Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #1

Black Tank Flush

Hey guys newbie here! Bought my first MH a 2015 Redhawk 31xl. I am having an issue with the black tank flush, it has never worked since I picked it up. I hooked up the water and pressurized the system and nothing was happening. No leaks but also no water getting into the black tank. I took it into the dealer and they changed out the vacuum breaker and sent me home. In hind site I really should have had them run it for me while I was there (silly me). I get home and I try to test it myself and the issue is still the same. No leaks, no flush.

With the dealership being 1 1/2 - 2 hours away I would like to avoid going there. Here are some things that I noticed in testing the system:

1) the new vacuum breaker works, but seems to lessen the pressure of the source
2) water is making it into the inner piping just fine

Could the vacuum breaker lessen the pressure so much that it doesnt have enough pressure to run the flush? I am considering getting some pvc and just running without the breaker. Basically, has anyone had this experience?
rawnyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:43 PM   #2

I assume you're using the separate black tank flush water inlet on the side of the coach? And I'm also assuming your black tank valve is open?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:56 PM   #3

Yes separate inlet (not the fresh water inlet) and yes the black tank drain is open.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:36 PM   #4

I have a 2013 Greyhawk and inside the storage compartment are a couple of dials for each of the different water settings (city fill/country fill/normal/etc...) There is one for tank flush. When a dial the numbers 1 and 5 I believe and turn on the water through the flush inlet my sprayer comes on automatically. Open drain and let run for 5 min.
Not sure if you have the same setup.
Marshmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:04 PM   #5

So about that black tank flush kit...

Frankly we have better luck not using it. Just using a hose above the toilet helps us get a much better flush than using the so called tank flush kit. We only used that for our first few trips but found we were left with an odor that only went away when we used our old method of flushing the tanks that we learned in our first class c.

None of the handles inside our water bay have anything to do with black tank flushing, only how to fill, flush lines and sanitize...
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:29 AM   #6

Would it be worth getting an aftermarket one? Has anyone else had bad experiences with the stock one?
Old 08-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #7

We use the one in our 29MV and I love it. I usually drain the tank at the campground and when I get home I use the flush to get any residual in the tank. I then go to our municipal reclamation plant and drop the rinse water from the black tank. For the first time in years of RVing, I have zero odor. This practice works well for us and I will continue to do it.
Mnxtrik8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 04:43 PM   #8

Ok I can now see that water is flowing through the flush a pathetically slow rate. Could the actual nozzle be broken? I don't think its clogged cause it has been this way from the dealership.