Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-18-2016, 04:41 PM   #1

Battery dead after first use

Bought a "used" 2016 24K with less than 5000miles on it. Took it out for a short weekend trip to make sure everything worked properly. No issues, but after winterizing and not using it for 3 weeks, I went out today and the engine battery was dead! FYI...the Coach battery was in great shape.
Anyone have any idea why an essentially brand new battery would lose its charge so soon? I double checked everything and nothing was left on that I could find.
Thanks for your help...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
campaholix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 04:52 PM   #2

There are typically many parasitic drains on both the engine and coach batteries.
We always install a Trik-L-Start in our motorhomes so that when the coach battery is being charged by the converter by either shore or generator power so is the engine battery.
Another option is to install a convenient disconnect switch on each battery or simply disconnect each ground cable when stored. Or run the engine alternator on a regular basis to keep the battery charged.

It could of also simply been time for the battery to go.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 04:57 PM   #3

(First blush response... maybe there was a reason someone sold it with only 5k miles.)

You'll probably have to do some digging to see if the battery is getting charged like it should.
If that's OK, you have to investigate, and correct, any battery drains when the engine is not running.

Good luck.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:15 PM   #4

There's several parasitic draws on the chassis battery including radio, transmission, and several computers. I learned early on to keep a Battery Tender Junior plugged in to a dash outlet to keep the chassis battery charged. Three weeks is a bit quick, but I'm betting that a Battery Tender (or Trik-L-Charger) would keep it charged just fine.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:58 PM   #5

Suppose your first blush is a possibility...though I was told it was an older gentleman who tried camping for the first time and liked it so he immediately traded it in for a bigger rig.
Not electrically inclined but I'll do some digging around to see if I can find something draining the juice.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
There's several parasitic draws on the chassis battery including radio, transmission, and several computers. I learned early on to keep a Battery Tender Junior plugged in to a dash outlet to keep the chassis battery charged. Three weeks is a bit quick, but I'm betting that a Battery Tender (or Trik-L-Charger) would keep it charged just fine.
Run that by me again...if I plugged a battery tender into a dash outlet, wouldn't that create a drain on the battery? Just a poor farm boy but that didn't click for me.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:09 PM   #7

The Battery Tender comes with an adapter to plug into a dash outlet. That plug that goes into the dash is the output of the Battery Tender and will charge the chassis battery. The input would be provided by plugging the Battery Tender into a 115VAC outlet via a plug in the MH or via an extension cord.

You can also connect the Battery Tender directly to the battery with provided alligator clips. Using the dash outlet is just the easiest way to get the power from the charger to the battery.

Yes, the normal connection for the dash outlets is for it to power something. But actually the outlet doesn't care which way the juice flows. You can either draw from the battery or send juice to the battery.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:37 PM   #8
Site Team

Take the battery to a auto parts store and have it load tested.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:18 PM   #9

I had a Ford Van Camper conversion years ago. It's battery would go dead in a few days. I replaced batteries, I unplugged fuses, I traced wiring, I basically went nuts!

Till one night, when sitting in the parked truck, I noticed a dull glow coming from the edges of the glove box.

You guessed it - the switch that turns off the glove box light wasn't working - and the light was staying on when you closed the glove box.

Sometimes dead batteries can be caused by the darndest things.
But I'm with Norty1, the first step is to get that battery tested.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:54 PM   #10

Unfortunately , the OEM battery that comes with a new coach is not the best
Quality.
Our new 2016 bought in June, battery already gone bad at delivery.
The 6 month MFG. warranty had expired.
Buy the best one available and take care of it.
katiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
I had a Ford Van Camper conversion years ago. It's battery would go dead in a few days. I replaced batteries, I unplugged fuses, I traced wiring, I basically went nuts!

Till one night, when sitting in the parked truck, I noticed a dull glow coming from the edges of the glove box.

You guessed it - the switch that turns off the glove box light wasn't working - and the light was staying on when you closed the glove box.

Sometimes dead batteries can be caused by the darndest things.
But I'm with Norty1, the first step is to get that battery tested.
LOL! I had the same thing happen with an old car I once owned! In my case it was the trunk light that was staying on because the switch that turned it off when the trunk was closed had failed.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:19 PM   #12

Quote:
The Battery Tender comes with an adapter to plug into a dash outlet. That plug that goes into the dash is the output of the Battery Tender and will charge the chassis battery. The input would be provided by plugging the Battery Tender into a 115VAC outlet via a plug in the MH or via an extension cord.

You can also connect the Battery Tender directly to the battery with provided alligator clips. Using the dash outlet is just the easiest way to get the power from the charger to the battery.

Yes, the normal connection for the dash outlets is for it to power something. But actually the outlet doesn't care which way the juice flows. You can either draw from the battery or send juice to the battery.
Well I'll be damned...I never knew that. I use a battery tender Jr on my Goldwing to keep the battery fresh....never knew it could flow juice the other way. Learn something every day. Thanks for the tip
Old 11-19-2016, 01:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Take the battery to a auto parts store and have it load tested.
Good idea...bad on me for assuming a new battery would be useful for a while.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post
LOL! I had the same thing happen with an old car I once owned! In my case it was the trunk light that was staying on because the switch that turned it off when the trunk was closed had failed.
Thanks for all the ideas and feedback...one the rain stops I'm off to poke around and make sure I don't have a light on somewhere
Old 11-19-2016, 01:31 PM   #15

Uh oh, just remembered that my last post has a lie embedded in it. I said the Battery Tender came with an adapter to connect to the dash of the MH. Not true. I had to purchase it separately here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-19-2016, 02:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Uh oh, just remembered that my last post has a lie embedded in it. I said the Battery Tender came with an adapter to connect to the dash of the MH. Not true. I had to purchase it separately here.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ok that makes more sense...of course I just finished tearing my garage apart looking for my lighter adapter! thanks for the update
Old 11-19-2016, 02:27 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanNJanice View Post

The same thing can happen with those stupid lights they put by the mirrors on the backs of the sun visors. Those things are unplugged on my dually.
etex211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:16 AM   #18

Dnbgould: You can keep the chassis battery charged in a MH using the 12v dash outlets because on a Ford E-450 the dash outlets are always on. In most cars, when the ignition is turned off, the dash outlets are also turned off. So plugging in a Battery Minder into a car outlet wouldn't charge the battery. Your Goldwing may have a hot outlet all the time like in a Ford E-450 or it may not be turned on when the ignition key is turned off. You will have to check that.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 04:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-Camper View Post
Dnbgould: You can keep the chassis battery charged in a MH using the 12v dash outlets because on a Ford E-450 the dash outlets are always on. In most cars, when the ignition is turned off, the dash outlets are also turned off. So plugging in a Battery Minder into a car outlet wouldn't charge the battery. Your Goldwing may have a hot outlet all the time like in a Ford E-450 or it may not be turned on when the ignition key is turned off. You will have to check that.

Roger...thanks for the info

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk