the factory unit and bolt on the new one. Took about an hour.
jdgmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:43 AM   #8

You should start a new post with the handling solution. It will get much more exposure / visibility by those who may need it...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:37 AM   #9

My battery tray would only come out half way as well. About a month ago I pulled the whole battery box (with battery tray assemble) out to modify for adding more batteries to the storage compartment just to the rear of the current battery box. I needed to drill holes in the side of the current battery box for wires to go through to the other storage compartment. While doing so I was able to remove the battery tray by lifting the release levers on each side of the tray. I then worked the tray back and forth and was able to get it to fully extent and retract. Not sure what gave way but something was stopping it from coming all the way out. I tend to believe it might have been the head of a rivet as mentioned in previous post. Maybe by me removing and working the tray back and forth it was able to sheer the head of the rivet off and allow the tray to fully extend as it should. Hope this helps

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:23 AM   #10

The problem I have with my 2015 31DS is the negative battery cable is too short. I just unhook the cables from the battery then pull out the tray and it work fine.
2013 Jeep Wrangler
Blue Ox Tow Package
Blog: https://mfalcontraveler.wordpress.com/
MFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:01 PM   #11

I had the same problem. To fix I installed a new, longer, negative cable to ground. Works fine and pulls out completely. 2005 Granite Ridge 31SS
Charles & Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote