Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2015, 07:36 PM   #1

Question Battery for Coach Question

Bought a 1996 Jayco Designer Series 2830 IB. The battery for the 12 v coach part is a replacement battery and it is way to big for battery box and is sitting on the headlight connector, can anyone tell me what size battery and type it would take, should it be a deep cycle? I contacted Jayco and the email I got back is they don't carry parts for the chassis. Just need to know what it came with so I can get the same. Thanks for any information.
coloradojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:55 AM   #2

I'm not completely familiar with the Designers series, but is that on the E-350 chassis? You should be able to download the manual from Ford's website.

If it is the 350, according to this manual:

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../96ecoog1e.pdf

It is a Motorcraft BXT-65-650, which I'm not sure they even make any more. But at least you should be able to search for the specs and find the closest modern one.

Good luck!
LkptRvPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:57 AM   #3

P.s.
Here is the link to the manual search:

Owner Manuals | fleet.ford.com
Old 07-22-2015, 09:14 AM   #4

The right battery is there for the E350 this is to run microwave, T.V., lights, fan, air conditioner in the back living part if not connected to electricity. Thanks, guess I didn't explain my question right.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:35 AM   #5

Jim,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. You are actually asking a very complicated question. "House" or "Auxiliary" batteries that you are asking about are not typically spec'ed because it is entirely dependent on how you are going to use them and what performance you require.

But lets back up a second. Just to make sure we are on the same page, the "house" battery will run your lights and fans and some other 12V devices, but will NOT run your air conditioner or your microwave. It will run a TV only if you have an inverter installed. (unless you have a 12V TV, which is rare).

Ok, so for what battery you need, we need additional specific information about how you will be using your camper. But I don't think that's the conversation you are looking for.

So, my answer for you is: whatever fits. Take measurements and buy the battery that fits in your box.

A Deep cycle is a better option, but is it required? No. I personally am not using a deep cycle on my Grayhawk.

Hope this helps,

LRP
Old 07-22-2015, 02:34 PM   #6

Thanks, yes I am talking about the house battery, new to this, our first motorhome or trailer of any type. My husband did inform me after I posted that the battery doesn't run the Air Conditioner, Microwave, and TVs. A duh moment I guess. Thanks all for responses.