Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #1

Battery converter (charger) - simple upgrade (2005 Greyhawk/Granite Ridge)

When getting our new-to-me Granite Ridge ready to travel, I found that the battery box has had a hard life.
It's fairly rusty and there are indications of battery outgassing. I checked the battery (dated 12/2010) and it took about 1/2 gallon of distilled water. I also found that the battery discconect was non-fucntional (5A fuse is blown).
So clearly the life of a battery in this thing has been hard and short.

I replaced the battery and started looking at how it charges. It seems to charge to 13.6v when plugged in, which is a fairly high hard charge. It holds there, and it's probably high enough to eventually boil the battery acid, which is why my battery box has done so poorly.

So off to discover if we've got a smart charger or not:
Under the bed, there is a cover panel. Removing that panel you'll find the converter (battery charger), inverter, and power distribution.
The converter on our motorhome is IOTA DLS-45. Searching the interwebs, I find:
1) This is a great clean 12v power source.
2) It's a dumb charger. It either charges at 13.6v or 14.2v, depending on setting. It will overcharge if left plugged in long enough.

Here's the good news, Iota makes a module to make this a "smart charger" and it just plugs in. No replacement of the inverter. The part is called an IQ4 smart controller and it's about $25....
http://www.iotaengineering.com/iq.htm
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If you are considering using the IQ4, check and make sure there is a plug-in connection point on your IOTA Converter/Charger, not all units have the connection point.

Bob

On Edit: If the IOTA C/C is mounted to the back of the Load Center (breaker/fuse panel), there won't be a plug-in connection. If the IOTA C/C is remote from the Load Center, then there might be a plug-in point.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #3

Bob,
My DLS-45 is mounted on the other side (approximately) of the 12v load center.
Here's what I pull from the interwebs on that issue. IOTA doesn't mention that not all the DLS-45s have charge jacks:

Quote:
If your DLS-45 is only two years old (2010) then yes it does have the jack on it. Please look at it.
If the model says “Series M”, the phone jack is next to the fan.
If not the series M, the phone jack is right on top the unit next to the label that says DLS-45.
Mine is circa 2005. I understand that all the DLS models within 10 years have the plug.

Looking at mine, I have that RJ-11 jack on the unit. It indicates "insert plug for quick charge".

Note, apparently Jayco used an integrated model, which I think is what you're talking about it. It's model is ILC-3045 and it does not have this jack.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
snip..... Note, apparently Jayco used an integrated model, which I think is what you're talking about it. It's model is ILC-3045 and it does not have this jack.
Yes..., and is the same unit I have in my 2005 Eagle TT (IOTA C/C mounted on back of Load Center).

I spoke with IOTA a bout two years at length about their ILC-3045 unit in my 2005 Jayco, although they said that the DLS-45 C/C mounted to the back of the Load Center is replaceable, it still won't be IQ4 compatible because these DLS-45's were configured to Jayco specifications. They said Jayco packaged the ILC-3045 this way to reduce costs.

The end result was that I mounted a new Progressive Dynamics 9245 C/C w/Charge Wizard a couple of feet away from the ILC-3045 assembly, discounted the DLS-45 wires from the Load Center, and landed the wires from the Progressive C/C to the Load Center...... works great! I can always use the IOTA DLS-45 as a backup (just re-connected the wires).

Bob

On Edit: Starting with model year 2010 Jayco started phasing in Progressive Dynamics C/C's.

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote